Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Game Thread: Xavier v Iowa State University (11/24/2021)

VS.

THE MATCHUP

NO. 25 XAVIER UNIVERSITY MUSKETEERS (4-0) VS.
    IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY CYCLONES (4-0)
    NIT SEASON TIP-OFF 7:00 PM
    WEDNESDAY, NOV. 24, 2021
    AT BARCLAYS CENTER IN BROOKLYN, N.Y.

TV, RADIO & LIVE STATS

Television: ESPNU with play by-play from Rich Hollenberg and analysis from Fran Fraschilla.
    Radio: 55KRC with play-by-play from Xavier Hall of Famer Joe Sunderman ('79) and analysis from Xavier all-time leading scorer and Hall of Famer Byron Larkin ('88). Xavier broadcast is also available on Sirius XM channel 381 and SXM App. 971.
    Live Stats: Media stats at Statbroadcast.com and fan stats at GoXavier.com.
    Last edited by paulxu; 11-24-2021 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Add game time
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Is Iowa State any good? Should Xavier win by 40 or just 20?

If their nickname is the Cyclones, why is their mascot a mutant cardinal / Foghorn Leghorn on steroids?
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by American X View Post
    Is Iowa State any good? Should Xavier win by 40 or just 20?

If their nickname is the Cyclones, why is their mascot a mutant cardinal / Foghorn Leghorn on steroids?
    Well, they are coming off a 2-22 season and predicted to finish last in the big 12. Outside of that, I know nothing about them.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Well, they are coming off a 2-22 season and predicted to finish last in the big 12. Outside of that, I know nothing about them.
    They were really 2-22 last year? How is that even possible with a bunch of Big 12 non conference buy games? Or did they play nothing but conference games because of covid?

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    They were really 2-22 last year? How is that even possible with a bunch of Big 12 non conference buy games? Or did they play nothing but conference games because of covid?
    Yeah pretty crazy..0-18 In conference. Not sure who they played ooc

I did a little more digging and found that they did have a top 50 guy come in this year, along with 5 transfers so I assume it’s a much different team. I’ll be interested to see what the line will be.

2-22 jeez... they definitely don't miss Hoiberg

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Yeah pretty crazy..0-18 In conference. Not sure who they played ooc

I did a little more digging and found that they did have a top 50 guy come in this year, along with 5 transfers so I assume it’s a much different team. I’ll be interested to see what the line will be.
    Yeah, they were pretty dreadful last year, post Tyrese Haliburton year, and they lost a lot, figured they were gonna regress, but man they regressed big time. They're 111th in KenPom, but they have some talent, one of the guys that returned Izaiah Brockington is a 6'5 or so guard I think who's a senior, and he's probably their best player. Not much of an outside threat but is aggressive in looking for shots. The top 50 guy is the other guard Tyrese Hunter, who gets a bunch of steals and does a bit of everything, hopefully Scruggs, Odom, etc. are up for the task!

I will be looking to see if Xavier continues the excellent ball sharing as during Norfolk State or reverts to out-of-rhythm long jumpers early in the shot clock. All the shots on Sunday looked in rhythm and none from 28 feet. Also want to see Miles & Stanley to show progress on the inside.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Sophomore
    If you want reasons for optimism: they are really loose with the ball, they shoot it poorly from the perimeter, and they don't get to the FT line.

If you want to spend all day being nervous: they defend the arc really well, and typically when Xavier is shooting it poorly from the perimeter, the rest of our game is a bit of a slog. They also defend the ball really well, and we are susceptible to turning it over against good ball pressure, so allow that to distract you for the next 11 hours while you're pretending to work on the day before Thanksgiving.

Supporting Member
    X-8…seems about right. A line won’t be touching.