Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ricardo Johnson

Ricardo Johnson

is from Covington.

There has been plenty of talk around the state of Kentucky about what high school basketball player is the best of the talented Class of 2010.

And there are a bunch of opinions.

One player that is getting more consideration for that top spot is Covington Holmes guard Ricardo Johnson, who helped the Bullodgs to the Sweet 16 championship game last season.

The 6-foot-5, 195-pound Johnson is getting serious interest from some of the top Division I schools in the country. He was a visitor at Big Blue Madness last weekend in Lexington.

"I'm just trying to take it all in," Johnson said.

Johnson said Xavier, Kentucky, Georgetown, Cincinnati, Indiana, Butler, Akron, Western Kentucky and Eastern Kentucky have shown the most interest. He noted that Louisville has started to take an interest, along with several others.
    Balls of Steele!!

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/blog.html

The Sweet 16 runner-up last season was Covington Holmes and coach Dave Henley will field a squad this winter that could make it back to the title game.

Henley will have two of the top juniors in the state in Ricardo Johnson and Elijah Pittman.

The 6-foot-4 Johnson is getting serious Division I interest from Kentucky, Indiana, Xavier, Cincinnati, Louisville and a number of others, while the 6-foot-6 Pittman (photo, left) was a star at the Sweet 16 last season and is also a major Division I prospect.

The Bulldogs will get out and about around the state this season.

One of the best early-season games pits the Bulldogs against likely preseason No. 1 Scott County on Dec. 14 at Northern Kentucky University.
    Balls of Steele!!

Here's an update on Ric from the Adidas Take 5ive.

Johnson Shines at Take 5ive

Quote Originally Posted by therick44 View Post
    Here's an update on Ric from the Adidas Take 5ive.

Johnson Shines at Take 5ive
    I saw this earlier and I had to assume it was you who wrote it, correct?

Either way, thanks for all the great recruiting insight. You really know you're stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    I saw this earlier and I had to assume it was you who wrote it, correct?

Either way, thanks for all the great recruiting insight. You really know you're stuff.

Yes sir. Thanks I appreciate it.

Freshman
    Here's his Rivals site:

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewpr...2&pr_key=80927

He's a 6'6", 190 lb. Small Forward from Holmes HS in Covington, KY. According to Rivals, we are on his list, and Chris Mack is recruiting him, but we have yet to offer.
    There is nuance, and complexity...

Quote Originally Posted by dto View Post
    Here's his Rivals site:

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewpr...2&pr_key=80927

He's a 6'6", 190 lb. Small Forward from Holmes HS in Covington, KY. According to Rivals, we are on his list, and Chris Mack is recruiting him, but we have yet to offer.
    He's about 6'5 at best and the nice thing about Ric is he will probably be playing the point this year for Holmes. Even still he is more of a wing possibly a combo guard depending on how well he progresses on the ball.

Unfortunately for him, Mack and a few X assistants watched him Monday night when he really didn't play well. They weren't at the games on Wednesday when he really showed off his full capabilities.

I really think he is a MAC level player, but could thrive against that competition.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by therick44 View Post
    I really think he is a MAC level player, but could thrive against that competition.
    rick44, you say he's a MAC-level player, but I have two questions. Do you think there's room to develop? And, do you think X really has an interest in this kid, or was he a carry-over from when Mack was an assistant?
    There is nuance, and complexity...

Quote Originally Posted by dto View Post
    rick44, you say he's a MAC-level player, but I have two questions. Do you think there's room to develop? And, do you think X really has an interest in this kid, or was he a carry-over from when Mack was an assistant?
    Room to develop... Yes.

As far as X being interested... I'd say they have an eye on him, but aren't aggressively pursuing him. He says that they've been in contact since the end of the high school season, so whether that's 100% or not I'm not sure but I wouldn't doubt it.

His biggest issue is playing for the coach that he currently plays for with the AAU team. The guy is maybe the dumbest man I've ever heard speak and no one wants to deal with him including coaches and scouts.

Bottom line: He's not worthy of an offer from X at this point. This is a kid I'm around a ton and he has my cell number, so I'll know about it if he hears from X.

I do not think the the muted interest stems from how he plays basketball.