Page 47 of 55 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast
    Junior
    Ok, fine. Let's just let the blue bloods pay the whole roster $100k each, each year.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Ok, fine. Let's just let the blue bloods pay the whole roster $100k each, each year.
    pretty much what its coming down to........

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post

I don’t think those players will take a pay cut like that....:(

Seriously though, I have questions for the collective....

How many people here would be OK with Xavier paying its players under the table if it meant a F4 or a NC?
    How many people here would stop supporting the school/program if they got caught doing it and the coaches (and anyone else responsible) were not fired on the spot?

Because it is the attitude that everyone else is doing it and that makes it’s OK, or the attitude that says I don’t care if we cheat as long as we win big, that is fueling this whole thing. When winning becomes more important than anything else...like principals...it can only lead to one thing. A win at all costs attitude. When you have that attitude, you will cheat.

Junior
    I would rather win honestly. If Butler can go to 2 final fours, it's not impossible. And imagine if they had won. They may have ended up like Villanova, before Villanova.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    I don’t think those players will take a pay cut like that....:(

Seriously though, I have questions for the collective....

How many people here would be OK with Xavier paying its players under the table if it meant a F4 or a NC?
    How many people here would stop supporting the school/program if they got caught doing it and the coaches (and anyone else responsible) were not fired on the spot?

Because it is the attitude that everyone else is doing it and that makes it’s OK, or the attitude that says I don’t care if we cheat as long as we win big, that is fueling this whole thing. When winning becomes more important than anything else...like principals...it can only lead to one thing. A win at all costs attitude. When you have that attitude, you will cheat.
    Eh, I wouldn't be okay with it. There's programs out there that don't pay players, by all means it's definitely harder to win when you aren't cheating, but the satisfaction of being successful without having to go to that level is a lot for me. I think by all means Xavier does things the right way, we have a solid program, and I want guys who want to be here and raise the profile of Xavier due to their own wants, not because of financial compensation. May be a naive way to look at it, but it is much more satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    No way I would support cheating for a F4!!! We’ve climbed this huge ladder and not a time to start!

If it happens, get rid of coach and AD then I’ll think about staying a fan!

Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    No way I would support cheating for a F4!!! We’ve climbed this huge ladder and not a time to start!

If it happens, get rid of coach and AD then I’ll think about staying a fan!
    Amen. I don’t need it that bad. But I WOULD like a level playing field.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    You think its just the tourney that generates income?
    Do you mean for the schools or for the NCAA itself??

The tourney basically is the only thing the NCAA makes any money off of. ACC TV rights and attendance at Ohio State football games don't do anything for the NCAA League Office's finances. The NCAA makes $1.1 billion per year off the tournament regardless of who is in it, and what's left over after all of the units are paid out is basically all of the money they have.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

I think the biggest problem the NCAA has now is something that most people are missing. Since the OBannon case, they have essentially lost every court case when it comes to players rights and paying players. The FBI trials essentially found individuals guilty for defrauding institutions by making players non-amateurs without the schools knowing it. Well, if the NCAA keeps losing bit by bit in these pay for play cases, are we close to a point in time to where what they did wasn't even illegal??

The reason the NCAA hasn't acted is because they are far more concerned about the pay for play cases than they are the FBI probe. And, perhaps they should be. I think we are way past the point of discussing whether or not paying players is the right thing to do. I think we are now to a point to where the NCAA may lose any and all authority over player compensation because the courts will take it away from them and make the decision for them if they can't work something out ahead of time.

Specifically, I do not see how it does not constitute price fixing. 353 div1 schools all agree to a limit as to what players can get. If players fit the definition of employees, which the NLRB has ruled that they do, then that is illegal.

If players were allowed to be paid, then would schools, or boosters, or agents, or apparel companies, pay them? If the answer is yes, then by law they are being unfairly prevented from receiving their fair market value. I don't see how the NCAA can get around that. Every indication in the courts seems to be that sooner or later, and it may be sooner, they are going to rule that the NCAA's amateurism rules are illegal.

So...then what? I don't know, and it's kind of crazy to think about. I would STRONGLY urge the NCAA and member institutions to try and come up with something that's fair and that makes everyone happy so it doesn't come to the courts doing it for them in a way that they will almost assuredly not like.
    Last edited by xubrew; 06-18-2019 at 11:30 AM.

I haven't seen anyone mention this yet. There is a bill in California that would allow college athletes to make money off of their likenesses that is very likely to pass.

The NCAA's response has been to issue a statement implying that California schools may be banned from NCAA Championship events if the bill is not rewritten.

So, this and other pay for play issues is what the NCAA is most concerned about. Not the FBI probes. This is essentially the hill that the NCAA is making its stand on. As I said in the previous post, I think they are going to lose. They've been losing. The courts, and now a state legislature, continues to rule against them. Instead of fighting something that A) I don't think they can win against, and B) is arguably wrong to be denying the players of any way, I think they should try and work out some sort an agreement that both sides can live with.

But, they won't. They will keep fighting for this ideal of amateurism.

And, I believe they will lose. They've been losing, so I think it's reasonable to conclude that they will keep losing. When that happens, they'll lose total control over player compensation (or lack thereof).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ll/1542632001/