Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    Not bad. We got the 31st and 48th best grad transfers. Very exciting!
    That’s by design. Should be encouraging that your coaches are not looking for starters to save the program. They wanted depth help with the transfers and they feel comfortable with what they have coming back and coming in, with the freshman class, to fill the 5 starting spots. Most of the higher rated transfers wanted starter minutes and other than maybe Turner, Xavier isn’t offering it. The last thing you want to do, if you have guys in your program and coming into your program, that you believe in, is to cut their opportunities and piss them off. Travis wants to have his team, guys he brought in. Travis is very organized and comfortable with who he is bringing into the program to play for him. It’s part of his plan. If you want to jump ship before he puts his team on the floor, knock yourself out. He knows a heck of a lot more of what he is doing than any of us. Maybe you should go root for a program like Louisville, who was desperate to find two starters through the grad transfer route because they are not comfortable with the players they have brought in last year and what they have coming in.
    Last edited by xavierj; 04-08-2020 at 12:02 PM.

The Xavier team that got knocked out of the Big East tournament by Depaul was going to make the NCAA tournament? Highly unlikely. I also don’t get the whole Miles is going to be a superstar. He was hardly recruited by anyone coming out of high school and wasn’t ranked very high. I hope he turns into something great but he is a big time project in my book.
    "There's no way we can judge Miles and Ramsey either way at this point." That's what I said. Not sure how you got Miles is going to be a superstar from that. The 2019 class has already produced two guys who are virtual locks to be 3 year starters providing significant contributions. How can you be down on that class? How often does that happen for any school? If Steele recruits two guys as promising as Tandy and Freemantle every year, Xavier is going to be scary good (I think this is unlikely).

Xavier's 2019 class was ranked 27th in the country (right behind Michigan State) and the 2020 class to this point is ranked 18th (right behind Kansas). Where do you think Xavier should realistically be in recruiting rankings? This isn't Duke or Kentucky, or even Nova.
    Last edited by AviatorX; 04-08-2020 at 12:16 PM.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    That’s by design. Should be encouraging that your coaches are not looking for starters to save the program. They wanted depth help with the transfers and they feel comfortable with what they have coming back and coming in, with the freshman class, to fill the 5 starting spots. Most of the higher rated transfers wanted starter minutes and other than maybe Turner, Xavier isn’t offering it. The last thing you want to do, if you have guys in your program and coming into your program, that you believe in, is to cut their opportunities and piss them off. Travis wants to have his team, guys he brought in. Travis is very organized and comfortable with who he is bringing into the program to play for him. It’s part of his plan. If you want to jump ship before he puts his team on the floor, knock yourself out. He knows a heck of a lot more of what he is doing than any of us. Maybe you should go root for a program like Louisville, who was desperate to find two starters through the grad transfer route because they are not comfortable with the players they have brought in last year and what they have coming in.
    The attacks on me are not necessary. I am not happy with the state of the program and I voiced my opinion. A four star kid who lives just down the road from campus selected an out of state program non blue blood program. Sorry, that stings as Xavier should not be missing out on city kids. We are not UC. Gotta keep the local kids home. Xavier has not been very stable the past few years. A lot of players leaving and a lot of grad transfers coming in. Not healthy to have that much turnover year after year. Like I said, I will give him another season but for me it is NCAA tournament or bust. He has been here long enough to put his stamp on the program.

The attacks on me are not necessary. I am not happy with the state of the program and I voiced my opinion. A four star kid who lives just down the road from campus selected an out of state program non blue blood program. Sorry, that stings as Xavier should not be missing out on city kids. We are not UC. Gotta keep the local kids home.
    Are you really arguing that X should get every local kid it recruits unless the recruit goes to UK, Duke, or Kansas?

The attacks on me are not necessary. I am not happy with the state of the program and I voiced my opinion. A four star kid who lives just down the road from campus selected an out of state program non blue blood program. Sorry, that stings as Xavier should not be missing out on city kids. We are not UC. Gotta keep the local kids home. Xavier has not been very stable the past few years. A lot of players leaving and a lot of grad transfers coming in. Not healthy to have that much turnover year after year. Like I said, I will give him another season but for me it is NCAA tournament or bust. He has been here long enough to put his stamp on the program.
    When has keeping Cincinnati kids home EVER been a major ingredient of the success of Xavier basketball? Cincinnati is not a great high school basketball talent pool (from a high major recruiting standpoint).

Not sure if you are familiar with Indiana University basketball, but it's a pretty big program that recruits at a higher level than Xavier. Bob Knight, 5 National Championships, multiple recent first round picks, 17,000 seat arena, whole big thing. IU has signed more McDonald's All Americans in each of their past two classes (both following seasons without NCAA Tournament appearances) than Xavier has in program history. It's not like Duncomb is going to Arizona State or something.

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post

IU has signed more McDonald's All Americans in each of their past two classes (both following seasons without NCAA Tournament appearances) than Xavier has in program history.
    All IU would need to do is sign one McD's All American to have more than X, or two if we count Drew Lavender as "signing" with X.

I don’t think I attacked you. Just was pointing out that Xavier isn’t desperate for finding starters through the transfer market like other programs. They lost two players who were not going to play for Travis, guys were recruited by Mack, after his last class totally fell apart. I think Bishop could have helped eventually and I think the coaches wanted him to stay, but he wasn’t ready yet and by all accounts, wanted to get back home. I don’t blame him for that.

As for the kid from Moeller, he sees a better chance to play right away at Indiana than he saw at Xavier. When he gets to Indiana, he will be the only 5 man on the roster. Xavier will have two guys in that same spot. I also think Travis had a five year plan to get Xavier to the next level, not a two year plan, so you may be disappointed. Things had to change from where they were prior to Chris leaving and I think they are in motion. I know it’s weird to say that after having a number one seed, but in my opinion, if you dig deeper, you can see this program could be better and more consistent. Sometimes you have to tear it down and start over. Which I think we saw that over the last two years. Now time to take it to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    All IU would need to do is sign one McD's All American to have more than X, or two if we count Drew Lavender as "signing" with X.
    Exactly. I was going for the they signed one in each class angle. Just seems like expectations around here can be insane sometimes...

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    When has keeping Cincinnati kids home EVER been a major ingredient of the success of Xavier basketball? Cincinnati is not a great high school basketball talent pool (from a high major recruiting standpoint).

Not sure if you are familiar with Indiana University basketball, but it's a pretty big program that recruits at a higher level than Xavier. Bob Knight, 5 National Championships, multiple recent first round picks, 17,000 seat arena, whole big thing. IU has signed more McDonald's All Americans in each of their past two classes (both following seasons without NCAA Tournament appearances) than Xavier has in program history.
    So with that logic, you are saying UCLA is a big time program under Mick Cronin? Seriously? Cincinnati should be a big time program too with all the success Bob Huggins had. Luckily that logic doesn’t hold true. Indiana hasn’t been the same since Bob Knight left. A couple decent years but nothing big. People on here were begging to go to the Big East because it would help us with recruiting and grow the Xavier brand. Sadly, it seems like some have the same A-10 ambitions from over a decade ago. Xavier with the right coaching staff should be able to recruit with the best of them. Maybe I view Xavier differently but I think this program is elite and should consider itself elite.

While I appreciate your fandom, X needs to win a national championship or two, or at least get to a final four, before the program is considered elite by the rest of the country.
    Last edited by XU 87; 04-08-2020 at 12:56 PM.