Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post

Ok, one more, sue me. I know, such and such a coach had difficulty in their first few years (part of my learnin' it would seem4). For every one of those I can probably find ten that started out that way and never got better - or started out better and got worse.

I expect more. Don't you?
    *insert Miller and Mack, the two best coaches in Xavier history.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    I want to be clear, I have never and am not now saying Travis should be fired. But the arguments I hear for the acceptance of mediocrity and lack of progress is all hope and no change. Mack left the cupboard bare. Players graduate (um, yeah). Whatever happened to "reloading" (I know...Mack's fault - how long are we going to hang our hat on that tired diatribe?)

A lot of, "Do you realize....?" Thanks for the condescending concern for my edumacation. Admittedly, a doctorate from UC is hardly wirth middel sckool learnin'.

All I want to add are two more points:

First - I think it is almost universally accepted here that, despite the glimmers of hope and promise and potential (those words again), not much progress, if any, is evident. Is that too much to ask? After in his third year at the helm we should see more than the same old same old? Is our benchmark the MAC and MVC, who even in the A10, we found inferior and would resent being compared with as a 'mid-major' (that debate and consternation went on for ages). That's all I'm really arguing for; proof not promise.

I don't think we should accept anything less than excellence. How that is measured is up to each individual. Don't hate on me for expecting more and having a different opinion of what that might look like and how long that might take.

Ok, one more, sue me. I know, such and such a coach had difficulty in their first few years (part of my learnin' it would seem4). For every one of those I can probably find ten that started out that way and never got better - or started out better and got worse.

I expect more. Don't you?
    This is a good thread because it exposes the divisions among posters.

I reject your premise. There is not universal agreement there has been no progress. If you read the posts associated with this thread you could reach that conclusion rather easily. There has been progress. We are 3-0 playing better basketball with only eight healthy scholarship players, half of whom (since you said you went to U.C., I'll point out that 50% of eight is four) had never played in a game with anyone else on this team just one week ago. So, let me say that again. We have eight healthy scholarship players and only four of them have ever played a game together. Yet, we won three games in three days. That's progress.

In addition when I look at individual personnel we have better players than last year. That's progress. When I look at team chemistry I see players playing together and communicated better. That's progress. When I look at the adjustments Coach Steele made over the last three games, I see creative decisions and a willingness to try new player combinations. That, too, is progress.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say board posters are "hating on you". Do you mean others disagree with you? If that is what you mean, why not say that? I don't hate you for posting ideas with which I disagree. I support your expressing your opinions. It makes for good debate even if your thinking is incomplete, your prose filled with jargon and your overall message garbled.

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    He was sending KyKy a message. KyKy got the message: he pumped in 24 against Toledo, becoming the key performance and reason why we won the game.
    How was his defense against Toledo? You want to know the answer? Who gives a sh*#. We need his scoring and offense. That's the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    This is a good thread because it exposes the divisions among posters.

I reject your premise. There is not universal agreement there has been no progress. If you read the posts associated with this thread you could reach that conclusion rather easily. There has been progress. We are 3-0 playing better basketball with only eight healthy scholarship players, half of whom (since you said you went to U.C., I'll point out that 50% of eight is four) had never played in a game with anyone else on this team just one week ago. So, let me say that again. We have eight healthy scholarship players and only four of them have ever played a game together. Yet, we won three games in three days. That's progress.

In addition when I look at individual personnel we have better players than last year. That's progress. When I look at team chemistry I see players playing together and communicated better. That's progress. When I look at the adjustments Coach Steele made over the last three games, I see creative decisions and a willingness to try new player combinations. That, too, is progress.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say board posters are "hating on you". Do you mean others disagree with you? If that is what you mean, why not say that? I don't hate you for posting ideas with which I disagree. I support your expressing your opinions. It makes for good debate even if your thinking is incomplete, your prose filled with jargon and your overall message garbled.
    Last season, we brilliantly managed an average of 13.9 TO’s per game. YTD through 3 games, we’re tracking at 9.7. Last year was a shit show with TO’s, cardiac stress every time the ball went up behind the arc, the Gooden/Naji effect, frequent poor play to end a half or begin the second half.

Nothing like any of that this season, save for the poor shooting performance against Bradley (couldn’t watch the Toledo game).

Team chemistry and heart appear to be rock solid with this bunch. That’s culture - that’s Steele.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Who gives a sh*#.
    Oh man, the head coach has to have every player, even the cog, give 100% on the defensive end. I agree with the coach the player should sit if he isn't engaged defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    That’s culture - that’s Steele.
    Guess I missed this last year.
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    Guess I missed this last year.
    Don’t worry about it. - you miss a lot of things.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    *insert Miller and Mack, the two best coaches in Xavier history.
    I will take Miller or Matta.

Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    Oh man, the head coach has to have every player, even the cog, give 100% on the defensive end. I agree with the coach the player should sit if he isn't engaged defensively.
    Bluiett didn't defend well and he played 35 minutes a game. In a perfect world, yeah maximum effort is always expected. The reality is that we need to get KyKy to a point where he's a decent defender and plays more consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    How was his defense against Toledo? You want to know the answer? Who gives a sh*#. We need his scoring and offense. That's the point.
    It appears that the HC gives a sh*#, and since he is the one that decides who plays and who doesn’t, I’m guessing that KyKy understands that now.

I’d bet you could ask any HOF coach you care to talk with and they would also give a sh*#. Offense and defense don’t have to be either-or. It is quite possible to be good on both ends of the court. The great players, and the great teams, excel in all areas of the game. As Steele pointed out in his remarks, often time playing good defense is more a matter of “want to”, than anything else. KyKy’s problem in the Bradley game was that he didn’t seem to have the desire to play defense, so Steele sat him down. Good for him. People have complained for the last year that Steele wouldn’t discipline certain players on last years team. That he let them do what they wanted. Now he sits a player that isn’t playing hard enough to suit him, and people want to criticize him for that? Wow, just wow.