Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A-10 Down Again

Quote Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
    @ Fordham
    If Xavier loses this one, I would personally recommend to the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee that they leave the Muskies out.

I look at the road schedule and see it as pretty easy. The games at St Joes and ud are always tough, and URI should be a good test. But none of those other teams scare me in the least.

We haven't lost in Olean in years. With the Pablo Memorial Magic Bus full of Xavier fans in attendance at the Duquesne, no way we lose that one either. Charlotte hasn't beaten a division 1 team yet, and Bobby Lutz could have his worst season ever. Richmond lost to Old Dominion, so again, there is very little chance of this team losing there.

We have built our schedule to build our resume in the non con part of the schedule. The lousy conference shouldn't affect us too much, so long as this team doesn't lose an unexplainable game to some shit team along the way.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Here's the thing that's so frustrating about Charlotte and Richmond's slow starts: They have the talent to beat Xavier on their home floors. Richmond may have the best backcourt in the league, and Charlotte really has enough raw talent to be a top 4 team in this league. I'd call those games toss ups for Xavier, even if they play relatively well. Charlotte nearly beat a better X team last year, and it took a career night from Duncan to get a win.

Road games in league play are tough. 5-3 is a good road record, but this year that might include two "bad" losses to teams that really aren't that inferior.

Dayton has to go to UMass, and I view them the same as Charlotte and Richmond. Enough talent to beat us, but enough suckitude to make them bad losses.
    Last edited by AdamtheFlyer; 12-05-2008 at 11:02 AM.

This is why I'm really starting to hate this conference.
    Award Winning Poster Since 2015

No question that this conference is a double edged sword for X.......it's weak enough consistently that we should be able to win the league on a regular basis. The problem is that if we don't win the league, we lose credibiity with the selection committee.

Would much rather X look to a stronger conference where a finish in the top 2-3 spots in the league, gets your ticket punched to the tourney.

The problem is, that we'll have to wait for a Big East shakeup before anything can happen. That could 4-5 years away.........no way Marquette and Depaul and a few other teams are a long term viable options in the Big East.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    No question that this conference is a double edged sword for X.......it's weak enough consistently that we should be able to win the league on a regular basis. The problem is that if we don't win the league, we lose credibiity with the selection committee.

Would much rather X look to a stronger conference where a finish in the top 2-3 spots in the league, gets your ticket punched to the tourney.

The problem is, that we'll have to wait for a Big East shakeup before anything can happen. That could 4-5 years away.........no way Marquette and Depaul and a few other teams are a long term viable options in the Big East.
    I don't mean to stir the sh!t stick here but.....

Do you really think Xavier has had that much more recent success than Marquette? They were in the Final 4 not all that long ago and have been a solid team in the Big East since they joined.

Get used to it... all the teams that are in the middle of the pack are going to give us a game like last year...

Overall, this league is down, down, down. The A-10 is losing games I thought that they would win, and keeping it close on some games that I figured they would get blown out. Either way, we are going to be in for some dogfights this year like always, and they are going to be ugly. It's Big Ten football at it's finest....
    Honey, I love how our sex is quick and effective. I'm quick.... and you're effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer1407 View Post
    I don't mean to stir the sh!t stick here but.....

Do you really think Xavier has had that much more recent success than Marquette? They were in the Final 4 not all that long ago and have been a solid team in the Big East since they joined.
    Agreed on Marquette being successful, but there are some teams that are wasting breath in there. USF? DePaul has no reason being in there? Providence? Syracuse.. yeah they should have been in before X two years ago.. but really... alright just kidding (Bias and Vitale reference)... But seriously, there are two teams that are from the NY area (the basketball mecca) that can't keep pace with the league. Understood it comes down to football and blah blah... it's a league X would fit very well in. Don't get me wrong I know that this might be a down year for the A-10 and I can only hope that some schools start putting the effort into basketball like X does. Know where the bread and butter is and make strides to succeed. No matter what happens now or down the road X will be successful, it's a known fact. We have provided the foundation for success, we can lose players for any reason and provide positive results. We aren't a one-hit wonder and everyone knows it. I wore my Xavier Sweatshirt to the FL-Alabama game tonight, and had a couple people saying that they hoped that Florida during their NC years would not play us. The name and the game is known, X is success!
    Honey, I love how our sex is quick and effective. I'm quick.... and you're effective.

Many of the assholes at ESPN (Bilas and Vitale included) are trying to throw their weight behind shortening the season to January through March. Of course, this would be a disaster for X, Memphis, Gonzaga, etc.. I think it's a concern that the BCS conferences might be in favor of such a move.

Anyways, I like the A10. In fact, I think X has a better chance at consistently making the tourney being in the A10 than the Big East.

The situation we have now is awesome.
    "I am at this moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip."

A10 finally had a decent day yesterday.