Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    What is your solution? Impose a penalty on the school where the player transferred from? Players transfer from almost every school. I certainly can't think of any workable solution, but I do share your distaste over kids being forced out. Just nothing you can do about it.
    How about this rule - Increase the scholarship limit to 16. And if you give a kid a scholarship, the scholarship is his and his only until he graduates from your school or 6 years, whichever happens first. If he leaves the school without a degree, you lose the scholarship until the 6 year mark passes.

It would make coaches think long and hard about recruiting kids who are bad characters, bad students, early entry candidates, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dc_x View Post
    How about this rule - Increase the scholarship limit to 16. And if you give a kid a scholarship, the scholarship is his and his only until he graduates from your school or 6 years, whichever happens first. If he leaves the school without a degree, you lose the scholarship until the 6 year mark passes.

It would make coaches think long and hard about recruiting kids who are bad characters, bad students, early entry candidates, etc.
    Sounds like a solution to me. The "no solution" response is a cop-out. There are plenty of viable options.

I like that. It would be a kiss of death for many major programs so it will never happen, but it could help to make college basketball a collegiate sport again instead of the "NBA Lite" that it is turning into.
    Eat Donuts!

Well, the situation seems to be *ahem* working itself out.

Hey, I certainly appreciate the sentiment. And like I said earlier, this type of situation at Kentucky also stinks to me. I just think there are too many pitfalls to that rule. First, guys like Calipari will see it as an extra 3 'freebies.' They'll continue to recruit questionable guys because they have an extra three spots to give. Second, schools are going to end up getting hurt through no fault of their own. What about the Churchill Odia's of the world?

Here's a stupid idea.....The NCAA currently takes away scholarships from schools who aren't meeting the academic numbers they need...The NCAA could authorize more scholarships to schools who consistently meet and exceed the mark....

Would definitely increase the amount of academic fraud and violations at a lot of schools
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!