Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It looks like X will probably look to bring another big man in for depth in the coming years. After Love graduates, Frease will need a back-up.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

I guess he was a year behind Raymond.

xu95

Quote Originally Posted by xu95 View Post
    I guess he was a year behind Raymond.

xu95
    That's correct...he graduated after BJ. Those must have been some good years to watch ball in Toledo - B.Roberts, BJ Raymond, A.Taylor. OK, so maybe Taylor isn't on the same level as the other guys, but he was apparently a pretty good high school player.

Did anyone hear about the Lithuanian kid who committed? Just kidding!!! (Although why can't it work on April 2nd too?)

Sophomore
    So with Holloway in the mix I think we are done with guards for the 2009 class unless a stud SG wants to verbal. Here is a scholarship breakdown the and how I see the 2009 class going down.

Freshman:
    PG/SG: Redford (redshirt)
    PG/SG: Lyons
    SG/SF: Walsh
    PG: Holloway
    C: Frease

Sophomores:
    SG: Jackson
    PF: Jamel Mclean
    SF: Andrew Taylor

Juniors:
    C: Love
    WF: Brown
    SG: Graves

Seniors:
    SF: Raymond
    SF: Anderson

I see Redford getting the redshirt. He has sick shooting ability but of all the freshman he has the most physical maturing to do. I also do not see his future on this team and the PG position. I see him as an undersized SG like AJ Graves of Butler.

I also think that although Xavier only has 2 scholarships for the 2009 class we will have 3 when its all said and done. Someone with either transfer or a player will qualify for academic support. I'm not saying I know anything, this is pure speculation but history tell me something of the like with happen.

Well, the 2009 class I think will be a WF, SF, and PF.

I think Xavier will get a slashing athlete at the SF spot in the CJ mold: either Ari or Tevin

The WF will be someone like Duncan and Brown that can play facing the basket: Hosley

The PF will be someone who is defensive minded and a shot blocker: Still

Obviously this is my dream class: Ari, Hosely, and Still

Some other options are: SF/Parrom, SG/Lawrence, PF?Olsen, SF/Shannon, and SG/SF Hibbert. We shall see. Anyone have thoughts. Also Scout just released their new top 100. Ari did drop a bit.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/745153.html
    “Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.” -Michael Jordan

Scout Top 100 Players that Xavier is recruiting:

#29 Ari Stewart, SF (Georgia)

#46 Omari Lawrence, SG - Bronx, NY Has good relationship with Book. Played for the Gauchos.

#54 Kammeon Holsey, PF (Georgia)

#65 Terrence Shannon, PF (Georgia)

#75 Durand Scott, SG (New York)

#83 James Still, C (Michigan)

#100 Naji Hibbert, SG (Maryland)

Obviously rankings are subjective. Tevin Baskin isn't in Scout's Top 100 and there are always a ton of unranked gems in every class.

I've got faith in Sean and his staff to evaluate and find good talent, regardless of rankings.

It is nice to see us involved with so many Top 100 type of kids though.

Dream class: Ari Stewart and any combination of guys, preferably a PF/C or two.

Omari Lawrence really looks nice too though. He could turn out to be a beast.

Dang! Ari dropped to a 4 star. I was hoping we would be landing a 5 star.

I think if we land Ari, we will also be getting Mfon Udofia. They are very good friends and Udofia got interested in Xavier once Ari did. Udofia is ranked #36 overall by Rivals.

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeXfan View Post
    I think if we land Ari, we will also be getting Mfon Udofia. They are very good friends and Udofia got interested in Xavier once Ari did. Udofia is ranked #36 overall by Rivals.
    Two potentially legit point guards in the '08 class (Holloway, Lyons) doesn't seem to bode well for picking up another in the '09 class though. That being said, I am all for Mfon coming to Xavier.

I heard someone say once that the better the recruit is the less they are worried about playing time. (Probaby because the recruit assumes they are good enough to play right away.) Regardless I hope that rings true with Mfon.

James Still apparently wants to play PF and will give preference to schools that will allow him to do so. Supposedly, this includes X.

I have a real tough time red-shirting Redford if he's the shooter everyone says he is. Thankfully Sean, the man making the decision, will actually see him in action before making that decision.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    I have a real tough time red-shirting Redford if he's the shooter everyone says he is.
    As I have, I'm sure you have watched the Redford video on youtube. I realize it's a highlight reel, but I don't think there's any way to question that he's an amazing shooter. Add in his numbers, the kid can flat fill it...at the high school level.

My only concern is this: will Redford be able to get his shot off at the college level? Obviously he won't get it off as easily in college as he did in high school. That's probably the case with 99.9% of all kids coming in. But will he be able to get it off enough to be a big time threat? If so, I have no doubts he'll make more than his share of 3's, mid-range jumpers and clutch free throws.

Muskie, enjoy the well earned rep points...not just for this post, but a history of good ones!