Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
I guess you have ncaa derangement syndrome too. Whatever.

I’m not very knowledgeable about how the ncaa dispersed its revenue, but I’ve been of the impression that it largely went back to the conferences which in turn supported students on the whole.

If an athlete is marketable, ie nil, then go get your money. Problem is very few really are. And even fewer are separate from a school affiliation.
That's basically correct. There is a ton of money in college sports, but the NCAA itself, as in the league office, makes a very small percentage of it. They have one cash cow, and most of that money goes back to the schools and conferences. The rest is spent on championships for all the other sports in all 3 of the divisions.

The legal issue the NCAA is facing are the courts are saying it's their rules that are injuring the plaintiffs, so therefore they are responsible for the financial damages.

Many at the NCAA have said what's been said here. Players don't have to play if they don't want to. That hasn't worked. They've also said that it's the schools who actually make the rules and get the money while the NCAA just acts as a commissioner of sorts, and they're right. But, the courts' response to this seems to be "Well...tough shit. Take it up with the schools, then! It's YOU that's on the hook."

I've been sort of following this rather closely, but I'm not a lawyer. I understand this on an elementary level and not an expert level. But, something I do understand is that the NCAA's lawyers probably understand this on an expert level, and they have advised the NCAA that they cannot win the House Case. If they are forced to pay $4 billion, I don't know exactly what that means or how that plays out, but I'm thinking that if that happens then there's a very good chance the NCAA will exist anymore.