Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    All-Conference
    I highly doubt Steele hired a 3rd assistant without input from his staff. I'm sure they're fine with it.

Didn't Dante just take a job somewhere else? Kinda strange to jump ship before even a season.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by flagship View Post
    Didn't Dante just take a job somewhere else? Kinda strange to jump ship before even a season.
    Not if he's coming back to the Flagship...you of all people should know that.

good move.

He's a winner. That fire and passion will burn forever for him, and it's contagious.

I like the hire. Welcome back Dante.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    I highly doubt Steele hired a 3rd assistant without input from his staff. I'm sure they're fine with it.

Cannot be so naïve; first I doubt Hayes/Johnson had real input to the decision; doubt they participated in interview or were asked for any assessment of candidates. If anyone had input other than Coach Steele it was somebody higher up the XU food chain.

Of course the other assistants knew a third was to be added and whatever natural competitiveness they feel is on the back burner now. But bring DJ, a returning hero, and Travis better be able to soothe personalities better than any Dana's barista. Surely both Hayes & Johnson accepted the jobs with some eye toward future endeavors and growing responsibilities. Now DJ waltz in and the spotlight goes...

I'm not against the move b/c it is HC decision; just saying the other coaches would naturally feel some misgivings.
    I have seen only two great plays: Hamlet and put the ball into the basket

I can't imagine Hayes or Johnson have any worries about Dante Jackson joining them on the bench. At least not from a career standpoint. Those guys are miles ahead of Dante in their careers. They might be worried (rightly or wrongly) about whether Dante can keep up with them, but other than a few stories over the next couple of days and a the occasional mention you're likely to hear during the season of Dante's playing days at Xavier, there's zero reason for Hayes/Johnson to worry about Dante stealing any of their thunder.

"Go" sorry to use Socratic method here but why was DJ hired--that is what particular skills/abilities/knowledge/qualities does he bring to the table ? Frankly I think that answer is rather simple and does not involve being former player/grad assistant. Is the answer leadership ? I knew I could get something correct today. But certainly Hayes/Johnson will be comfortable with that.

Now I'm not suggesting there will be dissension in the coaching ranks just that Hayes/Johnson expectedly may be uneasy and slower to embrace the situation.
    I have seen only two great plays: Hamlet and put the ball into the basket

Again, I don't see any reason for Hayes/Johnson to be uneasy unless they're worried Dante can't keep up and is going to hinder their efforts somehow. Dante is pretty clearly #3 of 3 in the assistant pecking order.

Quote Originally Posted by joe titan View Post
    "Go" sorry to use Socratic method here but why was DJ hired--that is what particular skills/abilities/knowledge/qualities does he bring to the table ? Frankly I think that answer is rather simple and does not involve being former player/grad assistant. Is the answer leadership ? I knew I could get something correct today. But certainly Hayes/Johnson will be comfortable with that.

Now I'm not suggesting there will be dissension in the coaching ranks just that Hayes/Johnson expectedly may be uneasy and slower to embrace the situation.
    Confusing. he went to school here. That plays into his interest in the role, and our interest in continuity.

He's a low risk, rock-solid guy that can help bridge the gap from the winning tradition to the bright future.

Easy choice and a great chocie.

Not saying that it will happen, but potential futue XU Head Coach in Dante....