Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    What is a Mythical Jesuit anyway? Father Hulk?

Quote Originally Posted by XUglow View Post
    What is a Mythical Jesuit anyway? Father Hulk?
    Yeah, yeah, okay.

I was borrowing from references to the mythical national championship in college football prior to the BCS or the mythical Ohio Valley Conference comprised of X, UC, MU, and Dayton.

At least the Jesuit thing is more mythical than virtual, though it is more anything else than mythical.
    X A V I E R

[quote=muskienick;73181]Here we go --- pipe dream #3,746:

All-Jebbie Conference:

EAST: Canisius, Georgetown, St. Joe's, Xavier

CENTRAL: Detroit, Loyola (IL), Marquette, St. Louis

WEST: Creighton, Gonzaga, San Francisco, Santa Clara

_____

That's a ton of travel even if you keep the games to "divisions".
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    mythical Ohio Valley Conference
    The OVC is, sadly, all too real.

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Yeah, yeah, okay.

I was borrowing from references to the mythical national championship in college football prior to the BCS or the mythical Ohio Valley Conference comprised of X, UC, MU, and Dayton.
    I believe you meant the Mythical Miami Valley Conference
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

I'd like to have Butler added to the A10, or part of whatever conference might be formed in the future. I wonder if they'd even be interested though? The Horizon (MCC) hasn't seemed to have held them back. Which is kind of ironic when you consider Xavier fans complaints about the A10.

Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    I believe you meant the Mythical Miami Valley Conference
    Thank you.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmperorHasNoClothes View Post
    Yes, I meant that Loyola guy, born in a castle, and Francis X, also a royal guy.
    Yeah, Iggy and X were such elitists that they renounced all their possessions...I hate rich guys who are too good for their own possessions.

I was daydreaming again about the All-Continent Conference mentioned in post #18 in this thread. There traditionally has been criticism of such a widespread conference because of the travel time involved and the additional costs to the members.

That causes one to wonder what the cut-off point is for taking the bus vs taking the plane to an event. Certainly, XU would bus to Butler and Dayton and maybe even Duquesne. Do the Muskies fly to St. Louis, DC, Philly, and places of that distance? Our family has flown to Washington State (Sea-Tac Airport) and it's about a 5 hour flight. Heck, a bus trip to Chicago would take that long. Ergo, I don't see where the time/distance element should come into play. As far as the money is concerned, wouldn't a Conference such as the one described at the end of that earlier post attract many times the amount of League TV money (that most proposed members currently enjoy) and wouldn't local and regional sponsors be more likely to throw money at the radio and TV airings contracted by the individual members of the league (as compared to the current members of the A-10, Horizon, or WCC)?

I know, the minor sports are a part of this equation as well. How do the volleyball, swimming, and soccer teams now travel to URI, UMass, Olean, etc.?

[QUOTE=Muskie;73219]
    Quote Originally Posted by muskienick View Post
    Here we go --- pipe dream #3,746:

All-Jebbie Conference:

EAST: Canisius, Georgetown, St. Joe's, Xavier

CENTRAL: Detroit, Loyola (IL), Marquette, St. Louis

WEST: Creighton, Gonzaga, San Francisco, Santa Clara

_____

That's a ton of travel even if you keep the games to "divisions".
    The concept is a fun idea. I agree on the travel front. Also, not a real strong RPI conference with Canisius, Detroit, Loyola, SF and Santa Clara. This seems a bit like a nationa-wide Horizon Conference. I do like the idea of a preseason conference among some combination of these teams.