Page 101 of 115 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1147
    Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahns Krazy View Post
    For me, Rhinegeist is pulling away from the pack of local brewers. I have had a couple of Mad Tree's that probably should have been thrown away rather than served, including in their tap room. I have concerns about their quality control.

Rivertown has always underwhelmed me. Agree that I'm not all that excited about Red Hook. I've never really been impressed with anything under that corporate umbrella. It's mostly the "craft" side of Budweiser.
    I like Rhinegeist a lot as well. They, and Listerman's, are the two local breweries doing the most original and high quality offerings. I am biased about Listerman's though since my son will be managing the taproom there.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Beer Notes (The Official XH Beer Discussion Thread)

- David Bowers ('95)

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by coasterville95 View Post
    That price list would make more sense if the prices of the non-craft beers (e.g. Miller) were higher than the prices for the local beers.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

There is something out of whack on the pricing. I'd expect the Craft beers to cost more than the Crap beers - you do pay for quality.

I did some calculations on unit price to see if the 14 oz. small or the 16 oz. tall was the better buy:

D'artagnan's Deck
    Local Craft Small (14 oz.) - $6.50 - 0.464/oz.
    Local Craft Tall(16 oz) - $8.50 - 0.531/oz
    Red Hook Small (14oz) = $5 = 0.357/oz
    Red Hook Tall (16 oz) = $7 = 0.438/oz
    Miller/Coors Crap (16 oz can) = $7 = 0.438/oz
    Yeah, usually, the larger portion is the better deal. I know starting next game, I'm going to switch to the small if they don't adjust that. And a Small Craft is only 3 cents higher than a crap beer. So if you look at it in terms of Percieved Value. As an aside, at Listermann' tap room, they average $5.50/16 oz = 0/344/oz - with a lot of tap room beer being $6/16oz = 0.375/oz - so in terms of percieved value, the craft at Cintas is not that much higher than street pricing. Compare that to the street pricing of a crap beer vs. arena pricing.

* For those who can't see the image - Local Craft options were: Blank Slate "Fork in the Road", Madtree "PsycHOPathy", Listermann "Losantivile Pre-Prohibition Lager" and "562 Lateral Oatmeal Sweet Stout", Rhinegiest "Cougar", Rivertown "Lil' Sipa", and Old Firehouse "Hoser Gosse"

Main Concourse Beer:
    Miller/Coors Crap (20 oz draft) = $7 = 0.350/oz
    Premiums (Blue Moon Belgian White, Fat Tire, Stella Artois, Warsteiner, Hop Bomber) (16 oz. draft) - $7 = 0.438/oz (Actually, I didn't check to see if Hop Bomber was on last night, it would seem to undercut the pricing of the new craft beer bar to have a local craft downstairs for less, or if the downstairs premiums were raised to $8.50)
    Leinenkugels Cabin (16 oz drafts) = $7 = 0.438/oz (Canoe Paddler, Red Ale, Winter Shandy (Cranberry Gingerbread), Snowdirft Porter)
    Last edited by coasterville95; 12-10-2014 at 09:26 AM.
    - David Bowers ('95)

What sort of idiot offers 2 sizes, and then makes them 14 oz and 16 oz. That is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever heard, and that's saying something on this board.
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar

Beer Notes (The Official XH Beer Discussion Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Kahns Krazy View Post
    What sort of idiot offers 2 sizes, and then makes them 14 oz and 16 oz. That is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever heard, and that's saying something on this board.
    The same idiot who dumped a truck load of fizzies at a swim meet.

Quote Originally Posted by coasterville95 View Post
    There is something out of whack on the pricing. I'd expect the Craft beers to cost more than the Crap beers - you do pay for quality.

I did some calculations on unit price to see if the 14 oz. small or the 16 oz. tall was the better buy:

D'artagnan's Deck
    Local Craft Small (14 oz.) - $6.50 - 0.464/oz.
    Local Craft Tall(16 oz) - $8.50 - 0.531/oz
    Red Hook Small (14oz) = $5 = 0.357/oz
    Red Hook Tall (16 oz) = $7 = 0.438/oz
    Yeah, usually, the larger portion is the better deal. I know starting next game, I'm going to switch to the small if they don't adjust that. And a Small Craft is only 3 cents higher than a crap beer. So if you look at it in terms of Percieved Value. As an aside, at Listermann' tap room, they average $5.50/16 oz = 0/344/oz - with a lot of tap room beer being $6/16oz = 0.375/oz - so in terms of percieved value, the craft at Cintas is not that much higher than street pricing. Compare that to the street pricing of a crap beer vs. arena pricing.

* For those who can't see the image - Local Craft options were: Blank Slate "Fork in the Road", Madtree "PsycHOPathy", Listermann "Losantivile Pre-Prohibition Lager" and "562 Lateral Oatmeal Sweet Stout", Rhinegiest "Cougar", Rivertown "Lil' Sipa", and Old Firehouse "Hoser Gosse"

Main Concourse Beer:
    Miller/Coors Crap (20 oz draft) = $7 = 0.350/oz
    Premiums (Blue Moon Belgian White, Fat Tire, Stella Artois, Warsteiner, Hop Bomber) (16 oz. draft) - $7 = 0.438/oz (Actually, I didn't check to see if Hop Bomber was on last night, it would seem to undercut the pricing of the new craft beer bar to have a local craft downstairs for less, or if the downstairs premiums were raised to $8.50)
    Leinenkugels Cabin (16 oz drafts) = $7 = 0.438/oz (Canoe Paddler, Red Ale, Winter Shandy (Cranberry Gingerbread), Snowdirft Porter)
    Man that's some good work. You must really love your beer.

I did some quick math on the six pack of Rhinegeist Truth I smuggled in in my coat.

6 pack = 72oz for $10.66 including tax. = 14.8 cents per ounce. Best deal in the house.

Snipe will argue that his 24 oz Beast Light for 99 cents is better. I don't need to do the math to prove why that is wrong. Very, very wrong.
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

Sophomore
    Heading out for lunch today. I think I'm going to try the new Warped Wing (Dayton Brewery) Esther's Little Secret, a scotch ale with caramel. They partnered with Esther Price to make it. My hopes aren't high, but it sounds interesting enough to try.

Great Lakes Christmas Ale last night was very good. $12.50 a six is a little steep though.