Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    The more that get it now will make it easier to play. All these kids are getting it one way or the other and it’s not just going to go away. Some kids on my sons team have had it and they were fine and back practicing after quarantining. The problem is the slow release will make it impossible to have a season in the fall in my opinion. Athletes will just keep getting it one by one instead of at one time. So 5 kids will get it right before a game and it won’t happen. I guess the good news is everyone will have had it by next year so maybe we can have college sports then.
    I think we will have college sports again by the spring. I'm hoping we can have them again before the end of the year. I think most fall sports will be cancelled, and the schools that don't cancel fall sports will not be able to complete a season. It isn't just the players, it's the coaching staff, support staff, and maybe the most important piece that no one has talked about is the athletic trainers. They are every bit as much on the front lines as nurses and doctors, but oftentimes not equipped with the resources. If we try and play fall sports, you will see games cancelled simply because a school will not have enough athletic trainers to work the games.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Just running a game costs a school resources for the number of officials (refs, time keepers, etc.) Many of the people in those roles are people who fall into the immune compromised groups. And if they are trying to stay relevant without a crowd at the game, that means lots of media folks, who are usually free lancers coming and going off campus.

It's a sizable group of people the school can't always control the risk from, or how it might impact the program if someone is exposed at the event.

I have known some people who got the virus. Although they are technically considered recovered, the husband in the family is still struggling daily and will likely not be the same again. His high school and college age kids are having issues too, although much less severe.

Everyone may get it eventually, but I think it's smarter to avoid the students getting it as long as possible.
    Last edited by sirthought; 07-27-2020 at 03:53 PM.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    Just running a game costs a school resources for the number of officials (refs, time keepers, etc.) Many of the people in those roles are people who fall into the immune compromised groups. And if they are trying to stay relevant without a crowd at the game, that means lots of media folks, who are usually free lancers coming and going off campus.

It's a sizable group of people the school can't always control the risk from, or how it might impact the program if someone is exposed at the event.

I have know some people who got the virus. Although they are technically considered recovered, the husband in the family is still struggling daily and will likely not be the same again. His high school and college age kids are having issues too, although much less severe.

Everyone may get it eventually, but I think it's smarter to avoid the students getting it as long as possible.
    College Sports will start back up when Donald Trump says so. In all seriousness, I would say they will start back up when a vaccine is available to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I think we will have college sports again by the spring. I'm hoping we can have them again before the end of the year. I think most fall sports will be cancelled, and the schools that don't cancel fall sports will not be able to complete a season. It isn't just the players, it's the coaching staff, support staff, and maybe the most important piece that no one has talked about is the athletic trainers. They are every bit as much on the front lines as nurses and doctors, but oftentimes not equipped with the resources. If we try and play fall sports, you will see games cancelled simply because a school will not have enough athletic trainers to work the games.
    I'm afraid you are right. We have been playing baseball for what, a week or two? The Marlins already have like 19 confirmed cases and have to cancel games. I just don't see any way we get through fall sports, if they even start.

This is going to be the shittiest winter ever.
    Eat Donuts!

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    Echo that :(

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    I'm afraid you are right. We have been playing baseball for what, a week or two? The Marlins already have like 19 confirmed cases and have to cancel games. I just don't see any way we get through fall sports, if they even start.

It will be the shittiest fall ever. If we get our shit together, we may be able to have a good winter.

Oh wait, what the hell am I thinking? Us getting our shit together?? Yeah, right.

It will be the shittiest winter ever.

Seriously, the most compelling sports I have found during all of this are......marbles. I think I have lost mine....

https://jellesmarbleruns.fandom.com/...le_League_2020
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Looks like FBS is full steam ahead with the season to start in a month. I'll believe it when I see it, but they sure are acting like it's going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Looks like FBS is full steam ahead with the season to start in a month. I'll believe it when I see it, but they sure are acting like it's going to happen.
    I think the power 5 conferences will play some kind of season or at least try to play it with or without any fans. My guess is most governors will either eliminate fans or limit them to 20% or less capacity. ACC, SEC and Big 12 will either do all conference games or conference plus 1 and they will not play games against the non power 5 or group of 5 conferences, whatever they are called. The non power 5 will basically lose money just by playing and will try to sue to get the payday they signed up for in their contracts with the power 5 schools, which will take a while to settle. So other than the Power 5, I don't see any other conferences playing in the fall. They will either move to spring or not play at all until the fall of 2021. Those that play better be prepared to use all 105 or whatever players are on their rosters, because I am sure they will have cases each week that come back positive, where they won't allow those players who test positive, as well as their roommates to suit up. Should be interesting. Or they already have so many guys that have had it that they will no longer have that many guys test positive when the season starts and it will not be that big of an issue.

I think all sports but FBS football will end up being cancelled before they begin, and that FBS football will end up being cancelled very shortly after it begins.

Next week, I'll probably think something else.