Page 2 of 115 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahns Krazy View Post
    In another thread, I've discussed my fondness for the IPA's, and in particular the high ABV variety. 90 minute is one of my favorite, though it is on the more expensive side - $10-$11 per 4-pack.

I disagree. I think there are plenty of great American craft brews. Great Lakes, Dogfish, Sierra Nevada, Cincinnati's own Barrel House... I could go on and on.
    Quote Originally Posted by XUfaninJAX View Post
    Great find, there was a Dogfish head restaurant when I lived in the D.C. area where I would catch all the Xavier games. Great food and their beers are amazing there, all brewed in Delaware and shipped. Their Chicory Stout made great for the winter time. If anyone is looking for a good holiday beer at the moment, I suggest the Sierra Nevada Celebration, extremely tasty.
    Kahns, I think you and I were discussing IPA's in that other thread. By far my favorite type of beer. XUfaninJAX, you and Kahns both mentioned Sierra Nevada. I think some purists consider it too "mainstream" but the Pale Ale is one of my favorite all time beers. The fact that you can get it at most gas stations is a bonus for me. I also love the Celebration beer. They had an Anniversary Ale that was good too.

Incidentally, biggs Hyde Park carries the 90 minute IPA. I picked up some bells two-hearted, which I have waiting for me at home. The $10 price tag made me wince though...

I love talking about beer almost as much as I love drinking it.

More IPA!

Also, if you're ever curious, the history of IPA beer is kind of interesting. There's been a pretty dramatic departure from the British beer shipped to India, to today's American-style IPA.

I think there are better sites than wiki for this, but they're not coming to me right now.

Dogfish Head makes some great beer.

I haven't ventured up to the 120 Minute IPA, but I'm going to.
    The next trip to Party Source is going to fetch me a 4-pack of the 120 and a sixer of the Palo Santo - haven't tried either yet, but I've been impressed with everything they make.

I'm definitely a hophead. xu2006, I'm not sure you can get a 4 pack of 120 IPA...last time my buddy went to the Party Source, they were only sold by the 12 oz. bottle...and one 12 oz bottle was like 12.00 or something ludicrous. I've tried 120 IPA and while its smooth for a beer that was 21 ABV (42 proof), it was still just way way too much, IMHO. I felt like it was more of a novelty...here, try a drink of 42 proof beer.

Here is a small list of some of my favorite IPAs and Double (Imperial) IPAs.

Imperial IPAs -- Three Floyd's Dreadnaught, Great Divide Hercules, Stone Ruination, Bell's Hopslam, Two Brother's Hop Juice, Weyerbacher Simcoe Double IPA, and Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA.

Regular IPAs -- Dogfish Head 60 Minute, Bell's Two Hearted Ale, Stone IPA and Alesmith IPA, Dogfish Head Aprihop, and Two Brother's Heavy Handed IPA.

If you haven't tried Alesmith IPA, just wow...you can usually get it at River's Bend Wine and Spirits on 48.

And finally, do you like really, really good microbrewed beer? Do you like to have your meat smoked? (pun intended)....then when in Cbus....go here....you won't regret it...their IPA is great, there Double IPA is even better...their stouts are wonderful too...and the food is wonderful.

http://www.barleysbrewing.com/smokehouse/index.htm

As I said, you won't regret it...just make sure you have transportation...you won't want to be behind the wheel of a car after a few of their ales....

I prefer a beer like Newcastle, or a good lager like Moerlein. I tried the Dogfish Head brown ale - waaaay too hoppy for my tastes.

Isn't Three Floyd's from Munster? I'd heard they had shut down production temporarily. For expansion or some other reason. I haven't seen it in awhile. Their Robert the Bruce Scottish Ale was kick ass. Founder's also has a dynamite Scottish Ale.

They just opened a Kroger Fresh Fare across the street and the beer selection blows. I was anticipating it to be commensurate with Jungle Jim's.

As far as the strong beers I know Am X and myself are devotees of Dogfish's Raison d'etre.
    And I have had some DT mornings with Avery's Jubilation Ale. All I have to do in the morining is sit up from the headboard, take a look around and it is apparent I had the Jubilation Ale the night before.

I'm not sure why they call it Jubilation Ale. In fact I have a theory that alcohol is actually a depressant.

Also, there is a guy who posts some great repworthy beer posts in the Xavier heavy drinking group.

Walk-On
    If you can get your hands on a Clipper City Brewery's (Baltimore) "Below the Decks" barley wine do not pass up. It is 10% abv and is tasty. A six pack is all that is necessary. It is seasonal and is brewed in the late winter season.

I shouldn't read this thread in the morning.
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by XUfaninJAX View Post
    Great find, there was a Dogfish head restaurant when I lived in the D.C. area where I would catch all the Xavier games. Great food and their beers are amazing there, all brewed in Delaware and shipped. Their Chicory Stout made great for the winter time. If anyone is looking for a good holiday beer at the moment, I suggest the Sierra Nevada Celebration, extremely tasty.
    I actually live about a minute from the new Dogfish head restaurant....I try to make it over there at least once a month. They serve a 75 minute ale, which is a 50/50 mix of the 60 and 90...very tasty.