Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jonathan Powell

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    Honestly, if this is going to be reality, slash the recruiting budget and put it into NIL somehow, and stop asking fans to pay for this stupidity.

Unless you're a top 25 freshman that can 100% start immediately, what's the point?

We have ZERO recruits for next year, and I'm guessing they spent a sh*tload of money on recruiting. This shouldn't be our mess.
    Also, entirely foreseeable. All this was coming from a mile away. All you had to do was envision the sequence of events. My guess is that Powell will go somewhere probably at a lower level where he can play right away and demonstrate his value. He will be in the portal next year, looking for that money and that Starting job at a Big school. Thats the blueprint, folks.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Also, entirely foreseeable. All this was coming from a mile away. All you had to do was envision the sequence of events. My guess is that Powell will go somewhere probably at a lower level where he can play right away and demonstrate his value. He will be in the portal next year, looking for that money and that Starting job at a Big school. Thats the blueprint, folks.
    Pretty much.

Junior
    It’s exactly why I said mid majors are going to be able to get talent they never got before. Bigger schools will want proven talent. A guy like Craft (top 75 recruit) will be playing at Miami. Kyky went to not even a mid major and produced the highest scoring season in program history.

So at a mid major you’ll have better shot at bringing in higher end talent than you ever had. My strategy would be leaning into that as much as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    It’s exactly why I said mid majors are going to be able to get talent they never got before. Bigger schools will want proven talent. A guy like Craft (top 75 recruit) will be playing at Miami. Kyky went to not even a mid major and produced the highest scoring season in program history.

So at a mid major you’ll have better shot at bringing in higher end talent than you ever had. My strategy would be leaning into that as much as you can.
    Yeah. And I said that 3 years ago.

Should X even bother to recruit kids from high school any more? No player development. Every player is potentially a one-year deal.

Honestly this is the kind of shit that is making me want to bail on my decade+ season tickets. New team every year, guys mandating what type of NIL they get, uncapped free agency. There's no one to root for anymore. No more Jason Love, Justin Doellman, Romain Sato types to watch develop into incredible players. Team? What team? It's 5-10 guys playing watch what I can do. The golden era of college basketball is over. Might as well just call it minor leagues at this point.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Should X even bother to recruit kids from high school any more? No player development. Every player is potentially a one-year deal.
    Sure would seem to significantly diminish the recruiting budget. Put that money into NIL. I'd have to imagine X's recruiting budget is $5-10M per year?

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    Sure would seem to significantly diminish the recruiting budget. Put that money into NIL. I'd have to imagine X's recruiting budget is $5-10M per year?
    WHAT!!!!

if you meant 5 dollars to 10Million, then yes I agree. But I think you meant 5 million to 10 million.

I mean, how COULD you even spend that much money. the coaching staff is already paid for and they are doing the work. so this is travel, accommodations, tickets to tournaments maybe, cost of the on campus visits, a bunch of swag / gear and marketing materials. Im thinking 250K????

All-Conference
    WHAT!!!!

if you meant 5 dollars to 10Million, then yes I agree. But I think you meant 5 million to 10 million.

I mean, how COULD you even spend that much money. the coaching staff is already paid for and they are doing the work. so this is travel, accommodations, tickets to tournaments maybe, cost of the on campus visits, a bunch of swag / gear and marketing materials. Im thinking 250K????
    Honestly, it was a complete guess, but the point being we really don't need a recruiting budget if we're just going to sign free agents most years. At a minimum, the recruiting budget should be slashed. There has to be a way to get it into NIL.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    It's interesting because we'll never get the 5* immediate contributors that some bigger programs get, so really our high school recruits have to sit and develop, but in this new era of the portal and NIL it doesn't seem possible, if you can completely rebuild a roster without recruiting high school kids, why not take the talent that has the experience of playing at the college level? It sucks because it's more fun to follow a kid that commits to the program and watch how he grows over the years, but it's probably just not the best way to fill out a roster anymore.