Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sophomore
    Landing local talent is the lifeblood of any program, but Xavier can not get all of them. We get our fair share but sometimes you just need players that fit certain needs or provide a skill set your local talent does not have. Good get for UC, this kid is a stud from everything I have read. In the 2011 class Xavier needs guards anyways.
    “Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.” -Michael Jordan

Yeah nice pickup for the 'Cats. Hopefully it works out for the best for everybody involved.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xeus View Post
    Why do you say that?

I think Sean is doing an amazing job recruiting.
    Yeah,
    And I think local recruiting is a plus but not the be-all-end-all.

The most important thing is to get a high percentage of the guys you most want. If some of those are local, great.

I think you guys have been getting a good percentage of the guys you most want and yeah, some of them have been local (or nearly local in the case of Jackson, Frease).

Banned
    Why do you say that?

I think Sean is doing an amazing job recruiting.
    I think that local recruiting gives us the free edge with the great players who want to stay in this area. Our recent record speaks for itself when stacked up to UC. That's why I expected us to have more pull with the locals. I like the prospects in NY and ATL, but I don't feel like we are going to hit on a high percentage of those good players because we are just another school on their list with no special connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold Horshack View Post
    I think that local recruiting gives us the free edge with the great players who want to stay in this area.
    Huh?

That's why I expected us to have more pull with the locals.
    We have recruited local kids very very well - we made the Elite 8 last year with the lion's share of the minutes going to kids who went to high school within 100 miles of D'artagnan.

If you are trying to make a point solely with respect to Yancy and Chane, as Eastside said X is not going to win every recruiting battle.

Mick Cronin is a very skilled recruiter, UC is a Big East program, and the past few years aside will continue to be a formidable recruiting opponent.

I like the prospects in NY and ATL, but I don't feel like we are going to hit on a high percentage of those good players because we are just another school on their list with no special connections.
    I trust Sean to weigh the risk/benefit of going after kids in other regions. As far as "special connections" I think our program speaks for itself, and kids will either want to be a part or not. No "special connections" needed, although if they are there they never hurt.

Banned
    Huh?

We have recruited local kids very very well - we made the Elite 8 last year with the lion's share of the minutes going to kids who went to high school within 100 miles of D'artagnan.

If you are trying to make a point solely with respect to Yancy and Chane, as Eastside said X is not going to win every recruiting battle.

Mick Cronin is a very skilled recruiter, UC is a Big East program, and the past few years aside will continue to be a formidable recruiting opponent.

I trust Sean to weigh the risk/benefit of going after kids in other regions. As far as "special connections" I think our program speaks for itself, and kids will either want to be a part or not. No "special connections" needed, although if they are there they never hurt.
    Huh? We disagree on every point. UC is formidable, but I think we should be able to hit on some of the big locals with regularity, especially considering how healthy our performance has been recently. Who was our last really big local recruit? I would say it was Josh Duncan.
    Last edited by Arnold Horshack; 08-13-2008 at 05:11 PM.

I personally think that as far as public school Cincinnati kids go, UC will win most times.

Huh? We disagree on every point. UC is formidable, but I think we should be able to hit on some of the big locals with regularity, especially considering how healthy our performance has been recently. Who was our last really big local recruit? I would say it was Josh Duncan.
    Our performance has been healthier than UC's for the past 25 years, but that doesn't mean we are going to pick up the "big locals" with regularity. Some kids aren't right for X - I'd put Yancy in that category - even though we recruited him, he probably made a better decision going to UC.

Again, this is a nice get for UC, but that doesn't make it a big miss for Xavier. I for one am very impressed with the job Mick has done putting the Cats back together - but I am more impressed with what Sean is building, local kids or not.

Talking

I don't know the kid or purport to know him. He'd be a recruit for the 11-12 class or the 10-11??? This kid's a freshman or sophomore?
    I point out one fact no other poster on this thread has asked about. What kind of grades does he have?
    Remember, Adrian Graves had a helluva rough time not only adjusting to college live, he had to make a major leap in the academic area.
    That is not a knock on the CPS, but I keep reading stories about how eighth graders and high school seniors are scoring low on basic achievement tests. I point out that Xavier has rather tough academic standards and that has to be taken into consideration when we're talking about recruiting.
    Besides, commitments made by freshmen and sophomores are as worthwhile as love vows exchanged by eighth graders. :D

The kid is going to be a sophomore or just finished his sophomore year I believe, and Q I agree with your point on the academics. The kid goes to Aiken, which is a pretty miserable school. I know nothing about him or his academic standing but knowing what I do about Aiken I definitely think there would be a much bigger adjustment period at X then there would be at UC. That is why I think UC has an advantage over X for the Cincinnati Public kids, obviously with some exceptions.