Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I.o.u.s.a.

I.o.u.s.a.

I.O.U.S.A, the movie.

Has anyone heard of this movie event that is happening tonight around the country? Is anyone going? You can watch a trailer at the website.

The movie is a documentary on American debt. A main role is given to David Walker, who used to be comptroller general (The Government's top accountant). I used to read his reports and post some of them on past Xavier forums. I have to say that they weren't very popular posts, but that never stopped me before. I am a big fan of David Walker. He has issued a wake up call for all Americans.

He got frustrated when politicians ignored his calls for fiscal sanity. He then went on a public speaking tour of the United States. He wanted to get his message out to the people (the politicians were not listening). This film could be seen as a culmination of those efforts. A friend of mine saw it at Sundance (before the finishing touches) and said it is excellent.

I recommend this film to all Americans of every political stripe. David Walker is neither a Democrat or a Republican. I believe he was a Clinton appointment to the comptroller position. People need to take time and give honest attention to what he has to say. The time for a national dialogue on these issues is yesterday, but now would suffice.

I.O.U.S.A. boldly examines the rapidly growing national debt and its consequences for the United States and its citizens. As the Baby Boomer generation prepares to retire, will there even be any Social Security benefits left to collect? Burdened with an ever-expanding government and military, increased international competition, overextended entitlement programs, and debts to foreign countries that are becoming impossible to honor, America must mend its spendthrift ways or face an economic disaster of epic proportions.

Throughout history, the American government has found it nearly impossible to spend only what has been raised through taxes. Wielding candid interviews with both average American taxpayers and government officials, Sundance veteran Patrick Creadon (Wordplay) helps demystify the nation’s financial practices and policies. The film follows U.S. Comptroller General David Walker as he crisscrosses the country explaining America’s unsustainable fiscal policies to its citizens.

With surgical precision, Creadon interweaves archival footage and economic data to paint a vivid and alarming profile of America’s current economic situation. The ultimate power of I.O.U.S.A. is that the film moves beyond doomsday rhetoric to proffer potential financial scenarios and propose solutions about how we can recreate a fiscally sound nation for future generations.

Pointedly topical and consummately nonpartisan, I.O.U.S.A. drives home the message that the only time for America’s financial future is now!
    Check it out.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

This is not a very popular post.
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by Kahns Krazy View Post
    This is not a very popular post.
    As I speak it has a five star rating!

It is an issue everyone ignores. The "best kept secret in Washington".

We used to say that we are throwing all this debt onto our grandchildren. If we were only so lucky. I think that is a fantasy that we can keep spending like this so that another generation might pay. It is going to happen during our lifetime, not in generations to come. The end is much closer than people think. Tough history is coming.

It's not that people are ignoring it, it's more like everyone knows that we are a nation of debtors already.

There was an interesting story on the news this morning that I think highlights a key issue with America's lack of fiscal responsibility. There was a story of a girl getting ready to go back to school, whose families house is being foreclosed on. (I'll skip my rant on that BS bill congress passed to bail all those idiots out). At any rate, as the story progress it told the sad tale of how this girl had to (wait for it...) GET A JOB! She then had to use the money she made at this job to pay for her cell phone, and for back to school shopping where she was forced to buy clothes which were on sale!

I was appalled that this was on a national news telecast. Has our society really gotten to the point that we are supposed to feel sorry for teenagers who work. Perhaps if more people worked rather than waiting for a handout from mom & dad or uncle sam, or whoever the case may be, America wouldn't be in the economic siuation we are in. As a high-schooler I worked three different jobs, 35 hours/wk, played varsity sports, and made honor roll. Did not have a cell phone, and sometimes I wore the same pants to school which I had worn the year before. No-body ever did a news story on me.

Did you also walk to school uphill both ways? Gimme a break! You big curmudgeon!

Inconvenient Truth Tour 2

Will this get the same attention as Inconvenient Truth, or Wordplay (the Director's prior effort)?
    It's a still great day to be a Muskie, but a sad day to be a supporting member of this board.

I hope that it gets national attention. I would like people in Congress to see it and then comment on it.

Quote Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
    It's not that people are ignoring it, it's more like everyone knows that we are a nation of debtors already.
    While people know that we are a nation of debtors, they might not be aware of how it is going to affect them and the entire country in the years to come when baby boomers start collecting government checks.

Quote Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
    While people know that we are a nation of debtors, they might not be aware of how it is going to affect them and the entire country in the years to come when baby boomers start collecting government checks.
    Well, I definitely will give you that. It's like people know there is a problem, but don't want to do what it would take to fix it. It's really systemic too, from the top of the US government, down to the everyday citizen. No one wants to face facts about it, and for the life of me I don't understand why.