Freshman

Harris out three to four months

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a recent post on goxavier reads Amber Harris had knee surgery today and is out three to four months.

First and foremost - get well wishes to her

Second - certainly a blow because of what she's capable of accomplishing. Now the depth will be tested early.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbluebrotha View Post
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a recent post on goxavier reads Amber Harris had knee surgery today and is out three to four months.

First and foremost - get well wishes to her

Second - certainly a blow because of what she's capable of accomplishing. Now the depth will be tested early.
    Oh man that's terrible. Will she then be redshirting for the year?
    Take that garbage to St. Elsewhere

This is quite a blow to McGuff and the Lady Muskies! The only silver lining is that if Amber redshirts this season, she and Ta'Shia Phillips can finish out their college playing days together as juniors and seniors. They could form the best high-low post tandem in the nation. Furthermore, that will also give Coach McGuff and his staff the opportunity to fine-tune the back court for those two potential deep runs in the NCAA Tourneys in 2010 and 2011.

Oh boy. I think we can all lower our expectations now for this year. Hopefully Harris has a speedy recovery and comes back at full speed.

This is really a no brainer for me. She should redshirt this season -- that way she'll still have 2 full years left with Ta'Shia.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    I also remember thinking back in 2000-01 that Amy Waugh was going to redshirt that season because of an Achilles tendon tear, but she did manage to come back in mid-January and became the missing link to a team that would ultimately win 30 games and reach the Elite 8.

If you saw today's Enquirer, you would have also noticed that Ta'Shia Phillips played all of last season with a 50% tear of her labrum (shoulder).

Cincinnati Enquirer - Phillips Shoulders The Load

so I heard on the game today that they say Amber wouldn't be ready until sometime in February....so when Februrary comes do you say, "Amber lets wait until next season so that you have 2 full years left in stead of one season." Or do you say, "suit up Amber we need you for the rest of this month and whatever we get to play in March." I say redhsirt her for the whole year and give her 2 full years instead of ruining this year by playing February and part of March....
    Section 201 Proud member of the Loudmouths. Our motto: Cheer often and cheer loud. And at times cheer long.

It makes absolutely no sense to bring her back at the end of the season with only a few games left. First, she will not be in basketball shape. Also, it usually takes a few games also for a player to get in a rhythm. Second, it will change the chemistry of the team and force players to suddenly take on different roles. The chemistry change is not likely to be a positive one. Third, if she's brought back, they will have essentially wasted a whole year of eligibility.

I know of a couple of teams who tried to bring back star players at the end of seasons, and in all cases, it screwed up the team.

He should just forget about Amber this year, and try to win with the players that are playing this year.

agreed...that is what I think too....
    Section 201 Proud member of the Loudmouths. Our motto: Cheer often and cheer loud. And at times cheer long.

Freshman
    I think it all depends on the bigger picture with Harris. If she will already have earned a degree and wants to try to play professionally, she might skip the extra year. If that's the case, they'll probably try to get what they can out of her this year.
    "Our stories are singular, but our destiny is shared" - Barack Obama

Sophomore
    I'm pretty sure that she is on time in grad. Therefore you bring up a good point. If she wants to play professionally and she will have already graduated she may not want to come back for 2 more years...