Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    I thought we were looking for shooters on the wing. Another guy who didn't get recruited to high majors out of high school.
    The more pure shooters the better but this guy can flat out score, which is a hallelujah! I mean, scoring 40 points in any D1 game is pretty rare.

Unlike Kunkel, he comes in BEast ready from a physicality stand point and looks like he will have no problem competing athletically. I'm thinking he will be on par with Mahoney/Nze.....very physical low major transfers that do very well in our conference. Can't see any way this guy is another bust.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    7 guys on the roster are freshmen and sophomores, 1 senior...so 8 non transfers. Steele has done a fantastic job rebuilding this roster after mack left. Yeah the 21 recruiting class is light at this point, but get one more solid pickup and then work on 22. The transfers have helped balance out the classes after the trainwreck that was the 18 recruiting class and frankly the 17 class. Mack produced 2 players in two years worth of recruiting classes, 3 players worth a crap by the end of their tenure if you want to include the 16 class. If you want to blame someone, blame that douchebag.
    This^

The transfers are not replacements for the 2021 class. The 2021 class is not done and they still have 3 scholarships they can use for that class. These transfers are replacements for the misses made in years past and not the year to come.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    7 guys on the roster are freshmen and sophomores, 1 senior...so 8 non transfers. Steele has done a fantastic job rebuilding this roster after mack left. Yeah the 21 recruiting class is light at this point, but get one more solid pickup and then work on 22. The transfers have helped balance out the classes after the trainwreck that was the 18 recruiting class and frankly the 17 class. Mack produced 2 players in two years worth of recruiting classes, 3 players worth a crap by the end of their tenure if you want to include the 16 class. If you want to blame someone, blame that douchebag.
    I really like the transfer pickups Steele has gotten during the summer. All of them put up impressive stats at their previous school. My only concern is developing chemistry with so many new faces. COVID 19 will make it that much harder to get everyone on the same page. I trust Steele but this is a big year for him and the programs development. I can’t wait to see how this team develops over the season. How many days until the first game?

Feeling a little better with the last two pickups........but yes, more than a trend with Steele AND I think it brings more complexity around playing time (commitments) and chemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    The transfers are not replacements for the 2021 class. The 2021 class is not done and they still have 3 scholarships they can use for that class. These transfers are replacements for the misses made in years past and not the year to come.
    Look at it from the angle of how many scholarship Seniors we will have after this season (IF we play).

2021-22
    Ben Stanley

2022-23
    Tandy
    Fremantle
    Kunkel

2023-24
    Odom
    Wilcher
    Jones
    Miles
    Ramsey

2024-25
    Edwards

So, the 2018 class (or lack thereof) continues to be a major weakness. Challenge 1- Coach will be forced to obtain quality senior leadership for 2021-22 thru the Transfer Portal, so that really puts an emphasis on not whiffing then.

Challenge 2- Landing the right HS prospects in addition to Edwards. More top 100 guys would be great, but not totally necessary. As long as he can get players that come with the physical/athletic tools needed for this league. Hopefully Steele can excel in developing talent but that is a solid question mark at this point.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 08-01-2020 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Feeling a little better with the last two pickups........but yes, more than a trend with Steele AND I think it brings more complexity around playing time (commitments) and chemistry.
    Yeah, that is an excellent point. If Stanley brings his A game, he will command significant PT. Additionally, if Kunkel shows his "All OVC" talent in practice, it certainly could effect confidence in Jones and/or Wilcher. ESPECIALLY WILCHER. From watching a lot of tape on him, I don't think he will be very patient waiting for game action.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 08-01-2020 at 07:51 AM.

https://www.zagsblog.com/2020/07/31/...announce-soon/

AS of yesterday, X still in the mix for Jordan Hawkins along with a slew of BEast schools AND UofL. With Jonas Hayes as point man in his recruitment, anything is possible.

Announcement soon.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    https://www.zagsblog.com/2020/07/31/...announce-soon/

AS of yesterday, X still in the mix for Jordan Hawkins along with a slew of BEast schools AND UofL. With Jonas Hayes as point man in his recruitment, anything is possible.

Announcement soon.
    Gabe Dorsey announcement is tomorrow. I like our chances based on the teams left on his list. I think it is down to us and Vandy

Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    Gabe Dorsey announcement is tomorrow. I like our chances based on the teams left on his list. I think it is down to us and Vandy
    I would bet on Vandy. Looks like he is one smart dude, plus would have more of an opportunity to play early, so Vandy would appear to be the pick.

Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    His brother is already a Penn St Nittany Lion, so depending on how that weighs he very well could join him. Going to Candy nearly assures he won't dance, so X has that as an edge.