Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I guess what I'm saying is that 8 months ago, given his HS and collegiate career up to that point, he might have been just consider another dude that was a marginal college athlete. His last season just doesn't align to the story of his career up to that point.
    The same thing was said of Joe Burrows.

This dude is intriguing to me.

I tried to research his recruiting rankings coming out of HS, and ran across an article where he could have been part of the 2016 class, but instead reclassified to 2017. I never could locate any type of actual recruit ranking or "number of stars" or whatever. Ultimately, he was basically "Hampton level" talent. And then he sits out a year as a redshirt. And then he doesn't really play that much in his Redshirt Freshman season (10 mpg), and then suddenly as a Sophomore he was basically unstoppable. Suddenly he became on of the hottest transfers on the market. What a ride for this guy!

I definitely want to see if his game translates to the BE. He doesn't really take 3's (often), and he shot 57% from the field and would rank 5th among 60 former XU players in getting to the FT line per minute. So, he's an absolute BEAST inside.....against Hamptons opponents.

At 6'6", can this translate? The BE has a gang of 7 footers in the league, and these aren't the stiff clumsy 7 footers. These are the glass cleaning, shot blocking NBA aspiring type.

Obviously this guy was a late bloomer. We've had our share of these kind of players over the years, so my hopes are high. Is he still developing? is there still some ceiling? Even if he's fully developed, he could be productive in the BE.

He's spoken about having NBA aspirations. I assume he realizes the list of inside player that are 6'6" is pretty short. He must know that developing a reliable 3 pt shot is simply a "must" for him to have any shot at the NBA. If he shows up next year as a 3 point threat AND with the ability to do damage on the inside.....watch out.

really like this pickup.

On a related note, I think XU has found a real niche in the transfer market. we have had VERY few transfers that didn't work out. We always seem to get at least one productive year from them...as opposed to many incoming freshmen who just flame out after a year or 2. I'd like to see 3 transfers on the roster in most years (1 as a senior, 1 as a junior, and 1 sitting out).

Quick List of Transfers, broken into groups:
    Key contributors- Hankins, Stainbrook, Lavender, Crawford, Myles, Thornton, CJ, McLean, T Taylor, Kanter, Massey, Sears,
    Role Players- Andre Walker, Philmore, Abell, Gaston, Bernard, Castlin, Welage, Moore, Carter, A Taylor
    Busts- Obi Harris, Desmond Walker, maybe 1 or 2 more guys from 20 years ago....
    The Big East has had a plethora of successful 6'5-6'7 guys that are athletic and can score and contribute in a big way.

Curiosity and in bad need of getting a hoops fix led me to the Hampton/Howard game where Stanley got his 40. Full game on YouTube.

Seeing him in the flow of an actual game is obviously different than highlight video but his ability to score is undeniable. Here's some observations when watching a full game.

If there ever was a "Blue Collar" player, you're looking at him. Does all the dirty work with a nasty edge. Goes full bore nearly 100% of the time in transition. He lives in the paint as they were trying to pound the ball to him in a pretty dense zone in which he was constantly double teamed. When he does get it you're not gonna take it from him, he basically scored or got fouled. They had NO ONE who could guard him so they hacked him alot. But here's the thing, not good from the line...yikes.

Also, he seemed to struggle staying in front of his man in the half court defensively...even got embarrassed a couple of times.

Hopefully these 2 weaknesses can be improved upon but you know what they say about old dogs and new tricks.

For your viewing pleasure....very entertaining game!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8CD0txi4Ov8
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Sophomore
    This dude is intriguing to me.

I tried to research his recruiting rankings coming out of HS, and ran across an article where he could have been part of the 2016 class, but instead reclassified to 2017. I never could locate any type of actual recruit ranking or "number of stars" or whatever. Ultimately, he was basically "Hampton level" talent. And then he sits out a year as a redshirt. And then he doesn't really play that much in his Redshirt Freshman season (10 mpg), and then suddenly as a Sophomore he was basically unstoppable. Suddenly he became on of the hottest transfers on the market. What a ride for this guy!

I definitely want to see if his game translates to the BE. He doesn't really take 3's (often), and he shot 57% from the field and would rank 5th among 60 former XU players in getting to the FT line per minute. So, he's an absolute BEAST inside.....against Hamptons opponents.

At 6'6", can this translate? The BE has a gang of 7 footers in the league, and these aren't the stiff clumsy 7 footers. These are the glass cleaning, shot blocking NBA aspiring type.

Obviously this guy was a late bloomer. We've had our share of these kind of players over the years, so my hopes are high. Is he still developing? is there still some ceiling? Even if he's fully developed, he could be productive in the BE.

He's spoken about having NBA aspirations. I assume he realizes the list of inside player that are 6'6" is pretty short. He must know that developing a reliable 3 pt shot is simply a "must" for him to have any shot at the NBA. If he shows up next year as a 3 point threat AND with the ability to do damage on the inside.....watch out.

really like this pickup.

On a related note, I think XU has found a real niche in the transfer market. we have had VERY few transfers that didn't work out. We always seem to get at least one productive year from them...as opposed to many incoming freshmen who just flame out after a year or 2. I'd like to see 3 transfers on the roster in most years (1 as a senior, 1 as a junior, and 1 sitting out).

Quick List of Transfers, broken into groups:
    Key contributors- Hankins, Stainbrook, Lavender, Crawford, Myles, Thornton, CJ, McLean, T Taylor, Kanter, Massey, Sears,
    Role Players- Andre Walker, Philmore, Abell, Gaston, Bernard, Castlin, Welage, Moore, Carter, A Taylor
    Busts- Obi Harris, Desmond Walker, maybe 1 or 2 more guys from 20 years ago....
    Key contributors I agree with but Disagree with the role player list. Several of your role players were busts in my opinion. A Taylor, Moore, Castlin, Gaston, Welage we’re all busts in my opinion based on what was expected of them coming into the team.

Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    Key contributors I agree with but Disagree with the role player list. Several of your role players were busts in my opinion. A Taylor, Moore, Castlin, Gaston, Welage we’re all busts in my opinion based on what was expected of them coming into the team.
    Not Gaston.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Not Gaston.
    Not Gaston. I’m think of a player during Miller’s/Mack’s time. I think he was a juco

Walker?

Could someone please help me on what merit or condition is he applying for immediate eligibility? Seems like a long shot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Could someone please help me on what merit or condition is he applying for immediate eligibility? Seems like a long shot to me.
    I believe it is that he has already sat out a year as a redshirt
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Also didn’t the conference cancel all sports?