Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    70 free throws in a row?!?!?! WOW!! We know who'll be in late next year during a close game.

That explains why he didn't go to UC. ;)
    Talent on loan from God

Sophomore
    It will be interesting to see what the coaching staff does with Redford. With his great shooting ability do they play him off the ball or at the point? Also is he physically ready to play in the NCAA? Do they redshirt him and play Dante and Lyons at the point? What do you guys think?
    “Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.” -Michael Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by xufan02 View Post
    It will be interesting to see what the coaching staff does with Redford. With his great shooting ability do they play him off the ball or at the point? Also is he physically ready to play in the NCAA? Do they redshirt him and play Dante and Lyons at the point? What do you guys think?
    I don't think that he is currently ready to handle the role as a primary point guard at the NCAA level, and I doubt Miller recruited him for that. That said, he can bring the ball up the floor capably when called upon and it would be wise of X to put the ball in his hands late in the game when foul shooting is critical.

Physically he is average height for a guard and I will be surprised if he doesn't strengthen his upper body before next season.

I think mentally he is there. He is a confident player and seems to thrive under pressure. I envision the future inside-out threat of Frease and Redford and it makes me a little bit giddy.
    It's winning time.

Tied the Record

I mistakenly wrote that Redford set the Michigan HS state record for most consecutive foul shots made. With his 70th in a row, he actually tied the record. He was 12 for 12 from the line and his shot brushed the front rim twice. I wonder how he will handle his next attempt to break the record. My money is on 71 and counting...
    It's winning time.

Thanks for the awesome report Mich Muskie. Can't wait to see next years recruits, including the transfer McLean.

Quote Originally Posted by xufan02 View Post
    I put no expectations on recruits, but the more I read the more I think Pat Carroll.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

I have heard that Redford doesn't play defense, or at least, isn't very good at it, or at least doesn't exert too much at it. Mich Muskie?

Great summary. In this day great free throw shooters are hard to find and it seems that X is getting more than their share of them. That is a great asset when you come down to the end of games. Hopefully speed is not an issue when it comes to playing defense.

Defense

Quote Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
    I have heard that Redford doesn't play defense, or at least, isn't very good at it, or at least doesn't exert too much at it. Mich Muskie?
    Redford's on-the-ball defense lacks the "first-step acceleration" necessary to play lock-down man-to-man defense. And yes, I used a lot of hyphens in that sentence. Redford committed three fouls last night; two hacks in the lane and one from behind because he was chasing his man down the court.

He shows a tendency to anticipate passes and denies passing lanes fairly effectively, but is vulnerable to getting taken off the dribble by a quicker player.

In a zone setting, he tends to fall back (packline?) and didn't extend his coverage outside when the ball rotated that way very quickly. Now, given the clinic of horrendous long-range shooting put on by Bridgeport, that may have been exactly the plan. Let 'em shoot.

As far as not exerting or not putting for the necessary effort defensively, it's tough to say. A high school ego can be humbled instantly at a program like Xavier. In my opinion, defense begins and ends with attitude, and from my brief exposure to Redford, I don't see him as coming to campus with a 'tude problem.
    It's winning time.

Sophomore
    “Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.” -Michael Jordan