Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Straw man argument. No one is arguing this. Villanova has proven that you don't need them twice in three years. Everyone is simply saying that X should recruit one and dones. That's it. Your argument is against shit no one is actually saying.

Ha, yeah, I'm not sure I saw anyone say you need to have one to make it to a final four.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

So in summary, there have been 120 one and done players over the last 12 seasons, and approximately 50,000 roster spots (underestimate) in college basketball over the same amount of time. So 0.2% of roster spots were filled with one and dones, yet 25% of FF teams had one on their roster?

Even if you don't need them for a final four or a championship, players of that calibre do help you win a lot more games. They also drive your other players to train and think about their approach in new ways. They shine attention to your program for more great players to consider what's happening there in the future.

Every fan wants their team to reach the final four and championship. Coaches and their bosses, however, ultimately want to win a lot more games, because that drives ticket and merch sales, and provides that "front porch" effect. Yes, to say they don't want final fours and championships is untrue, but really they care more about developing great talent, winning most of their games, and filling seats. Final fours and championships are just "2%" of that whole picture, which frankly is amazing and overhyped at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    So in summary, there have been 120 one and done players over the last 12 seasons, and approximately 50,000 roster spots (underestimate) in college basketball over the same amount of time. So 0.2% of roster spots were filled with one and dones, yet 25% of FF teams had one on their roster?
    It can also be said that 75% of FF teams didn’t need one. Or that there were more teams with one that didn’t make the final 4, than there were teams with one that did.

And it can also be said that of the 48 teams that DID make a final 4 there were 624 roster spots. Of those 624 roster spot there were 22 taken up by one and done players...about 3% of the roster spots.

What’s your point?

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    It can also be said that 75% of FF teams didn’t need one. Or that there were more teams with one that didn’t make the final 4, than there were teams with one that did.

And it can also be said that of the 48 teams that DID make a final 4 there were 624 roster spots. Of those 624 roster spot there were 22 taken up by one and done players...about 3% of the roster spots.

What’s your point?
    His point is that you are trying to act like 25% of final four teams having a one and done player is low when in fact it is disproportionately high.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

What’s your point?
    I guess Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Kansas and UCLA should stop looking for top one and done players and let them go to mid major schools.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    His point is that you are trying to act like 25% of final four teams having a one and done player is low when in fact it is disproportionately high.
    If I gave that impression that I feel that they are not important to the success of a team, then I apologize. That was not my intention. My contention is that they are valuable, but that it’s certainly not the way that the majority of teams that have made it there have used.

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    I guess Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Kansas and UCLA should stop looking for top one and done players and let them go to mid major schools.
    They can do whatever they want.....it’s up to them. But do you still say that it is “neccessary” to have one and done players in order to reach a final 4 and/or win a NC?

Sophomore
    Only 11 of the 48 teams that made a final 4 from 2006-2017 had a one and done, roughly 25%. In addition, there were many teams with one and done players that never made any final 4 during that period.

In any given year, there are probably 20-30 teams that have a realistic chance of reaching a final 4. Over a 12 year period that is somewhere between 240-360 possible squads that could have made a final 4. But only 48 of those possibilities made it, and out of those 48, only 11 had a one and done player.

MOST teams that make a Final 4 do NOT have a one and done player....by a pretty significant margin.
    I said percentage, not number of teams.

People saying Villanova does it seem to be forgetting they had Omari spellman this year.

They can do whatever they want.....it’s up to them. But do you still say that it is “neccessary” to have one and done players in order to reach a final 4 and/or win a NC?
    NO ONE IS SAYING THIS. WE LITERALLY SAW A TEAM WIN THE CHAMPIONSHIP WITHOUT ONE A FEW WEEKS AGO. JESUS EFFING CHRIST.