Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Kendall Marvel is opening for Chris Stapleton. He covers the Bee Gee's I've Gotta Get a Message to You which I think is better than the original. The rest of his music is solid as well, ranging from a bluesy southern rock to straight country. He was a good fit on a bill with Chris Stapleton.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    Sorry but strongly disagree with this. Wasn’t Edmunds the producer for the original song?
    Agree, hard to be an original Costello track. Mudhoney tried with "Pump It Up" but it didn't have the same energy. Hadn't heard Girls Talk before but Elvis wins again. There's a certain punk Buddy Holly to him that is hard to beat.

Feel like Weezer and Green Day to some extent took much from him and the Attractions.

There are just some musicians and songs that shouldn't be touched. I'm looking at you Madonna (American Pie abomination).
    Official XUHoops Resident Legal Scholar.
    (Do not take this seriously)

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Actually, the song was originally written and recorded by bluesman Eddie Cochran in the 1950's but was made more famous by The Who when they performed it live at the Leeds Music Festival. It was recorded and is on the Live at Leeds album. The Who's version is much better, to me, than the mindless thrashing Blue Cheer version.

No offense, nick, but I'm not sure how Blue Cheer ever got a recording contract.
    God, we finally agree about something!
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

The great (76 year old) Al Green covering Lou Reed's Perfect Day:

Quite a juxtaposition from its (in)famous use during the heroin overdose scene in Trainspotting.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Highlighting Al Green: his original "Take Me to the River" has been covered by many artists. The Talking Heads version is the best, in my opinion, and better than Al's.
    How sweet it is!

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by DART87 View Post
    Highlighting Al Green: his original "Take Me to the River" has been covered by many artists. The Talking Heads version is the best, in my opinion, and better than Al's.
    I do like the Talking Heads’ version but didn’t realize Al Green did the original. I don’t know if this has been covered in this thread but I really like the Rolling Stones’ take on “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg” but the Temptations’ version is really quite good. I give the nod to the Temps but the Stones really do the song a unique justice. Both are great.
    Last edited by nickgyp; 08-26-2023 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Edit

Hindu Love Gods (which is basically Warren Zevon and REM without Stipe) did a great version of Raspberry Beret.

And I know Bowie wrote it, but his live version of All the Young Dudes is a lot more fun than Mott the Hoople's version.
    Last edited by chico; 08-28-2023 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Typo

Speaking of Bowie, check out the whole album cover of Ziggy Stardust by the Buenos Aires band Capsula (2012). They sing it phonetically, so between that and their garage, glam, punk roots, it makes for an interesting listen. Nothing beats the original, but points for trying anf the homage.

And if you're a fan of 60sw and 70s pop rock, give a listen to the Rubinoos: Crimes Against Music (2002). The Bay Area legends cover tunes like "Little Willy," "Shake Some Action," and even "Brandy." You'll find something you think is better than the original. Talk about hearts in the right place.
    Warmly,
    "Mel"

Sophomore
    Don't know if you guys are aware, but Roger Waters is set to release a completely new interpretation of Dark Side Of The Moon in a couple of weeks. It will be called The Dark Side Of The Moon Redux. Here's Money:

Here's Time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcEHCVLMjAU

Thoughts?

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by chico View Post
    Hindu Love Gods (which is basically Warren Zevon and REM without Stipe) did a great version of Raspberry Beret.

And I know Bowie wrote it, but his live version of All the Young Dudes is a lot more fun than Mott the Hoople's version.
    Heard Bowie’s version at Dayton’s Hara arena during his 1974 Diamond Dogs tour. Very well done although Mott the Hoople’s version is a great listen.