Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    Q is one of our best shooters so far.
    That is so depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Q shot 8 shots Friday night. NONE of them inside the arc. He shot 25%. No attempt by your point guard vs a zone to get penetration, to draw the defense and get to the hoop or kick to a better shooter. That is VERY flinch-worthy. That is also "settling" rather than being aggressive. This from a guy who couldn't shoot 29% all last year. It's not isolated, but long term reality.
    I respect Steele not throwing his player under the bus, but on this board, we can talk about reality and it IS concerning.
    By the way. Bad shots by bad shooters is just like a turnover and against better teams, we're not gonna get those offensive rebounds. Steele has to recognize and fix this.
    Which of Q’s threes were bad shots and how would him not taking those looks make it easier for him to drive and kick? Let’s just ignore the fact that it’s not true at all he didn’t look to get in the lane (turns out that’s more difficult when the lane is packed!). Unless you want Q, Naji and Scruggs shooting a long of mid range jumpers (hint: you don’t) I’d be very interested in hearing your solution.

Again, unless your proposal is for Xavier to shoot a statistically extremely low amount of 3’s (which is not how successful teams play basketball), the numbers aren’t crazy at all right now.

Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    Players can’t control missed shots.
    Yes, they can. They can make them.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Bad shots by bad shooters is just like a turnover and against better teams, we're not gonna get those offensive rebounds.
    I swear the other team scores off of every bad three attempt.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by American X View Post

even good shooters miss 60% of their shots. agonizing over missed shots doesnt help you in any way

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    Obviously you admit that you do not know what they shoot in practice.

Tyrique Jones does NOT shoot 3's most likely because he is unreliable in practice.

4 games into the season and over 20 practices too tell the coaches who can shoot. If nobody here watches and evaluates practices, then we only know 25% of the capability of players.

Just like EVERY year, X and 300 other schools take time to gel and understand roles. We all know these are not paid professional players. They are 18-23 year olds who spend 10-20 hours in the gym to get stronger and understand each other.

X like Duke, Virginia, Florida, Auburn, etc. is shooting horribly but X is NOT turning the ball over like so many other teams.
    I am not worried or concerned about the offense. I hope the defense gets superb and the X team continues to get fouled and make free throws.
    Playing great defense is vital with this team but it does not mean terrible offense is acceptable. There have been numerous times where Naji or Q had an. open lane to the basket or at least enough room to dribble in for a mid range jumper and they instead decided to take the quick, lower percentage three.

Naji mid range is pretty solid and he has a much better chance to create a little contact and get to the line.

Steele told us who is shooting best and second best. Now Kyky (best shooter by far in practice) is still out, but Moore, the clear second best shooter should be shooting the 3 more than most... yet Naji (14%) is shooting the most and much more than Moore... so are Q and Scruggs. Moore needs to be playing a little more and shooting a lot more.

I think that Bishop will start knocking some in as well.
    Balls of Steele!!

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    D1 level players should be able to consistently drop open 3's - we've had a ton of wide open misses. That doesn't give me alot of confidence that the percentages will rise. It would be different if we were missing contested and tough threes, but we've had a TON of wide open looks and they're still this bad percentage wise.
    I've noticed this myself, and take it as a positive. X is moving the ball extremely well and creating opportunities for wide open shots more than I've ever seen. I do think the percentage of makes will rise. Hard to get much worse...
    It's winning time.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by American X View Post

I went back and looked at the game log and XU missed 18 three pointers. We got offensive rebounds on three of these and M St got the defensive rebound on the other 15. They scored on 11 of those 15 possessions, a much higher percentage that the rest of the possessions. I think that is probably true for most games and most teams. Long rebounds tend to lead to rebounds by guards and small forwards and runouts by the defense.
    Frank Layden (Jazz): "Son, what is with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?" "Coach, I don't know and I don't care!"

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by MADXSTER View Post
    I think that Bishop will start knocking some in as well.
    I like Bishop. He has good rotation on the ball, but he has to get the ball above the rim for it to go in. Shot is way too flat. Coaches are probably working with him on that I would believe. His two free throws in the exhibition game were the same way.
    Frank Layden (Jazz): "Son, what is with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?" "Coach, I don't know and I don't care!"