Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    I have seen some of those same YouTube videos Pimp. The kid loves to jack it up. I guess that goes without saying when you are scoring 49 points. How many shots does that take?
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    That kid gets to take just about every one of his teams shots. I hope he can adjust to a balanced scoring attack. I'm sure there are no worries, but it is going to be quite a change for him.

He'll definitely have to share the ball with Frease and Co.

he was 15 for 29 with 6 threes last night. Thats a lot of shooting... However he did have a game earlier this season that he shot 11-12 from three and scored 47. Shooting percentage wise last night was one of his average performances.
    "UC #1 in the country and #2 in their own city!" ~Andy Mac

Some more info on Redford at this site. Check out the article entitled "On the Defensive" where an opposing player talks about him.

http://greatlakeshoops.com/

Class B is the second biggest in Michigan.

Saw Redford play Friday night - Review

As promised, I am here to report my perspective on 2008 Xavier recruit Brad Redford after watching his Frankenmuth Eagles take down the Bridgeport Bearcats in Frankenmuth.

Let me preface this review with an overall generalization that I was not disappointed. I also do not know how many points he scored because I didn't get a stats sheet and lost track. If I had to guess, I'd say mid 20s. Solid player. Good kid. Pure shooter. Ice in his veins. Automatic from the line.

The highlight of the night? He set a new Michigan state record with consecutive free throws made (70) and through 12 games has missed only two foul shots all season. That's sick.

Other observations: Frankenmuth does not feature a true point guard. Redford actually shares this duty and will bring the ball up the court about half the time. He is a confident and competent ball handler and although he will never be accused of being the fastest guy on the team, he has a nice crossover move that helps him explode toward the basket. He also goes behind his back effortlessly. He scored on drives to the basket and also was able to find teammates wide open because of the double and triple teams he drew when penetrating. He passed to the wing, and he passed to the post. He sees everything.

Frankenmuth was able to build a lead gradually for two and half quarters thanks to a well-executed offense. Redford could take every shot for this team, and I think there were a few times tonight where he took shots that he would second guess when watching the game tape. That said, he is certainly the go-to guy on this team, so a score-first mentality would be easy to understand. The good news is, those poor shot selections were few and far between. And a couple of them fell anyway.

What impressed me was his court vision. He attracts defenders like mosquitos to a bug zapper but is quite adept at finding the open man. He takes care of possessions and rarely makes careless/lazy passes.

Bridgeport is a faster, taller, and peskier team than Frankenmuth. They played full court man-to-man or full court pressed for more than three quarters, particularly when they were trailing by 17 points late in the 3rd quarter. Redford's only turnover I can recall was when Bridgeport was pressing hard in the 4th quarter. Without a true point guard to break the press, Frankenmuth blew the 17 point lead and let the Bearcats back within 4. Redford did not attempt to break the 3/4 court press on his own because the Bearcats were trapping aggressively.

Here is part two of what impressed me. Redford took control late in the 4th quarter. He demanded the ball and was able to draw fouls. Of course, from the line, he is a machine. I was pleased to see his stroke wasn't fazed by the HUGE momentum swing in the final period. Instead, he essentially iced the game with three trips to the line in the final 90 seconds. One foul shot MAY have grazed the front rim. Strings were snapping all night.

After the win, my son and I greeted Brad on the court. He saw me coming with my college-block XAVIER sweatshirt and as I extended my hand to congratulate his performance and Michigan record, he said, "I like your shirt." I told him it's going to be a pleasure to watch him for the next four years. After a few more small-talk exchanges, he gladly honored my request to pose with my son for a picture - all smiles the whole time. He was genuinely appreciative of the fact that we came to watch his team. And now I realize that I must have accidentally deleted the picture from my phone. Damn it anyway.

So it's 1:30 AM and I need to wrap this up. The trip to Frankenmuth and back was more than worth the drive. Besides, I had the pleasure of some quality one-on-one time with my fifth grader which makes the rest of the night mere icing on the cake. Brad Redford is a good find for X. His shot is spot on. The release is quick - not Alvin Brown at-the-belly-button quick, but quick. He can hit from the expanded 3-point line with no problem. Xavier could have used Redford in Philly a few days ago.

Ratings:

Ball handling: Above average for HS. NCAA defenders will force him to step up his game.

Quickness: Average for HS - needs to think faster to defend better at the college level

Awareness: Above average. Great court vision. Great offensive savvy. Stays in control.

Shooting: Perhaps the best shooter in the state. Unquestionably the best foul shooter.

Defense: Will need to work harder and perhaps hit the weight room. His awareness helps.

Rebounding: Non factor. Will get garbage rebounds with his size (about 6 ft.) In fact, as a team, Frankenmuth is undersized and got out-boarded decisively. I don't know the final tally but the Bearcats were getting 5 or 6 shots per possession on more than one trip down the floor. Fortunately for F-muth, the 'Cats couldn't hit the Atlantic from Miami Beach.

Leadership: Above average. He took control of the game when his team depended on him. He also didn't blink under pressure - a sign of a great leader.

If I've left anything out that you want to know, please ask. I'd like to see him play again, and I hope they play in SE michigan during the post season so I don't have to drive 75 miles each way to watch!
    It's winning time.

Good God that was an awesome report. Well done and thank you!

Isn't there a Christmas village in Frankenmuth?
    Talent on loan from God

Quote Originally Posted by Stonebreaker View Post
    Isn't there a Christmas village in Frankenmuth?
    Yes, and I have to admit that when we drove by the Bronner's Christmas Village en route to Frankenmuth HS, I felt like a little kid in awe of the magnificent display of lights and decor and grew a little sad that the holiday season is over. Frankenmuth is a very cool little town with a ton of character. And cheese.
    It's winning time.

70 free throws in a row?!?!?! WOW!! We know who'll be in late next year during a close game.

I've never seen Brad play, but from everything I've read, it sounds like we've got a really great, underrated player coming in next year.

Thanks for the great report!