Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Junior

Bigger Day In Xavier BBall History

The night West announced he was staying?
    or
    The news Miller was going to replace Steele?

I'll go with Miller.

Miller +1....so far.

The bigger day will when Miller leads them to the F4, and the biggest will be when they win it all!

Opening of the Cintas Center for me.
    2023 Sweet 16

West to stay was the biggest for me
    Balls of Steele!!

Modern Era- Xavier beats Georgetown to get to the Sweet 16.

"Old" era- Xavier wins the 1958 NIT, which at the time was a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    Modern Era- Xavier beats Georgetown to get to the Sweet 16.

"Old" era- Xavier wins the 1958 NIT, which at the time was a big deal.
    Agree with you on both, but, with respect to the two offered up, Miller in my mind, and it isn't even a race. The stakes are so much higher now. We arrived in 2014 with the invitation to the Big East, having worked hard to put all the other program elements in place.

Miller was about correcting an unfortunate anomaly. It had to be corrected. An incredible run of coaches had been brought to an unfortunate end by a guy who would have been great for Xavier had he known how to coach at this level; had he been open-minded or more capable of flexing and adjusting his approach.

As it is now, and I haven't been drinking - yet, I almost see Sean's return as devine, in the informal sense.

He takes us to the Final Four. He may damn well win a natty with and for us. Not a bad career, going from the Johnny Carson Show to a National Championship with Xavier University.
    X A V I E R

The biggest day in Xavier BBall history is the day anyone who wanted to scrap sports was told to pound salt and X committed everything to basketball. THAT is the day.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    As it is now, and I haven't been drinking - yet, I almost see Sean's return as devine, in the informal sense.
    Clearly you have already started. Well played.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Does #2 happen if not for #1?

I mean, we've had some great success over the years, but alot of it can get associated with a few key players. David West, Tu, and Trevon / JP come to mind.

The individual or team success during the tenure of these guys was critical in raising our profile. Who knows...if DWest doesnt come back how good would that team have been? I think we were a 3 seed and he was National POY. We lost to (defending champs) Maryland in the second round. Do we even make the tourney without West?

And the next year (with Sato and Chalmers) we were pretty blah until "THE RUN", which was a miracle. Matta left after that, paving the way for Miller the FIRST time.

So remove DWest as a senior and ask if Matta would even be a candidate for OSU. If not, then Miller waits behind Matta for awhile longer, right? Or does he jump and take the HC job elsewhere instead of waiting? Maybe he flames out at Ball State and would be out of coaching.

Maybe the announcement of joining the BE might have been a bigger day than both of these.

Or maybe the choke job against FSU that freed Mack to leave and resulted in Steele.

Or maybe the guy wearing the bag on his head in the NIT game that led to Travis' ouster.

to many ifs....

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    The day that Dayton fans claimed to pass us as a program.