Page 55 of 115 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Do you want to borrow my tie?

Thanks, but this is more of my style.

No, I be concubining.

Go all the way

...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Bacon & Bourbon Beer

Listerman Brewing, on Dana near Xavier, is now selling a Smoked Bock Beer called Friar Bacon. They also came out with Cincinnatus, a stout aged in bourbon barrels.

I get some home brew stuff when I am in town but I have not had any of these brews. If anyone has the opportunity to imbibe, please let me know your impression.

BTW - it doesn't say if the Bock really has any bacon - but I assume the smoked aspect might give that sense to some degree..

Founders (Grand Rapids MI) All Day IPA*, Centennial IPA

Green Flash (San Diego) Imperial IPA, Hop Head Red,

Sierra Nevada (San Francisco) Pale, Torpedo, Ruthless Rye, Bigfoot

Troeg's (Harrisburg PA) Hop Back Amber

Two Brothers (Chicago) Cane & Ebel, Northwind Imperial Stout

Victory (Philadelphia) Hop Wallop
    AmX approved.

Epic^ (Salt lake City) Hopulent, Hop Syndrome

New Holland (Michigan) Hopivore*
    Want badly.

Unibroue^# (Montreal)

???
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Share a 6 pack of Ruthless Rye during the Superbowl. Pretty decent.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    Listerman Brewing, on Dana near Xavier, is now selling a Smoked Bock Beer called Friar Bacon. They also came out with Cincinnatus, a stout aged in bourbon barrels.

I get some home brew stuff when I am in town but I have not had any of these brews. If anyone has the opportunity to imbibe, please let me know your impression.

BTW - it doesn't say if the Bock really has any bacon - but I assume the smoked aspect might give that sense to some degree..
    I tried the bacon beer at beer fest last year. It is really different. It's very smokey and there is a lot of bacon flavor to it. The flavor stays in you mouth a while. I love bacon and I love beer but there is something about it that just doesn't seem right. If the smoke flavor was more subtle it might be better. It does not actually have bacon in it.

I wanted to try Cincinnatus but they were out of it. I usually love anything with a bourbon taste to it like Dragon's Milk or Bourbon Barrel Ale.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack Attack View Post
    It does not actually have bacon in it.
    That would eliminate too many segments of the population from their potential customer base.

The Friar Bacon actually does taste like you are drinking bacon, Wierd novelty, not something I would buy.

I really enjoyed Beer Fest.

Learned to stay away from the novelty flavors, but you can't go wrong with Bells Hopslam. In fact, I thkink they ran out early on Friday, I got it during the VIP preview, I heard it didn't make it to the general tasting.

Yuengling had a Bock, and their rep said they would be offering more of their product line here soon. Coors (yes Coors) had a craft beer Batch 19 that was really good. The legend goes they found the recipie recently that was used pre-prohibition.

Found out I really like Bock style beer. Lots of brewers large and small, lots of cooler kegs. Some do it yourself education and supply booths, souveniers, food (Taste of Beligum, Marcos Pizza, GREAT pretzels from Twisted Sisters, Keystone, and more) They had a booth making ice cream floats using Graeters Ice Cream and Left Hand Milk Stout. The float was even included in the sampling package, just one tasting ticket.

Leinkugel, Blue Moon broguht impressive booths, and Blue Moon has a large product line. The raspnberry cream ale goes down nice and smooth. Sam Adams, Great Lakes, Dogfish, all the names you would expect were there.

This year they went ahead and used the whole expoisition floor, probably a lot larger space than they really needed, but it meant plenty of wide open space to socialize and mingle, and very easy to walk around. It seems empty during the VIP session, but when the grand session starts, then you may have to wait in line 5-10 people back from the best brews.

They also fixed the entrance bottleneck that plagued them last year. what they did was open the doors at 6:00, tasting at 6:30, that way they could get the early arriving crowd processed in plenty early. (Processed in meaning ID check, ticket check, issuing wristband, issuing tasting glass and sampling tickets, and finally through the turnstile. Hope you didn't want to keep that ticket for a souvenir, they took the entire thing. Those using TicketFast print at home tickets had to go to a separate admission gate, as they actually needed to scan those tickets.
    - David Bowers ('95)

Heading down in a little bit. Can't wait. I've been giddy all day.
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

Sophomore
    I'm spoiled in Michigan with a lot of good breweries. Currently have the following in my fridge:

Founder's Porter
    Founder's Double Trouble
    Founder's Imperial Stout
    Bell's Hopslam double IPA
    Bell's Lager of Lakes
    Dark Horse Dark Reserve
    Dagonmead Final Absolution- Belgium Trippel
    “Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.” -Michael Jordan