Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Random Anti-Matta Thought of the Day

Is it just me, or was Thad Matta an average recruiter at X. A large chunk of the guys Matta recruited simply didn't work out.

There are some notable exceptions to the list below. Brandon Cole had an awful injury which hampered his career. Justin Cage was a great pick up. Duncan and Thornton were awesome. And I guess Stan.

But Miller is a much better recruiter than Thad was at X. And this explains why X struggled in 2005 and 2006. You can blame it on Thad.

2002 recruits:
    Brandon Cole
    Dedrick Finn
    Randy Holbrook
    Angelo Smith

2003 recruits:
    Robert Barker
    Justin Cage
    Boubacar Coly
    Justin Doellman

2004 Recruits:
    Dupree Lucas
    Brian Thornton
    Stanley Burrell
    Josh Duncan
    "I am at this moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip."

It's been 4 years. Let it go. Who Cares? Seriously, let it go.
    Zip'em Up!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
    It's been 4 years. Let it go. Who Cares? Seriously, let it go.
    come on now. Ha!!! Is there a "no mentioning the name Matta" policy on this board. I don't hate Matta or anything. Quite the opposite. He was an incredible game coach.

This is just a random thought which came up from a conversation with a friend who asked me if Miller struggled coaching in 2005 and 2006.

I don't think he struggled. He simply didn't have the players. A lot of Matta's recruits didn't come through in the ways Miller's have.
    Last edited by GuyFawkes38; 01-26-2009 at 11:51 PM.
    "I am at this moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip."

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFawkes38 View Post
    Is it just me, or was Thad Matta an average recruiter at X. A large chunk of the guys Matta recruited simply didn't work out.

There are some notable exceptions to the list below. Brandon Cole had an awful injury which hampered his career. Justin Cage was a great pick up. Duncan and Thornton were awesome. And I guess Stan.

But Miller is a much better recruiter than Thad was at X. And this explains why X struggled in 2005 and 2006. You can blame it on Thad.

2002 recruits:
    Brandon Cole
    Dedrick Finn
    Randy Holbrook
    Angelo Smith

2003 recruits:
    Robert Barker
    Justin Cage
    Boubacar Coly
    Justin Doellman

2004 Recruits:
    Dupree Lucas
    Brian Thornton
    Stanley Burrell
    Josh Duncan
    Cole
    Finn
    Cage
    Doellman
    Thornton
    Duncan
    Burrell

All seemed to be pretty decent contributors to me. 7 of12 ain't bad! I hate Matta but he did a good job while he was here.
    "UC #1 in the country and #2 in their own city!" ~Andy Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 3 Pointer View Post
    Cole
    Finn
    Cage
    Doellman
    Thornton
    Duncan
    Burrell

All seemed to be pretty decent contributors to me. 7 of12 ain't bad! I hate Matta but he did a good job while he was here.
    I wouldn't include Finn on the list. Duncan and Cage were great. But Burrell and Doellman strike me as more like role players (very, very good role players). And Cole and Thornton battled injury issues (of course, that wasn't Matta's fault).

Maybe I'm being too hard on Matta since Miller has assembled an incredible unit of kids.

That being said, its hard not to recognize a slight dip in the talent level between Prosser and Miller. Along with injuries, I think that explains the struggles in 2005 and 2006.
    Last edited by GuyFawkes38; 01-27-2009 at 06:55 AM.

So if Matta and Anti-Matta collided, would the universe collapse upon itself?

(Doellman) being a 4-year start is not a role player, Guy. Please look at his stats:

17th place in Scoring
    16 th place in rebounds
    3rd in Blocks
    132 Career Games
    also had 282 career Assists

Definitely NOT a role player.
    Zip'em Up!

I think 5 of those guys scored 1000 points if you count Thornton's time at Vandy. Sorry Guy, Thad could recruit.....he still can.

Doellman a role player? Please tell me you're joking. He's probably the best all-around player since DWest.
    dayton will lose by 40 and we will loot tonight.
    -Pablo

Hey Knobber.

He averaged 26 wins a season, went to our first Elite Eight and coached a National Player of the Year.

Yeah, Matta couldn't get it done.

What's next from your random mind? Top Jimmy just couldn't land the trillion dollar gift?
    Award Winning Poster Since 2015

Who knows what Barker and Coly might have been capable of? Neither really got a chance due to injury.