Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Stanley Who?

xman, you make some valid points.

And yeah, I know, I've called Drew and Stan overrated way too many times on this board.

But that being said, I do think everyone (from XHoops, to the local media, to the national media) have underestimated this year's team due to Stan and Drew's departure. And that honestly pisses me off. CJ, BJ, and Brown were the heart of last year's team. And they are back this year. Yet, you don't hear the same amount of praise for our awesome forwards.

Instead we hear a lot of BS about this being a rebuilding year, because Drew and Stan left last year. And Crawford, Redford, and Jackson are here next year.

This pisses me off. BJ, CJ and Brown should get their fair due of praise.
    Last edited by GuyFawkes38; 01-24-2009 at 10:57 PM.
    "I am at this moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip."

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFawkes38 View Post
    xman, you make some valid points.

And yeah, I know, I've called Drew and Stan overrated way too many times on this board.

But that being said, I do think everyone (from XHoops, to the local media, to the national media) have underestimated this year's team due to Stan and Drew's departure. And that honestly pisses me off. CJ, BJ, and Brown were the heart of last year's team. And they are back this year. Yet, you don't hear the same amount of praise for our awesome forwards.

Instead we hear a lot of BS about this being a rebuilding year, because Drew and Stan left last year. And Crawford, Redford, and Jackson are here next year.

This pisses me off. BJ, CJ and Brown should get their fair due of praise.
    Those three guys were a big part of our success last year for sure but in no way were they the heart of our team. Drew Lavender was the best point guard in the history of our program and Josh Duncan singlehandedly won us quite a few games. (in back to back road games against Charlotte and RI Duncan went 15-15 from the field). In college basketball the best programs reload by making sure their seniors step up to the plate and lead the team every year. Next year Crawford and Brown are going to be our stars and we're going to win a lot of games. Does that mean that BJ and CJ were overrated?

Trust me, everyone knows how good those guys are. If they don't, they haven't been watching. I think the concerns about the guard spots come because college basketball is now perceived as a guards game. Not to mention, it's tough to run an offense without a solid PG. Prior to Holloway getting experience, we were using Dante and, despite his great efforts, that's not his position.

Look at the Cavs in the NBA. They have had LBJ, as well as guys like Ilgauskas, Boozer, Gooden, etc. in recent years. But they have always struggled at the PG spot. They no longer have a stud at PF and have been playing without Z lately, but having Mo Williams at the point has brought this team to another level. Sure, LBJ is the main piece, but they still needed a legit PG to bring things together.

Before Holloway took over there were issues at PG for X. That makes it tougher for the forwards to do their jobs. It doesn't matter how good they are if you don't have guys who can get them the ball in spots where they can do damage. Those are things both Drew and Stan did well last year.

Plus, when teams make runs like we saw last year and in '04, it's usually the seniors that people lock in on and go crazy over. I think part of it is knowing those guys won't be back and part of it is respect for what they did for the program.

I guarantee you that when all is said and done, guys like CJ, BJ and D-Brown will know how much fans liked them...and fans, if they aren't already, will be fully aware of just how important and great those guys were for this program. And, honestly, I don't think trying to knock guys like Drew and Stan will do any good, regardless of the reason for doing it. You're not going to get respect for X, Y and Z by ripping on A and B, especially when A and B also deserve that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Xman95 View Post
    Trust me, everyone knows how good those guys are. If they don't, they haven't been watching. I think the concerns about the guard spots come because college basketball is now perceived as a guards game. Not to mention, it's tough to run an offense without a solid PG. Prior to Holloway getting experience, we were using Dante and, despite his great efforts, that's not his position.

Look at the Cavs in the NBA. They have had LBJ, as well as guys like Ilgauskas, Boozer, Gooden, etc. in recent years. But they have always struggled at the PG spot. They no longer have a stud at PF and have been playing without Z lately, but having Mo Williams at the point has brought this team to another level. Sure, LBJ is the main piece, but they still needed a legit PG to bring things together.

Before Holloway took over there were issues at PG for X. That makes it tougher for the forwards to do their jobs. It doesn't matter how good they are if you don't have guys who can get them the ball in spots where they can do damage. Those are things both Drew and Stan did well last year.

Plus, when teams make runs like we saw last year and in '04, it's usually the seniors that people lock in on and go crazy over. I think part of it is knowing those guys won't be back and part of it is respect for what they did for the program.

I guarantee you that when all is said and done, guys like CJ, BJ and D-Brown will know how much fans liked them...and fans, if they aren't already, will be fully aware of just how important and great those guys were for this program. And, honestly, I don't think trying to knock guys like Drew and Stan will do any good, regardless of the reason for doing it. You're not going to get respect for X, Y and Z by ripping on A and B, especially when A and B also deserve that respect.
    This whole post makes some degree of sense.

But I have to say that Holloway/Redford/Jackson didn't play great during the LSU game. In fact, outside of Redfords shooting, they haven't play well in the past 10 games.

All I'm saying is that we should all give CJ, BJ, and Brown their due. They have been far more key to the success of X than Drew and Stan.
    "I am at this moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip."

I think we can all agree, you're a jackass.

Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    I think we can all agree, you're a jackass.
    Ahhh yes, I guess I shall always be a jackass for taking on the "awesomeness" of Drew and Stan.

I forgive you.