Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Sophomore
    I tend to agree. I kind of cringe seeing Xavier showing interest to nearly all of the current players in the transfer portal. 5th year seniors from low major conferences with below average stats are not going to help Xavier contend in the Big East. I really don’t see him being much more than a squad player if he can’t show decent numbers in a crap conference. Are we still rebuilding and these transfer are warm bodies to get through next year. If so, when do we start judging when Steele is meeting expectations at X? Another year of not being in the NCAA tournament will not fly with me as a fan.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    I tend to agree. I kind of cringe seeing Xavier showing interest to nearly all of the current players in the transfer portal.
    Agreed. I've noticed this as well. It seems like we're going after anything.

What exactly is our recruiting profile, because it seems random.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    What am I missing? Is this to replace james at practice? Guy has crap stats at a lower level conference
    Not sure what the interest might be and have no clue about the guy. He did have offers from Ohio State and Butler and visited both as well as offers from LSU, Illinois and Iowa State so he must have shown something at some point. Kevin Marfo averaged 2 points a game at George Washington and his first year at Quinnipiac averaged 5 and 7 and now has an offer from Louisville.
    Last edited by xavierj; 03-24-2020 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    Agreed. I've noticed this as well. It seems like we're going after anything.

What exactly is our recruiting profile, because it seems random.
    I guess Steele’s approach this time around is to just cast a really wide net in order to catch as many fish as possible.

Then he can keep the biggest ones and toss the rest back in the water for UC and Dayton and Georgetown to fight over.

Right now most coaches are relying on tape and prior relationships with players....and not statistics....to determine who they are going to recruit. I suspect that one of the Xavier coaches was probably involved in recruiting him back in 2017 when he was coming out of HS and believes that he has talent and potential.

As far as casting a wide net.....according to Verbal Commits, Xavier has actually only offered 4 transfers, and Morris is the only “big”, the other 3 are all guards. There is a big difference between showing interest and actually offering a scholarship contract.

I will also point out that Steele really doesn’t have much choice about the need to recruit some transfers. The recruiting classes that the prior administration left him are anything but stellar. In fact it’s most likely that next years squad will only have 1 senior and no juniors that were actually recruits out of HS. So not only will next years team be lacking upperclassman with 3-4 years in the program, so will the next years squad. He has to try and bring some players in that can offer some leadership and experience at the college level. I hardly think that Steele can be blamed for the lack of TALENTED upperclassman with experience in the Xavier program and in the Big East.
    Last edited by XUGRAD80; 03-25-2020 at 07:01 AM.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Right now most coaches are relying on tape and prior relationships with players....and not statistics....to determine who they are going to recruit. I suspect that one of the Xavier coaches was probably involved in recruiting him back in 2017 when he was coming out of HS and believes that he has talent and potential.

As far as casting a wide net.....according to Verbal Commits, Xavier has actually only offered 4 transfers, and Morris is the only “big”, the other 3 are all guards. There is a big difference between showing interest and actually offering a scholarship contract.

I will also point out that Steele really doesn’t have much choice about the need to recruit some transfers. The recruiting classes that the prior administration left him are anything but stellar. In fact it’s most likely that next years squad will only have 1 senior and no juniors that were actually recruits out of HS. So not only will next years team be lacking upperclassman with 3-4 years in the program, so will the next years squad. He has to try and bring some players in that can offer some leadership and experience at the college level. I hardly think that Steele can be blamed for the lack of TALENTED upperclassman with experience in the Xavier program and in the Big East.
    I agree with most of this and certainly agree that it isnt really steeles fault the roster is where it is at in terms of upper classmen. I just dont understand offering players with that kind of production against lower level competition other than being able to have a full practice. Honestly I'd rather run with the talented young guys and take the lumps rather than integrating them with low talent upper classmen who may even be detrimental to the young guys growth; teaching them bad habits etc. Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Ba...ransferPortal/

Here's an updated list and getting larger with each passing day!

I find this "Portal" thing fascinating....Samari Curtis ends up in Evansville (GTFO), Harden transferring again?, Taurean Thompson doing the same leaving SHU and UConn loses it's PG.

Stay tuned.
    With no live sports going on, this helps fill the gap just a little bit! Interesting that Thompson is leaving the Hall after him being the guy that led to their modest sanctions from the gangsters at the NCAA.
    Veritas vos Liberabit

Quote Originally Posted by murray87 View Post
    With no live sports going on, this helps fill the gap just a little bit! Interesting that Thompson is leaving the Hall after him being the guy that led to their modest sanctions from the gangsters at the NCAA.
    Between this and the NFL free agency... it's helped.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Xville...look at the roster

Scruggs
    Carter
    Freemantle
    Tandy
    Ramsey....sophomore with no playing time
    Miles.....red shirt
    Hansen....walk-on
    Odom....freshman
    Welcher....freshman
    Jones...freshman

3 are freshman, 2 are sophomores with no game experience, 1 is a walk-on. Only 4 players with any real playing experience. 10 total. That’s hardly even enough to have a good practice, especially if anyone gets hurt or sick. Really really thin in the front court too. They are going to take their lumps no matter what, but I don’t see any reason not to use at least 2 of the 3/4 open scholarships. If nothing else it gives them more depth. Most would be freshman are already signed for elsewhere, especially quality ones that X could get. But there are plenty of potentially good quality transfers out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I agree with most of this and certainly agree that it isnt really steeles fault the roster is where it is at in terms of upper classmen. I just dont understand offering players with that kind of production against lower level competition other than being able to have a full practice. Honestly I'd rather run with the talented young guys and take the lumps rather than integrating them with low talent upper classmen who may even be detrimental to the young guys growth; teaching them bad habits etc. Just my opinion
    Udeze hurt his shoulder and had to have surgery as a freshman. I have no idea what talent he has as I have never seen him play but for so many high majors to offer him out of high school and now Xavier, Butler, Seton Hall, Minnesota, Arizona state and South Carolina all interested in him, there must be something there with his talent level and athleticism. I will defer to college coaches on this one.