Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Remembering Pablo

I've thought of our departed friend Pablo a number of times this week.

On Tuesday, as I cast my vote for John McCain, I thought of him, and remembered one of the best obituaries I've ever read, and it put a smile on my face.

And this week, as we gear up for another season of Xavier hoops, I've been remembering one of the greatest Xavier basketball fans I've ever known. I imagine this will be a tough time for his family, sitting in their seats and cheering for the Muskies without their beloved Brian.

So remember Brian McCormick tomorrow night as our Muskies take the court and begin another glorious season. Keep his family in your thoughts. And as his brother Matt said, "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."

We miss you Brian. LET'S GO X.

Quote Originally Posted by xeus View Post
    On Tuesday, as I cast my vote for John McCain, I thought of him, and remembered one of the best obituaries I've ever read, and it put a smile on my face.
    Well said. I did not know or had ever met Pablo, but I did enjoy the "discussions" he would start and/or add to on this and the other chatboards.

Since you mentioned his obituary I decided to go check it out at enquirer.com.

My favorite part: "Irish to the core, Brian was often wrong but never uncertain. "

My in-laws are Irish and that in itself gave me tremendous insight into Pablo; lol.

God Bless Brian, and his family.

Xeus: Thanks for your kind thoughts about Pablo, our Brian. His brother and I spoke tonight about how poignant it will be at the game tomorrow without him, but then we figured that his spirit will be there and will be more worried about how X handles a press and his not being able to get another beer than anything else.

We still feel his presence and rememberences like yours are most appreciated.
    Brian's dad
    26+6+1

Xeus: Thanks for the great post about Brian. He will be missed but not forgotten! I understand Dana's renamed the cheezy tater tots in Pablo's honor. I wonder if Cintas would let us sponsor the "Brian Dargin Pablo McCormick Memorial Beer Line?"

On a more serious note, we recently met with Xavier and formally set up the "mission" of Brian's memorial fund. Thanks to many generous people here on the boards and elsewhere, the funds will be able to retain Xavier students who need emergency funds (& to further honor Brian) regardless of academic record. Adrian Schiess, Director of retention services, will administer the fund. Since some consideration will be given to rugby players, cash disbursements will be strongly discouraged! (We picture Brian as being one of the first to try and give Adrian "a sad song," get a couple of bucks, and throw a hell of a keg party.)

We felt that Brian would love to help those kids most in need stay at his beloved university. In many ways, Brian never left - nor wanted to "leave" - Xavier during his life. This way, his legacy will actually make a difference for a XU kid when it really matters. Like I told Fr. Graham, "nothing against trees, but we think this is the best way to honor Brian."

If you want to help, please send a check to:

The Brian McCormick
    Memorial Fund
    C/O Xavier University
    3800 Victory Parkway
    Cincinnati, Ohio 45207

Or call 513-745-3314.

Lastly, some of you are aware that we produced a web site to make fun of/honor Brian. Take a look at http://onlybrian.blogspot.com/ if you need a smile. God, his Irish melon was huge!

We know Brian would want all of us to go our beloved Xavier games and ENJOY the experience. Think of him when you have the season's first brew. Think of him when the last second shot goes in. Think of him when the Dance Team “performs.”

Especially think of him whenever UD gets spanked!

Thanks for all of your many prayers. Brian, and all of the McCormick’s, still need them.

God Bless!

I only knew Pablo through Xavier basketball. I didn't know him all that well. But I am a better man because I knew him. He cracked me up. I kid you not, right now I am smiling and shaking my head in disbelief thinking about his antics. What a great, great guy. He is missed.

Love the site Matt and will be thinking of you guys during the game tomorrow. I don't know when I'll get to Cintas next, but whenever I do, I will continue to make my pregame visits to your section as I used to to say hi to Brian and the rest of you guys. He was one of the best Xavier fans I've known and was so welcoming and generous to me both when I was a young poster on these boards and later when I was a student at X. I will not forget that.

As far as I'm concerned, Pablo will always be present at that lower level corner of Cintas, and when we win one of those unexplainable games this year, I won't be able to help but believe that along with Fr. Hoff and Coach Prosser, Pablo will have helped pulled a string or two to help get us over the edge.

Best wishes to the McCormick's as always and GO X!

The site is wonderful. Thanks for sharing your memories (and as someone new to the X board scene, I suddenly have a desire to read his postings).
    "I am at this moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip."

I didn't have the pleasure of ever meeting him and knew him only through this board. And I'm the lesser for it. It was a privilege to minimally memorialize him in a column a while back. Requiescant in pace.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFawkes38 View Post
    The site is wonderful. Thanks for sharing your memories (and as someone new to the X board scene, I suddenly have a desire to read his postings).
    I had the same thought...already pulled up this gem:

Pablo responds to Watermelongate haters

Great thread xeus. I too will think often of Pablo this season. Having been a student at X when both Pablo and his big brother were there, I got to know two great Americans and two great Musketeers! He will be sorely missed, but never forgotten.

God bless Pablo!

Dayton sucks.
    "Xavier born and Xavier bred, and when I am gone I will be Xavier Dead!"
    NJ!NP! 8/30/12