Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XUOWNSUC View Post
    What is wrong with the youth systems in the United States? Just curious - I know next to nothing when it comes to soccer. Can someone explain?
    Klinsman obviously had his issues, but he summed up our youth development system pretty well, ""The MLS and the US has a very odd approach to development. In MLS you don't get to play much until you are 22 and leave college. Over seas if you aren't a star by 22 you are most likely never going to become one". "
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Well at least the u17 is doing well. I think the Arena hiring was what did us in. He rolled out Gonzalez and Besler out there and expected at least a point. He gave no reps to any of the young guys we have in Europe. I mean Miazga, hyndeman, Wright, and Horvath. They aren't at top teams, but these are good young players. Even Vickers should have gotten time.

I didn't catch the match because it was on BEIN (which I don't pay for the Tier on Dish). I'm glad I couldn't watch it. What a low point for US soccer. Although, I could see it coming earlier in the schedule before Klinsmann.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

And this was talking soccer.
    Run the table.

Looks to me to be a combination of several things. I look at the talent objectively and just don't see much there on the US side. A couple of bright spots.......thats about it. Coaching........yeah I dont know. I look more at development and youth programs and getting better athletes playing soccer rather than basketball, football as key. No easy "fix" is there. Really easy to point fingers right now.....

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Looks to me to be a combination of several things. I look at the talent objectively and just don't see much there on the US side. A couple of bright spots.......thats about it. Coaching........yeah IdontW know. I look more at development and youth programs and getting better athletes playing soccer rather than basketball, football as key. No easy "fix" is there. Really easy to point fingers right now.....
    All valid points. There are many points in the soccer pyramid that need to be fixed.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

I don't think it was fair cuz we had to play against 2 countries.
    Last edited by bobbiemcgee; 10-11-2017 at 01:18 PM.
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Looks to me to be a combination of several things. I look at the talent objectively and just don't see much there on the US side. A couple of bright spots.......thats about it. Coaching........yeah I dont know. I look more at development and youth programs and getting better athletes playing soccer rather than basketball, football as key. No easy "fix" is there. Really easy to point fingers right now.....
    Keep in mind Trinidad & Tobago's team were mostly made up of USL players. Honestly, I think our men's team could probably beat Trini. I don't expect us to win a World Cup or anything, but we have far superior talent than what the hell happened yesterday. That was one of the largest embarrassments of all time. It was not only bad for our reputation, but bad for brand and popularity of the sport as well.

This is berry, berry bad......

The whole soccer thing has grown on me, especially World Cup. JOIN THE WORLD!

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    Keep in mind Trinidad & Tobago's team were mostly made up of USL players. Honestly, I think our men's team could probably beat Trini. I don't expect us to win a World Cup or anything, but we have far superior talent than what the hell happened yesterday. That was one of the largest embarrassments of all time. It was not only bad for our reputation, but bad for brand and popularity of the sport as well.
    Yeah but I'm talking about more than just a single game. This team didn't advance just because of 1 loss. They played poorly through the vast majority of qualification.