Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Jonathan Powell

I think this new world will benefit X. Most of the schools we compete with are going to put almost all NIL into football. We should have an advantage over programs like UC & most of the Big 10, ACC & Big 12 - football will take 90% or more of NIL $$$. We will be at the same disadvantage we've always been to UK, Duke & the blue bloods/highest $$ programs. Just like always we must have a great coach that can convince guys we can get them to the next level, whether NBA or International. Miller has done that very well. Play a fun style, play in the Big East & have a good coach.

I'm excited & ready for the new world.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    For some reason I thought you argued NIL kills mid majors but if we agree they are getting the best talent they ever have then that can’t be right.
    You can’t be serious. This goes over your head?

Example: mid major brings in 5 good freshmen. Has a solid year. Returns as sophs. Has a really good year. All 5 transfer to Xavier. Mid major replaces with 5 more good freshmen. Mid major plays Xavier and Xavier absolutely annihilates them using their own guys that are 2 years older than the new mid major guys.

You couldn’t connect the dots on that? Are you that dense. This was my entire point for the last 3 years. I explained it over and over and then when it starts happening you think it’s some kind of evidence that I’m not correct?

You sir, are dense.
    Last edited by MHettel; 05-03-2024 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 200 View Post
    I think this new world will benefit X. Most of the schools we compete with are going to put almost all NIL into football. We should have an advantage over programs like UC & most of the Big 10, ACC & Big 12 - football will take 90% or more of NIL $$$. We will be at the same disadvantage we've always been to UK, Duke & the blue bloods/highest $$ programs. Just like always we must have a great coach that can convince guys we can get them to the next level, whether NBA or International. Miller has done that very well. Play a fun style, play in the Big East & have a good coach.

I'm excited & ready for the new world.
    The teams with the largest alumni base will have an advantage. And if it’s a quality school where alumni go out and earn a lot of money then they will really be well positioned. There are schools out there that have 10X more alumni than Xavier. Probably some that might have 20X the amount. I get that Football will get the NIL first, for the most part. But if you have 200,000 alumni out there and just one half of one percent (1000) are die hard BBall fans and have the means to do it, you can put together a huge NIL that is earmarked for BBall.

It’s a number game. What I wouldn’t want to be is a small school that has football and is in a big conference. northwestern, wake, Duke, vandy. I just don’t see how they can put money into football and basketball. It’s like a small market baseball team.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    You can’t be serious. This goes over your head?

Example: mid major brings in 5 good freshmen. Has a solid year. Returns as sophs. Has a really good year. All 5 transfer to Xavier. Mid major replaces with 5 more good freshmen. Mid major plays Xavier and Xavier absolutely annihilates them using their own guys that are 2 years older than the new mid major guys.

You couldn’t connect the dots on that? Are you that dense. This was my entire point for the last 3 years. I explained it over and over and then when it starts happening you think it’s some kind of evidence that I’m not correct?

You sir, are dense.

I think FAU playing SDST in the final four last year was evidence. Though I asked if that has happened much before NIL and you never responded? Is that what you were referring to when you said mid majors would suffer?

Of FAUs final four team, how many got snatched up in the portal? Probably most the starters?
    Last edited by Xavier; 05-03-2024 at 06:19 PM.

I think FAU playing SDST in the final four last year was evidence. Though I asked if that has happened much before NIL and you never responded? Is that what you were referring to when you said mid majors would suffer?

Of FAUs final four team, how many got snatched up in the portal?
    Careful with last year's final 4, both FAU and SDSU had a few 5th year seniors. That is a phenomena that is disappearing. No more 23-5 year old seniors who are grown ass men playing against young adults.

Wow. I wrote a lengthy post last year about how SDSU simply was an early adopter of utilizing the portal to create a deep, experienced, veteran roster. They cracked the code before the “pack”.

This is the baseball “shift”. First it’s a gimmick, then some teams do it sometime. Then all teams do it sometimes. Then all teams do it all the time. How do you not get this? SDSU is the perfect example! It worked! Now the big boys will start doing it and the little window of time that it was an advantage will end.

I can’t explain FAU. I’ve never tried to. Great coach that found some really good players and hit a groove. But the coach has now left and a couple of the guys just went in the portal and moved to Bigger schools.

The dream is over, FAU.

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    Careful with last year's final 4, both FAU and SDSU had a few 5th year seniors. That is a phenomena that is disappearing. No more 23-5 year old seniors who are grown ass men playing against young adults.
    Interesting! You edited out that last part!

Do you want me to answer that? Probably not since you already know that answer. Lol

Junior

I can’t explain FAU. I’ve never tried to...
    ….ya think? lol it’s easy to predict something and claim you were right when evidence shows otherwise it’s brushed away with “just can’t explain that one”

….ya think? lol it’s easy to predict something and claim you were right when evidence shows otherwise it’s brushed away with “just can’t explain that one”
    Yet their coach and the best players have left.

Junior
    Yet their coach and the best players have left.
    *after they all returned following the final four run. In fact it was the only team in the final four that didn’t have anyone enter the portal. A mid major team! Interesting.

“Just can’t explain that one” is a classic Hett line to overlook facts that prove him wrong. Definitely saving that for the future lol. I’ll leave you alone again, not derailing another thread.