Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    If we had Mack on the sidelines coaching the same roster, we maybe have two more wins (San Diego State and perhaps SH...but Willard outcoached Mack in Cintas more than once, too). The Xs and Os may not be perfect, but this team's issue is the Jimmys and Joes.
    Both Jimmy AND Joe struggle from behind the arc. The only real shooter we have is Welage, and he looks like he’s doing it wrong!

As has been pointed out to me, Mack is the reason we have to be so reliant on three grad transfers. That came to be under his watch.

Yes, we might have a slightly better record if Mack was still on the bench....but he’s gone.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Both Jimmy AND Joe struggle from behind the arc. The only real shooter we have is Welage, and he looks like he’s doing it wrong!

As has been pointed out to me, Mack is the reason we have to be so reliant on three grad transfers. That came to be under his watch.

Yes, we might have a slightly better record if Mack was still on the bench....but he’s gone.
    Yea, roster construction under mack was lacking on his way out even past this year's freshman class. There were serious problems what with ridder and jones not joining the team, the problems with walter, kaiser being the only player in his class, and losing ekiyor. Man it would be nice to have eddie ekiyor although that's on him not us, still stinks

Junior
    My current fear us that Steele can't control these guys. I believe he's smart enough, but Q and Naji refuse to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    My current fear us that Steele can't control these guys. I believe he's smart enough, but Q and Naji refuse to listen.
    I can’t help but wonder if there’s not something to that.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMoeMusketeer View Post
    I don't mean to be confrontational, but I hate this narrative. Do you, for one minute, think our record would be the same if Chris was coaching this exact roster? Do you think Naji / Q / Paul would run off 5 straight no-pass possessions in crunch time while Chris was aimlessly calling offensive sets that were being ignored? The answers are No and No.

The comments on this board and twitter that have existed for nearly 8 months that allude to, insinuate, or suggest that we now have a better coach are laughably absurd. Maybe one day Travis will be a solid Big East caliber coach, but Sean and Chris are elite coaches, and Travis has a long way to go to even see them from where he is standing. The first year in the big chair is hard, everyone understands that, and going from being their buddy / ass't to the head guy is not an easy transition. It isn't popular, but this year was the first year in a LONG time where UC had the better coach on the bench than Xavier...and while that stings, it is the reality for the near future.

I have no doubt that Travis will learn, develop, grow, and improve in his role. No one should be upset or surprised that he has taken some lumps this year, and without question or debate, Willard dominated the last 12 minutes of that game from a coaching standpoint. However, we have to also believe that Travis will be better in the long run for having gone through this transition year in 2018-19.

I'm genuinely excited about 2019-20, hopefully everything holds together, everyone stays healthy, and I believe we will have a very solid coach leading this team by that point. This year is just going to be rocky, it is what it is.
    I get your point on coaching abilities. However, I think what ‘XU82’ original point was referring to the lack of depth Mack left us vs coaching ability. In particular leaving us with only one good 3 point shooter (Scruggs didn’t prove this until he worked his ass off last summer) on this year’s team.

IMO, Mack was a great coach for this program during his tenure. With that said and at this point, I really don’t care to think about what he could’ve done with this team.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    I can’t help but wonder if there’s not something to that.
    Miller and Mack struggled with this early on too. Especially Mack. Again moving from buddy assistant to disciplinarian head coach coach is probably more than a one year adjustment.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17