Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    He dropped 20 on Illinois last year....how many HS recruits can say that?
    I'm sure there's been quite a few, since all of the competition UofI plays were in HS at one point.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Please elaborate. Striking out on key targets across the board or something else?
    All I'm going by is what the recruiting services tell me and it looks like we missed on a few guys that we had been recruiting for a while, the rest that are highly interested in x are guys that are top 50ish which probably arent coming or guys in the 125-150ish range and my inclination is that Steele thought kunkel and stanley were better options. Again, all of this is just what the recruiting services tell me, but judging what has happened, what is left, and the actions of Steele nailing down these two guys, I think what I said before seems accurate.

I had been worried about this 21 recruiting class for months, it was starting to look similar to what 18 did sans Edwards coming into the mix, so I love what Steele did here to fill in the gaps.

These transfers are certainly a better move than giving scholarships to walk-on players for a season. At least they will have some skills helping them provide tougher competition during practice, which is important. It's hard to play the full allotment of scholarship players normally, so these two don't hurt to have.

Still, it would still be nice to see some consistency within the standard recruiting routes.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    All I'm going by is what the recruiting services tell me and it looks like we missed on a few guys that we had been recruiting for a while, the rest that are highly interested in x are guys that are top 50ish which probably arent coming or guys in the 125-150ish range and my inclination is that Steele thought kunkel and stanley were better options. Again, all of this is just what the recruiting services tell me, but judging what has happened, what is left, and the actions of Steele nailing down these two guys, I think what I said before seems accurate.

I had been worried about this 21 recruiting class for months, it was starting to look similar to what 18 did sans Edwards coming into the mix, so I love what Steele did here to fill in the gaps.
    This was a good move. Xavier will still land another 4 star wing soon and adding Stanley balances out the classes since we don’t have anyone that will be a junior next year since we struck out in 2018. Two 4 star players will be much better than what was produced in 2018 for 2021 and by all accounts Edwards has an extremely high ceiling. If not for not having AAU this year I am not sure Xavier would have landed him. He probably would have blown up.

One way to look at the addition of these two transfers is to look at who they are replacing in their class. Who, if they would have stayed would be entering their junior years? The answer is Keonte Kennedy and Dontarius James. I would consider both new players an upgrade over those two players, and both still have 2 years left to play.

Another thing to look at is that X will have 4 seniors on the squad next year...Scruggs, Carter, Johnson and Griffin.....which means they still have 3 open scholarships to offer for 2021.

There is AAU ball here in the South, almost every weekend.

But I've looked everywhere, and can't find any box scores on the tournament here in Sptn. last weekend.
    Don't think Edwards did all that good, but might be wrong. Don't see his name mentioned in all the twitter nonsense.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    One way to look at the addition of these two transfers is to look at who they are replacing in their class. Who, if they would have stayed would be entering their junior years? The answer is Keonte Kennedy and Dontarius James. I would consider both new players an upgrade over those two players, and both still have 2 years left to play.

Another thing to look at is that X will have 4 seniors on the squad next year...Scruggs, Carter, Johnson and Griffin.....which means they still have 3 open scholarships to offer for 2021.
    Never thought I would see the day where almost half of Xaviers roster are transfers. You typically see this when a program has a brand new head coach but not when the coach has been there for several years. We missed out on a bunch of priority recruits in the 2021 class and with no AAU ball to recruit, I think Steele decided to go the transfers route instead. I am intrigued to see what each transfer is able to do at Xavier. They all made a big impact at their previous schools but can it translate to the Big East?

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    This was a good move. Xavier will still land another 4 star wing soon and adding Stanley balances out the classes since we don’t have anyone that will be a junior next year since we struck out in 2018. Two 4 star players will be much better than what was produced in 2018 for 2021 and by all accounts Edwards has an extremely high ceiling. If not for not having AAU this year I am not sure Xavier would have landed him. He probably would have blown up.
    Would you like to share who this might be? I haven’t heard any names that we are after looking to commit soon.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    Never thought I would see the day where almost half of Xaviers roster are transfers. You typically see this when a program has a brand new head coach but not when the coach has been there for several years. We missed out on a bunch of priority recruits in the 2021 class and with no AAU ball to recruit, I think Steele decided to go the transfers route instead. I am intrigued to see what each transfer is able to do at Xavier. They all made a big impact at their previous schools but can it translate to the Big East?
    7 guys on the roster are freshmen and sophomores, 1 senior...so 8 non transfers. Steele has done a fantastic job rebuilding this roster after mack left. Yeah the 21 recruiting class is light at this point, but get one more solid pickup and then work on 22. The transfers have helped balance out the classes after the trainwreck that was the 18 recruiting class and frankly the 17 class. Mack produced 2 players in two years worth of recruiting classes, 3 players worth a crap by the end of their tenure if you want to include the 16 class. If you want to blame someone, blame that douchebag.

WOW! Have we ever had a incoming D1 transfer that averaged 22 ppg?
    Last edited by Xuperman; 07-30-2020 at 02:38 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club