Page 26 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
    SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dc_x View Post
    Welage
    No, they would have never played together. Welage has one year left in which Moyer would have to sit.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by xu95 View Post
    It kind of does. If Welage wasn't coming and we had two available ships, Travis might still be interested in him. So it isn't Welage in particular, but it is because he took the scholarship that Travis might have allowed Moyer to have.

xu95
    Only if we fill the last scholarship which it looks like we may with a couple of the targets we have. But it isnt Welage anymore than it was any of the other transfers. I guess other than Welage was the most recent commit.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Steele may well visit with him, but I think that if he tells Steele he plans to leave after his freshman year, it will probably be no deal.
    I respectfully and strongly disagree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Makinde?
    Ah good memory, forgot about him.

Sophomore
    You mean Anthony Davis of KENTUCKY and Kobe Simmons of ARIZONA? Yep, those schools are like Xavier, aren’t they?

You know, Xavier. The small, private university with strong academics that we all know and love.

Seriously, I can’t imagine that the administration would look favorably upon the basketball program (or any of the athletic teams) suddenly starting to recruit team members that have stated up front that they are not there to get an education.....no matter how good a player they are. That stuff might fly at huge state universities, but I don’t think it will fly at X. (And I hope it never does)
    Yes,, I mean Anthony Davis and Kobe Simmons, both of whom X recruited very hard. What’s your point?

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    Derrick Brown.
    Forgot that.

Education first is “The Xavier Way”. If what you want is a basketball factory that only cares about the product ON THE COURT, and not about the players as STUDENTS, Xavier is NOT the place.
    The better Xavier's basketball team is the more it helps Xavier be a better school with better services and facilities and better students.

If Xavier has the opportunity to sign a guy who might be a one and done who qualifies academically and they like they will do it without a second thought.

Well, I think that you guys are wrong. I don’t think that Xavier will ever place the athletic programs ahead of the school. Even if they realize that athletic success helps to raise the profile of the school, they also realize that having athletic success is not the main purpose or focus of the university. I’m not saying that they won’t try to get players with the best talent. I am saying I suspect that one of the reasons that Miller, Matta, and Mack may have left is because the administration told them not to go after one and done players whose primary reason to come to school was to use it as a short stop before going onto the NBA. I think that they take a great deal of pride in the fact that players that come to X and stay for 4 years ALL graduate. I think that they take a great deal of pride in the fact that they recruit STUDENT-athletes. So let’s just leave it at that. You believe what you want to, and I’ll believe what I want to.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    The better Xavier's basketball team is the more it helps Xavier be a better school with better services and facilities and better students.

If Xavier has the opportunity to sign a guy who might be a one and done who qualifies academically and they like they will do it without a second thought.
    Yep. We aren’t deliberately filling the roster with kids who aren’t good enough to play in the NBA.

Education first is “The Xavier Way”. If what you want is a basketball factory that only cares about the product ON THE COURT, and not about the players as STUDENTS, Xavier is NOT the place.