Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I.o.u.s.a.

''Things that can't go on forever, don't.'' - Herbert Stein
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by Kahns Krazy View Post
    Thor, what generation do you consider to be currently in power in this country?

Well it ain't the baby boomers. Look at city councils, state governments, and the Senate, and House. These spots aren't full of baby boomers. Sure, there are exceptions, but the lower level, more close to home spots are not full of baby boomers. This dynamic is well on their way out.

Baby boomers are defined, roughly, as those born between 1946 and 1960, making them between 48 and 62 years old. The current average age in the senate is 60 years old and the current average age in the house is 55. The current president is 62 years old.

City councils and state governments may be younger, but I don't really look to those as the real definition of who is in power. The state of Ohio budget is about 26 billion annually. Believe it or not, Ohio is the 7th largest state in the country in terms of population, but the state budget is less than 1% of the federal budget. It's the feds who are really in power, and they are solidly made up of baby boomers.
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

Kahns. that's a HUGE number of baby boomers, and I don't accept that definition. You are telling me that the baby boomers go up to 1960? So they are involved wih coming of age in the 60s, 70s, AND 80s?

I may be arguing semantics here, but I do not accept that. I would say baby boomers came of age in the 50s and the early 60s. Anyone born outside of that is not a boomer.

I don't know what "coming of age" means to you, but most wouldn't define it as being in your 20's.

Regardless, you can make up your own definition of baby boomers, but here's some links to show you what other people are referring to when they say baby boomers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_boomer
    http://www.bbhq.com/whatsabm.htm
    http://geography.about.com/od/popula...a/babyboom.htm
    http://www.aginghipsters.com/
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

Kahns, I simply do not accept that gross generalization of the people born in that time. You are basically saying that someone born in the late 40s is equitable to someone born in the late 50s?

I think the world changed so drastically between the time that these people "came of age" (12 to 22, kind of random, but is shows a timeframe) that comparing the ages loses assesment.

Example. Someone born in 1948 would be 20 in 1968, available to the draft and Vietnam, whereas someone born in 1956 would be 12, no worries about Vietnam at all.

I do not think that the kid born in '56 is a "boomer" per se. The generational gap is already in place.

If PMThor doesn't like the cultural definition he will just change it.

I guess I will decide that baby boomers aren't a generation after all. They are all separate individuals living their own lives. The baby boom never happened.

There. That is done. Never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahns Krazy View Post
    Baby boomers are defined, roughly, as those born between 1946 and 1960, making them between 48 and 62 years old. The current average age in the senate is 60 years old and the current average age in the house is 55. The current president is 62 years old.

City councils and state governments may be younger, but I don't really look to those as the real definition of who is in power. The state of Ohio budget is about 26 billion annually. Believe it or not, Ohio is the 7th largest state in the country in terms of population, but the state budget is less than 1% of the federal budget. It's the feds who are really in power, and they are solidly made up of baby boomers.
    Thank you.

Thor, you don't have to accept anything. People been telling me for years that the sun rises in the east. Doesn't mean I have to accept it as fact.

You are free to redefine the term "baby boomer" all day long. For me, a day is only 11 hours. I simply do not accept the generalization that 1AM yesterday is the same as 11PM yesterday. For example, at 1AM, you might be up too late, but at 11PM, you totally wouldn't. Not the same.
    -Matt McCormick

Sweet.

I rule. I hope you guys know you are living in my world right?

I simply do not believe that people born in the late 50s are boomers. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't want to label people either way....I guess you guys are willing to do....Snap.

Why isn't the 1930 to 1945 generation defined the same way? Can you explain why not?
    Last edited by PM Thor; 08-22-2008 at 12:04 AM.