Page 13 of 115 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

The President's Beer

What kind of beer do you think Obama will serve up for the big meeting at the executive picnic table?

Apparently the commander-in-chief prefers Bud [not even an 'American' beer any more]

Crowley drinks Blue Moon and Gates - Red Stripe.

Not exacltly an adventuresome trio.

Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post

Apparently the commander-in-chief prefers Bud [not even an 'American' beer any more]
    It never was.

http://blog.beeriety.com/2009/07/17/...t-czech-lager/

Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I knew Western Michigan had a lot of good micro-breweries so I decided to turn the trip into my own little beer adventure.
    This was a fantastic report, Mr. Factor! Solid effort and very well done. I can't wait to try some of those when I am in Michigan next month.

You must have a pretty developed palate.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Does Ohio still have an ABV cap (10%)?
    Not sure actually. I always buy these in No. Ky. Hummnn, wonder if there's any law against that (bringing it home to Ohio)? Well, if there is, I always drink em right there in the parking lot.
    Xavier is THE University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    True - any Pilsner has its roots in czech - which most 'American' beer is basically.

Actually, I was refering to ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    True - any Pilsner has its roots in czech - which most 'American' beer is basically.

Actually, I was refering to ownership.
    I know I was just being a jackass. I just thought it was an interesting story and your post gave me a reason to post it.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    I know I was just being a jackass. I just thought it was an interesting story and your post gave me a reason to post it.
    Well, I must say, you do the jackass thing very well (I should know).

It was an interesting article. I was especially amused at the other 'beer myths'.

It used to be the big three just wanted to have the coolest comericals - funny, sporty, T & A, animals, etc. Now they want to try and sell brewing technique - like it makes any difference when your beer tastes like piss-water.

Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    So this past weekend I accompanied my wife to Grand Rapids, MI for her national cheerleading competition (she's a coach). She coaches little girls, anywhere from age 5 or 6 up to 14 or 15 years old.

I knew Western Michigan had a lot of good micro-breweries so I decided to turn the trip into my own little beer adventure.

On the way up to GR, we stopped in Kalamazoo and visited Bell's Brewery, one of my favorite breweries.

Very cool place with an "eccentric cafe". While I love Bell's, I was slightly disappointed with their tap selection. I ended up having two Kalazmazoo IPA's, which were excellent, although probably a notch below their Two Hearted Ale. I was hoping they would have their Expedition Stout on tap, but they didn't. I knew they woldn't have my all-time favorite beer in Hopslam because it's only released in the winter. I left with a Bells pint glass and a long sleeve Hopslam shirt.

The next day we drove about 40 minutes west to Holland, MI and visited the New Holland Brewing Company.

Again, another great brewery with a very cool bar/restaurant. I ate a burger and tried their cask conditioned Oak Aged Hatter. If I could only drink one style of beer for the rest of my life, it would be IPA's, and this was another excellent one. I could definitely taste the oak that the beer had been aged in and it added another level to the beer.

My second beer at New Holland was their Dragon's Milk, a strong ale aged in oak barrels with a 10% abv, part of their high gravity series. This ale has the look of a stout, it's very creamy and has wonderful vanilla tones. The rich malts are balanced nicely by the hops. Great beer.

My third stop was back in Grand Rapids, at the Grand Rapids Brewing Company. The only beer I tried their was their cask conditioned IPA, which left a little to be desired. While it was better than any major American lager style beer, it was probably the most disappointing beer of my trip.

The next day I headed to downtown GR and the Founders Brewing Co.. This was my favorite stop on the trip. The taproom was great. The wood floors and huge bar were awesome. The beer was phenomal. I freaked out when I saw they had their Devil Dancer beer on tap. It is a Triple IPA with a robust 12% abv. The hops jump out at you and smack you in the face when you swirl the glass and take a whiff. The massive malt is balanced perfectly by the HUGE hops. It has an incredible 112 IBU's. It is dry hopped with ten hop varieties. My tongue was sore from all the hops and while I could taste the warmth of the alchohol on the way down, it wasn't overwhelming.

My second beer was their Firkin IPA, a cask conditioned ale. Again, just an excellent crafted beer. I wanted to also try their Imperial Stout they had on tap, but after my first two beers, I was feeling pretty good and decided to leave it at that. I did get an order of their beer cheese dip served with chips and crustinis that was amazing.

My final stop wasn't a brewery but the best beer bar I have ever been to, HopCat. They probably had 50 beers on tap with about 200 different bottled selections.

I first tried New Holland's Imperial Hatter, a Double IPA, which I couldn't get at New Holland Brewing because they were out of it the day I was there. This was an excellent Imperial IPA, with 9.4% abv, and bigtime grapefruit and citrus notes, a characteristic of most IPA's and Imperial IPA's.

My second beer and my second favorite of the trip was the Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti, an Imperial Stout with 9.5% abv, big hops, vanilla, roasted coffee, and chocolate flavor. This was truly a wonderfully crafted Imperial Stout. Perfect in every way.

If you are ever in the Western part of Michigan, do yourself a favor and visit some of these places. There were a lot more micro-breweries that I couldn't get to and will the next time I get up there.

Tonight I had a Lagunitas Hop Stoopid, poured into a pint glass out of a 22oz bomber. This is a great beer, quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Also, for those in the Dayton area, Belmont Party Supply is hands down one of the best beer stores in the entire Midwest. It ain't much on the outside, but once inside, you will be amazed at their selection of American craft beers and imports with a HUGE selection of single bottles.
    Love Bells Brewery and Belmont Party Supply.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Snipe would be proud of your 100:1 quoted word to typed word ratio.

I'm still at the office. I think I'm going to enjoy a beer tonight.
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    I would recommend getting a bottle of New Holland's Imperial Hatter IPA....delicious. I've also grown pretty fond of Bear Republic beers. Racer 5 IPA is good, but I really enjoy their Big Bear Stout and especially their Hop Rod Rye. I'm not usually a fan of rye beers, but they put enough hops in it and are able to balance it out quite nicely.
    I like the Red Rocket Ale.