Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Time for Mel Moore to go.

I’ve met Mel Moore. I’ve had lunch with Mel Moore. I Like Mel Moore.
    But something is wrong. This is now Year 4 of her tenure and there is no progress. These are her players. This is her scheme and Xavier remains at the Bottom of the Big East. It is not working.
    As with Travis Steele. It is a huge jump from being a quality assistant to a Program Chief Executive. Some like Sean Miller can do it, some can’t.
    Xavier will lose to VILLANOVA by 40 today. The time has come for a change. Xavier was within a missed layup of going to the Women’s Final 4 under Kevin McGuff and the facilities and support are even better now. Now that Men’s Basketball is on solid ground, it’s time to fix Women’s Basketball.
    Good luck Melanie. Hope you land well.
    Last edited by Masterofreality; 04-03-2023 at 05:01 PM.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

So dramatic...it was only 28. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    So dramatic...it was only 28. Ouch.
    Huge 4th quarter comeback!!’

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    I'm starting to wonder what issues are going on with the program as a whole. Amy Waugh, Brian Neal and Mel Moore have collectively been a disaster since Kevin McGuff left. It's the only sport that hasn't been remotely competitive since Xavier joined the Big East. The only reason Brian Neal even got an extra year was because Chris Mack left and the AD didn't want to do 2 major hires at once.

Good league, great facilities, good school. Too many reasons why this program should be in a much, much different place. Time for a change.

I would say yes to change but not for the sake of change. Do something meaningful. Hire an assistant coach from one of the top programs or something along those lines. Don't just hire and pray.
    Balls of Steele!!

Freshman
    I watched the Villanova game on TV and the announcers kept talking about Mel Moore getting her own players and system installed, changing the culture, etc., and they were acting as if she is still a brand new coach. Yes, COVID made things difficult, but every other program in America also had to deal with COVID. It should not take five years to get out of the very bottom of the Big East. Providence, Georgetown and Butler are also consistently bad and we can't even beat those teams on a regular basis. Mel also talked a lot last year about her team being young and inexperienced. Well, you're going to be young and inexperienced when you lose four to eight players to transfers on an annual basis and at some point that blame falls on the coaching staff for not being able to retain talent.

I have no inside knowledge but agree it seems like something is off with the program beyond the coaching staff. Yes, the facilities are great, but I am not convinced the program is getting adequate resources otherwise. Look at the schedule -- this year the only nonconference games away from Cintas were at Miami (Ohio) and SIU-Edwardsville. Can you imagine the men's team ever scheduling a nonconference game at a MAC or OVC opponent? (Yes, I remember the men's team had a long home-and-home with Miami, but that was pre-Big East.) No preseason tournament, no holiday trip, nothing. Would you be excited to come to Xavier to play that type of schedule as a recruit? What does that sort of scheduling say about the aspirations of the program?

I understand the men's team is going to be prioritized by the athletic department, but there are enough programs in the country investing in women's basketball that you really can't get by on the cheap anymore. Also, I'm sorry, if Brian Neal really was kept on an additional year just because Greg Christopher didn't want to conduct two coaching searches at once, then what does that say about how this program is viewed and prioritized internally (not to mention, how does it make the AD look if he can't walk and chew gum at the same time)? Marquette managed to hire Megan Duffy and Shaka Smart in the same offseason and it didn't kill the AD. I would be curious to know what the recruiting budget is and how it stacks up compared to other programs. I don't really have any reason to believe it's much beyond the bare minimum.

Oh, and don't look now, but UConn is next on the schedule.
    Last edited by HomerCecil; 01-02-2023 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MADXSTER View Post
    I would say yes to change but not for the sake of change. Do something meaningful. Hire an assistant coach from one of the top programs or something along those lines. Don't just hire and pray.
    Word is that an ACC assistant is on the radar.
    I have a question. Why not Special Jennings? She currently runs the Monteverde Academy women’s program and is very visible.
    She was also a great Xavier player. Bring HER back!

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Word is that an ACC assistant is on the radar.
    If it's not from Louisville or Notre Dame, don't bother. I knew nothing about Moore when she was hired, but my complaint was that it seemed pretty uncreative to hire an assistant from a middling program like Michigan. At least go take someone from a TOP program.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    If it's not from Louisville or Notre Dame, don't bother. I knew nothing about Moore when she was hired, but my complaint was that it seemed pretty uncreative to hire an assistant from a middling program like Michigan. At least go take someone from a TOP program.
    You are closer than you think….