Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast
    Palin: Global Warming Studies 'Snake Oil'

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_14361335

When I can't sleep, I sometimes read old threads.

I found this post kind of scary:

Quote Originally Posted by pizza delivery View Post
    I think the US needs global warming. Restrictions can slow China's and India's growth, plus, it's really our next best opportunity to develop and sell a new technology. I think even anti global warming people will say, screw it, let's try to bank roll this thing. Weird. Nobody has a stomach for bad news? In the end, what's the worst we end up with? Clean air? A stable ecosystem that can support the billions and billions and billions yet to be born? Even if the world isn't warming, there is still a need for sustainable, clean practices.
    The first line would likely drive any economist crazy. Should it be US policy to try to reduce other countries ability to be productive and raise standards of living...by lying???!!!! hmmm.

But beyond that, I think Pizza's point is that it shouldn't matter if global warming is actually happening. In the effort of combating global warming, the world will become a better place.

In itself, lying for the great good strikes me as immoral.

Outside of that, as we are seeing from this scandal, such a strategy hurts environmentalist's ability to encourage the public to tackle real problems. Thank God, truth finds a way of coming out.
    Last edited by GuyFawkes38; 02-09-2010 at 02:03 AM.
    "I am at this moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip."

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFawkes38 View Post
    Should it be US policy to try to reduce other countries ability to be productive and raise standards of living...by lying???!!!! hmmm.

But beyond that, I think Pizza's point is that it shouldn't matter if global warming is actually happening. In the effort of combating global warming, the world will become a better place.

In itself, lying for the great good strikes me as immoral.

Outside of that, as we are seeing from this scandal, such a strategy hurts environmentalist's ability to encourage the public to tackle real problems. Thank God, truth finds a way of coming out.

Not such a white lie is it? I think I was trying to speak to the fact that the US and global response to climate-gate was so inert. It was like, "errrr, uhhh, stfu we're going to Denmark to get this thing done!!!"

People's passionate careers have been based on this bunk science. It's a really sad thing if it's all as bad as it appears.

The deniers get to have their day, against all odds really, but it wasn't because they knew about the fake science. Perhaps good intuition? The numbers were really stacked against them.

Now Sarah freakin Palin can reel off a bunch of bad jokes at the expense of the left and others can resume poor sustainability practices. Hopefully the pendulum doesn't swing too hard so as to be a wrecking ball. The Dems need to get behind this controversy in an appropriate way or they'll all be "left looking stupid".
    76-53. It's history not footnoted. - wkrq59

I'm older and it's cold in Denver this week, so I don't believe in Global Warning. I will, however in July.

'Climategate' was 'a game-changer' in science reporting, say climatologists

Science has been changed forever by the so-called "climategate" saga, leading researchers have said ahead of publication of an inquiry into the affair – and mostly it has been changed for the better.

This Wednesday sees the publication of the Muir Russell report into the conduct of scientists from the University of East Anglia's Climatic Research Unit (CRU), whose emails caused a furore in November after they were hacked into and published online.

Critics say the emails reveal evasion of freedom of information law, secret deals done during the writing of reports for the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), a cover-up of uncertainties in key research findings and the misuse of scientific peer review to silence critics.

But whatever Sir Muir Russell, the chairman of the Judicial Appointments Board for Scotland, concludes on these charges, senior climate scientists say their world has been dramatically changed by the affair.

"The release of the emails was a turning point, a game-changer," said Mike Hulme, professor of climate change at the University of East Anglia. "The community has been brought up short by the row over their science. Already there is a new tone. Researchers are more upfront, open and explicit about their uncertainties, for instance."

And there will be other changes, said Hulme. The emails made him reflect how "astonishing" it was that it had been left to individual researchers to police access to the archive of global temperature data collected over the past 160 years. "The primary data should have been properly curated as an archive open to all." He believes that will now happen.

Bob Watson, a former chair of the IPCC and now chief environment scientist for the British government, agreed. "It is clear that the scientific community will have to respond by being more open and transparent in allowing access to raw data in order that their scientific findings can be checked."

In addition, Bob Ward, policy director of the Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change at the London School of Economics, said: "Researchers have to accept that it won't just be their science that is judged but also their motives, professionalism, integrity and all those other qualities that are considered important in public life."

Researchers outside Britain say a row that began in Norwich now has important implications for the wider scientific community round the world.

"Trust has been damaged," said Hans von Storch of the KGSS Research Centre in Geesthacht, Germany. "People now find it conceivable that scientists cheat and manipulate, and understand that scientists need societal supervision as any other societal institution."

The climate scientist most associated with efforts to reconciling warring factions, Judith Curry of the Georgia Institute of Technology, said the idea of IPCC scientists as "self-appointed oracles, enhanced by the Nobel Prize, is now in tatters". The outside world now sees that "the science of climate is more complex and uncertain than they have been led to believe".
    Too bad for the high priests of the new religion...
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

Climategate Continues...

From the article:
    Published last week ahead of a major United Nations climate summit in Durban, South Africa, next month, their work was cited around the world as irrefutable evidence that only the most stringent measures to reduce carbon dioxide emissions can save civilization as we know it.

It was cited uncritically by, among others, reporters and commentators from the BBC, The Independent, The Guardian, The Economist and numerous media outlets in America.

The Washington Post said the BEST study had ‘settled the climate change debate’ and showed that anyone who remained a skeptic was committing a ‘cynical fraud’.

But today The Mail on Sunday can reveal that a leading member of Prof Muller’s team has accused him of trying to mislead the public by hiding the fact that BEST’s research shows global warming has stopped.

Prof Judith Curry, who chairs the Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at America’s prestigious Georgia Institute of Technology, said that Prof Muller’s claim that he has proven global warming skeptics wrong was also a ‘huge mistake’, with no scientific basis.

Prof Curry is a distinguished climate researcher with more than 30 years experience and the second named co-author of the BEST project’s four research papers.

Her comments, in an exclusive interview with The Mail on Sunday, seem certain to ignite a furious academic row. She said this affair had to be compared to the notorious ‘Climategate’ scandal two years ago.
    I wonder where this is all coming from?

‘For the Berkeley team to have chosen this particular moment to launch a major international publicity blitz is a highly unethical sabotage of the peer review process.’
    Ah, the Berkeley team. Probably some right wing fundamentalist Christians...

How much taxpayer money is taken away from practical research and development to enhance all of our lives to dump down this hole?

The Black Hole of Global Warming Spending

In 2011, your federal government will spend $10.6 million a day on climate change. Annual expenditures will be about $4 billion on global warming research—now called climate change–despite the fact that there has been no global warming since 1998
    A billion here, a billion there and pretty soon you are talking real money. And that is just the research. Imagine what the EPA regulations and compliance costs every American with regards to the New Religion.

It is always about the tradeoffs. We live in a country that lays off police, firemen and teachers but yet we lavishly fund leftist Berkeley intellectuals to pursue a "Green" agenda that when stripped bare is just leftist agitprop against the free market.

When communism fell those old Marxist didn't go away, they just went "Green" (link, link, link).

As someone who truly cares about the environment, including the people that actually have to live, work and pray in it, it is past time to cast the money changers out of the temple.

Quote Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
    Americans Skeptical of Science Behind Global Warming

Note that most Americans polled haven't even followed the Climategate scandal that continues to break. I would have to bet those numbers are only going to get worse for the Holy Church of the Warmist Apocalypse.

Sometimes one of my kids has a fever. I take his temperature three times to make sure every time. Each time it comes up a little different, sometimes a bit more than a little (they don't like poking under the tongue I guess). It is amazing that we can think that someone can take the temperature of the earth with any reliability. Sure it is a stupid argument, but taking a temp of my kid should be easier than take the temp of the planet.

Not only that, they think they can take that temperature and then compare it back to two hundred years ago (or 2000 years ago) when they weren't even alive and we didn't have temperature stations. The arrogance is something. They think they can do this to a very exact degree. They also claim that a raise in temperature of of 1 degree in a hundred years based on their measurements is a sign of the apocalypse.

We have seen that they make adjustments and politicize the data. I wonder what that graph would look like if it was honest. Is this what we are really fighting about? It is madness.
    Can we really tell the temperature of the entire planet? When people say that this year or that year is one of the hottest in the history of the earth, do you think that they are taking the entire temperature of the planet? What if you found out they were only telling you what their pre programed computer simulation was running, and their temp was not dependent on any actual temperature calculations?

I'm fairly certain that if I'm ever in the public eye, it will be Snipe who will unearth the horrible things I've said on the Internet. He can definitely access the way back file!

So, almost ten years since this revelation, where the temple walls were to crumble after the curtain to the sanctuary was torn asunder and the whole hoax revealed for all to see....the 'game-changer'...

It's still 'settled science' and the New Green Deal is gaining traction.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.