Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Three cheers for SFX for discovering China and inventing college basketball.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Today let us recall our intrepid and pious patron Saint Francis Xavier:

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

He led an extensive mission into Asia, mainly in the Portuguese Empire of the time. He was influential in the spreading and upkeep of Catholicism most notably in India, but also ventured into Japan, Borneo, the Moluccas, and other areas which had thus far not been visited by Christian missionaries. In these areas, being a pioneer and struggling to learn the local language of the indigenous people in the face of opposition, he had less success than he had enjoyed in India.
    Sounds like a badass to me.
    76-53. It's history not footnoted. - wkrq59

Pictured: St. Francis Xavier riding a tiger triumphantly into the streets of downtown China (yes... downtown China).

In all seriousness great thread!
    "He's just saying that because he loses every year. If I got my butt kicked, I'd say the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by BBC 08 View Post
    St. Francis Xavier, pray for us! I think only Go and bourbonman will get that, unless there are other Lou St. X grads out there I am missing.

Regardless, like AmX said, take time out of our busy days to remember St. Xavier and all he stood for.
    I can assure you that boubonman skipped school at St X the day they talked about this issue.
    :D
    Pray the Rosary daily

BTW on a serious note, thanks for letting us know this AmEx.
    Pray the Rosary daily

Junior
    St. Francis Freakin Xavier...

B-A
    Last edited by BandAid; 12-04-2010 at 08:46 AM.

Saint Francis Xavier - pray for us!

Little known fact - Francis Xavier was the first to pair a shot of whiskey with a glass of beer. He also invented the steam engine in his spare time.

Junior
    New statue of SFX blessed/unveiled/christened (whatever) yesterday in the middle of Ledgewood between the Learning Commons and the new business building. Be sure to check it out

Per Wiki....

The Novena of Grace is a Catholic devotion addressed to Saint Francis Xavier.

This is the Novena prayer that has been passed down through the ages:

"Most amiable and most loving Saint Francis Xavier, in union with thee I reverently adore the Divine Majesty. I rejoice exceedingly on account of the marvelous gifts which God bestowed upon thee. I thank God for the special graces He gave thee during thy life on earth and for the great glory that came to thee after thy death. I implore thee to obtain for me, through thy powerful intercession, the greatest of all blessings--that of living and dying in the state of grace. I also beg of thee to secure for me the special favor I ask in this novena. (Here you may mention the grace, spiritual or temporal, that you wish to obtain.) In asking this favor, I am fully resigned to the Divine Will. I pray and desire only to obtain that which is most conducive to the greater glory of God and the greater good of my soul."

It is then customary to say:

V. Pray for us, Saint Francis Xavier. R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

O God, Who didst vouchsafe, by the preaching and miracles of Saint Francis Xavier, to join unto Thy Church the nations of the Indies, grant, we beseech Thee, that we who reverence his glorious merits may also imitate his example, through Jesus Christ Our Lord. Amen.

Then add 3 Our Father's and 3 Hail Mary's in memory of Saint Francis Xavier's devotion to the Most Holy Trinity, and Glory be to the Father 10 times in thanksgiving for the graces received during his 10 years of apostleship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novena_of_Grace

You’re not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can’t face reality. Wrong is wrong...no matter who says it....Malcolm X