Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast
    Here's what I saw from Section 107, Row U, Seat 9. Xavier was up 10 with 11 minutes left in the second half. Up until then, Xavier had their way in the paint with layups, alley-oop dunks and short shots near the basket. Hankins was having a field day. Out of that timeout, SH changed defensive strategy and put a big man in the middle of the lane, removing the easy inside shots. Instead of noticing and adjusting, Steele let the team flounder for the next nearly 4 minutes, when they didn't score and had several turnovers, blocked shots and poor shots down low trying to still get the ball into the lane. It was then that SH methodically got themselves back into the game and took the lead with about 5 1/2 minutes to go, eventually winning going away. That's a 20 point swing in the score from the 11 minute point on, if you're scoring at home. Steele will eventually be okay, but he got a bit outcoached right there and to me, that's why X ultimately lost that game. SH knows that X has no three point shooting threat, so they forced X to their weakness and it worked.
    Pray the Rosary daily

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    I don't believe that is true. Most college teams don't play really good defense. And, most teams don't focus on defense because most college teams are made up of 3-4-5 star players got those ratings because of their offensive production. If you are that guy that switches off, covering for a teammate who switched off to cover for a teammate who's helped another teammate by cutting off the baseline, and you force a fourth pass and bad shot at end of clock, there's no glory in that. It is great basketball but you aren't celebrated in the same manner as when you get a thunderous dunk as a result of an easy pass or if you drain a wide open three. Consequently, you don't see really tough as nails defense. And, I would add, tough help defense for the full shot clock takes tremendous effort that makes you less effective on the offensive end. And, with no bench, playing really hard defense takes everything you've got. Our players, for the most part, didn't get to X because they were great defensive players. And, it is tough (although not impossible) to teach them at this point in their careers.

I know Mick Cronin is probably the least popular name on this board. But, U.C. seldom has really strong shooters or scorers and they get twenty wins every year. I heard one of the U.C. Asst. coaches talk about their most important metric and I thought it was very interesting. He said they tell the team to get forty DEFLECTIONS per game and if they do, U.C. will regardless of anything else. Deflections in this context are not turnovers. A deflection is touching the ball when the other team is on offense regardless of whether or not you cause a turnover.

All that said, I think it is way too late to try and turn X into a defensive juggernaut. But, my point is there are different ways to win and you don't have to have a Blueitt and Macura on the team to do it. But that ship has sailed for this year.

I reiterate my thought that this team will likely win less than six games in the B.E. If they win 7-8, I'm ecstatic and Steele gets my vote for Coach of the Year. The leadership isn't there; the coaching isn't there. I'd like Steele to play Kennedy, James and Hardin more. This is not a rebuilding year----it is a bridge year to the rebuilding that must occur next year. If we get through this year, Steele will be a better coach (like his mentor, he doesn't seem to be able to adjust well in mid game) and the players will be better for the experience---if they get that experience via playing time. To me, it is senseless to have Castlin on the floor when we have three younger players who need experience. and, we need to find out if they can play. I can't give up on any of them until I see much more.

But, I also think this is a bit of a dangerous year. Every program has down years but one down year can easily lead to two down years and two down years leads even more easily to three down years. It doesn't have to go on too long before we become a DePaul and then it is so hard to turn things around. I'm not predicting that (certainly don't desire it either) but just pointing out how thin is the ice on which we walk.
    Not sure how anything in this rant disproves what I said, but OK

FYI, Tom Crean also obsessively talks about deflections. He’s not exactly running defensive juggernauts out there.

We have a 3 pt shooting threat...Welage. He's shooting 44%.
    We just can't figure out how to set him up.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    We probably COULD find a way, if Q or Naji didn’t jack one up first.

It’s a game. I’m hopeful Travis can get through to these guys and make the most of this as we rebuild following the mess Mack left.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    Not sure how anything in this rant disproves what I said, but OK

FYI, Tom Crean also obsessively talks about deflections. He’s not exactly running defensive juggernauts out there.

I would have preferred a reply to my post something like this...…………..

"Not sure how anything in this missive disproves what I said but O.K.".

Webster defines a rant as "a wild, unhinged tirade, an emotional outburst or diatribe". A missive is defined as "a long or thoughtful and organized written communication".

Nothing I communicated was meant to be emotional or unhinged. I merely disagreed with your statement that offense trumps defense. But, my intent was to disagree with you in a sincere, professional respectful manner and then substantiate my opinion in an unemotional way. So, I included information about Mick Cronin's defensive coaching strategy and in the process was able to acknowledge that even arrogant pricks with a Napoleonic complex can occasionally get something right.

Then, in my attempt to be thoughtful and organized I segued (efficiently I think) into a discussion of why this year's X team cannot hope to emulate coach Cronin's defensive emphasis. In the process of so doing, I validated (at least somewhat) your thesis. For this team to succeed this year, their offensive production must exceed their defense.

I ended by repeating (perhaps needlessly I agree) my conclusion that this year's team will not win more than six conference games. I actually think t will be closer to 3-4 games. On that prediction, I have standing with me, none other than the poster known as "D. West" woi I assume to be the real D. West, the great one.

Now, if I had said something like the following (which I admit I have come close to saying on this blog)……………………

"Q. has no f***ing business jacking threes. He is a s****y, f***ing shooter who can't hit the ocean from the beach". That, I think, would qualify as a rant.

Now, I will admit my post was rather long-winded (a quality further qualifying it as a missive). But, that was in deference to the many Xavier alum who read this board. A Jesuit education allows the recipient to read and comprehend multiple paragraphs containing more than one idea and so my length is really just a sign of respect for the readers of my post, many of whom obtained just such an education.

I pledge to never rant or become unhinged in my posts on this board with the possible and occasional exception when I comment on Q's three point shooting.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    make the most of this as we rebuild following the mess Mack left.
    I don't mean to be confrontational, but I hate this narrative. Do you, for one minute, think our record would be the same if Chris was coaching this exact roster? Do you think Naji / Q / Paul would run off 5 straight no-pass possessions in crunch time while Chris was aimlessly calling offensive sets that were being ignored? The answers are No and No.

The comments on this board and twitter that have existed for nearly 8 months that allude to, insinuate, or suggest that we now have a better coach are laughably absurd. Maybe one day Travis will be a solid Big East caliber coach, but Sean and Chris are elite coaches, and Travis has a long way to go to even see them from where he is standing. The first year in the big chair is hard, everyone understands that, and going from being their buddy / ass't to the head guy is not an easy transition. It isn't popular, but this year was the first year in a LONG time where UC had the better coach on the bench than Xavier...and while that stings, it is the reality for the near future.

I have no doubt that Travis will learn, develop, grow, and improve in his role. No one should be upset or surprised that he has taken some lumps this year, and without question or debate, Willard dominated the last 12 minutes of that game from a coaching standpoint. However, we have to also believe that Travis will be better in the long run for having gone through this transition year in 2018-19.

I'm genuinely excited about 2019-20, hopefully everything holds together, everyone stays healthy, and I believe we will have a very solid coach leading this team by that point. This year is just going to be rocky, it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    3 things needed
    - A guy to get the ball to the shooter.....check
    - A shooter.....check
    - A guy that works to get the shooter open................

You can get a shooter open with a drive, resulting in a collapsing defense, a kickout, and possibly a perimeter pass. But when the opponent has a shotblocker in the post, then the defense doesnt need to collapse and the passing lanes dont open, and then the drive results in a finish attempt at the rim against a shot blocker. Exactly what we did vs. Seton Hall.

Or, you can set effective off ball screens to get the shooter open. I'm not seeing that very often. O'Mara and Gates were very effective at this. kanter as well. On this squad, all I see are ON-BALL screens by Tyrique, and he rolls to the basket too early most of the time. Sure it's cool when he dunks, but he's gotta stay in position a little longer so the ball handler can get around the pick, providing an option to have the ball handler try to finish.

Tyrique needs to stay close to the basket and Welage needs to stay far from the basket. If Tyrique steps out to the perimeter to screen for Welage, it's not gonna work too well becasue Tyrique's man will just stay at home since Jones is not a threat from outside.

Personnel on this team just isn't right.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMoeMusketeer View Post
    I don't mean to be confrontational, but I hate this narrative. Do you, for one minute, think our record would be the same if Chris was coaching this exact roster? Do you think Naji / Q / Paul would run off 5 straight no-pass possessions in crunch time while Chris was aimlessly calling offensive sets that were being ignored? The answers are No and No.

The comments on this board and twitter that have existed for nearly 8 months that allude to, insinuate, or suggest that we now have a better coach are laughably absurd. Maybe one day Travis will be a solid Big East caliber coach, but Sean and Chris are elite coaches, and Travis has a long way to go to even see them from where he is standing. The first year in the big chair is hard, everyone understands that, and going from being their buddy / ass't to the head guy is not an easy transition. It isn't popular, but this year was the first year in a LONG time where UC had the better coach on the bench than Xavier...and while that stings, it is the reality for the near future.

I have no doubt that Travis will learn, develop, grow, and improve in his role. No one should be upset or surprised that he has taken some lumps this year, and without question or debate, Willard dominated the last 12 minutes of that game from a coaching standpoint. However, we have to also believe that Travis will be better in the long run for having gone through this transition year in 2018-19.

I'm genuinely excited about 2019-20, hopefully everything holds together, everyone stays healthy, and I believe we will have a very solid coach leading this team by that point. This year is just going to be rocky, it is what it is.
    You think mack is an elite coach? No way no how. In my opinion, the record would be quite similar, if not the same if mack were coach. Do you not remember last year where the team looked completely lost against average competition yet were bailed out by JP or tre basically playing hero ball because they were just so damn good? I do because I was in the building for a few of them.

Elite coaches go to final fours and dont routinely get destroyed time and time again against the main competition in their conference. Mack elite? Geezus. I'm sorry I know that statement was a very small piece of what you said, but people calling mack an elite coach obviously strikes a nerve with me.

It's not fair to judge Steele based off the talent that was left to him...you realize we have at the least 5 guys that wouldn't be on a big east roster had Mack not struck out so much on the recruiting trail? Of course a bit of that is on Steele, but the buck stopped with Mack.
    Last edited by Xville; 01-04-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    You think mack is an elite coach? No way no how. In my opinion, the record would be quite similar, if not the same if mack were coach. Do you not remember last year where the team looked completely lost against average competition yet were bailed out by JP or tre basically playing hero ball because they were just so damn good? I do because I was in the building for a few of them.

Elite coaches go to final fours and dont routinely get destroyed time and time again against the main competition in their conference. Mack elite? Geezus. I'm sorry I know that statement was a very small piece of what you said, but people calling mack an elite coach obviously strikes a nerve with me.

It's not fair to judge Steele based off the talent that was left to him...you realize we have at the least 5 guys that wouldn't be on a big east roster had Mack not struck out so much on the recruiting trail? Of course a bit of that is on Steele, but the buck stopped with Mack.
    https://thebiglead.com/2018/04/10/to...ches-rankings/

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-cur...caa-basketball

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...now/ar-AAvIyNt

Yes, I think Chris is an outstanding coach, if you don't, all good.

I'm in the building for all of them, and I'll take Chris all day, everyday. Was he perfect? No.

If we had Mack on the sidelines coaching the same roster, we maybe have two more wins (San Diego State and perhaps SH...but Willard outcoached Mack in Cintas more than once, too). The Xs and Os may not be perfect, but this team's issue is the Jimmys and Joes.