Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Sophomore

Airing of Grievances: NIL/Portal

Welcome to the Twilight zone. It seems inevitable that the topics of NIL and the transfer portal will be an ongoing conversation for the foreseeable future, but as they are seeping into almost every other thread, it’s time to give the conversation its own home. Perhaps now we can limit the Transfer Portal thread to the excitement and anguish of roster comings and goings, and maybe even satisfy some posters’ crack addictions. Shame-shame-shame can also now be cast here on backbenchers like me, while the “Final 2%” thread can be left to focus on the important people working to fund the war machine. Feel free to bitch, moan, dismiss, assuage, or bypass altogether.

I’ll start by whining about the most recent drift in the “Transfer Portal” thread; On the topic of making players university employees, collective bargaining, and revenue sharing. I’m curious how people see this happening. I am skeptical, especially of the latter two. This would be immensely complex. I mean, it is when you have one employer and one group of employees, but there are so many layers here: NCAA, conferences, schools, not to mention the unique media deals with each. Would employee-players bargain with their respective programs, the conferences,the NCAA? If the universities themselves, then wouldn’t each school have its own set of rules? If the conferences, are programs like UK going to share revenue with programs like Vanderbilt? If the NCAA, Are the Big 10 and SEC going to share with the Big East or ACC?

There are lots of conceivable problems no matter how you cut it, and I think there’s no way any of this happens without sweeping legislation. I can’t imagine a scenario where each team forms its own union, so this will have to happen under a broader context. I also can’t see all 350 D-1 programs coming under a single CBA, so would there then be tiers? Then there’s the issue of unions composed of 18-22 yr-old college kids. Can they form a strong union, or will they buckle like a Baltimore bridge? “hey kid, you’ve reached your dream of playing D-1 basketball (you’re even fully compensated for it), but we need you to hold your ground now, because we’re going on strike!” Or, more laughable yet, the college kids get locked out— by college administrators!
    Bjork Vanishes After Fan Tricks Her Into Saying Name Backwards ~ TheHardTimes.netb

Supporting Member
    Frankly, I don’t know how it would work. I don’t know all the laws that will need to change to make it possible.

What I do know is that the current system isn’t sustainable, and something is going to have to change. Going to be hard to put some of the genie back in the bottle, so the only way to do that is thru legislation.

I for one am happy about NIL. I no longer have to worry about the basketball players expecting free food and drinks now that they make more than I do!
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 94GRAD View Post
    I for one am happy about NIL. I no longer have to worry about the basketball players expecting free food and drinks now that they make more than I do!
    We can now get them to buy for us.

Quote Originally Posted by 94GRAD View Post
    Wait. Just hold up. Are the Club players still allowed to beg for free food/drinks? :)
    Official XUHoops Resident Legal Scholar.
    (Do not take this seriously)

NIL/Portal is spiraling out of control. I'm giving it a few more years to see if it settles down, but this whole new wild wild west is on a path to remove following and supporting Xavier basketball as one of my life's great pleasures.

I certainly didn't mind student athletes being able to earn some $$ like other students or for a mid-major star to transfer and get a chance to transfer and spend a year or two in a top tier program.

Professional G-Leaguers make $50K-ish ... seems about the right level if there is to be a cap. $500K or more? Why are they worth $500K? That's not just the athlete's NIL ... it's the "NIL of us fans" and the "NIL of the university" and us fans don't get anything, and the university struggles as potential big donors are sinking the big cash into a disappearing hole of a player's pocket, agent's pockets, and player's families' pockets. And with big money, there is now the huge hole of those who exploit gambling, corruption, and crime. Throw this into different laws for different states. This is all ruining the sport, undermining the fan bases, and thus its making it all a less valuable product. It's currently a financial charade, a ponzi-scheme to exploit what us fans really want which is NOT to have our beloved university run and sponsor a full-fledged professional sports team.

Great that Fed-Ex supports its hometown of Memphis. But should I stop using Fed-Ex ($25M to Memphis) if I don't like the Memphis Tigers? Imagine if P&G gave such a transformative bump to only one of UC or XU collective. Or if it gave to both ... why should the whole country pay higher prices for shampoo to support Cincinnati basketball?

I'm not for extra regulation, but the NCAA and the universities need to reclaim what's spiraling out of control. It's hard to come up with concrete suggestions ... here are a couple
    Cap the collective - stop this turning into unrestricted free agency and pay to play
    The Big East or leagues could prohibit players transferring intraleague - maybe they'd have to sit for a year

Will Zach be the last ever recruited high school player to play his whole career at Xavier and join the 1000 point club?

Quote Originally Posted by WCWIII View Post
    NIL/Portal is spiraling out of control. I'm giving it a few more years to see if it settles down, but this whole new wild wild west is on a path to remove following and supporting Xavier basketball as one of my life's great pleasures.

I certainly didn't mind student athletes being able to earn some $$ like other students or for a mid-major star to transfer and get a chance to transfer and spend a year or two in a top tier program.

Professional G-Leaguers make $50K-ish ... seems about the right level if there is to be a cap. $500K or more? Why are they worth $500K? That's not just the athlete's NIL ... it's the "NIL of us fans" and the "NIL of the university" and us fans don't get anything, and the university struggles as potential big donors are sinking the big cash into a disappearing hole of a player's pocket, agent's pockets, and player's families' pockets. And with big money, there is now the huge hole of those who exploit gambling, corruption, and crime. Throw this into different laws for different states. This is all ruining the sport, undermining the fan bases, and thus its making it all a less valuable product. It's currently a financial charade, a ponzi-scheme to exploit what us fans really want which is NOT to have our beloved university run and sponsor a full-fledged professional sports team.

Great that Fed-Ex supports its hometown of Memphis. But should I stop using Fed-Ex ($25M to Memphis) if I don't like the Memphis Tigers? Imagine if P&G gave such a transformative bump to only one of UC or XU collective. Or if it gave to both ... why should the whole country pay higher prices for shampoo to support Cincinnati basketball?

I'm not for extra regulation, but the NCAA and the universities need to reclaim what's spiraling out of control. It's hard to come up with concrete suggestions ... here are a couple
    Cap the collective - stop this turning into unrestricted free agency and pay to play
    The Big East or leagues could prohibit players transferring intraleague - maybe they'd have to sit for a year

Will Zach be the last ever recruited high school player to play his whole career at Xavier and join the 1000 point club?
    Everything that is happening, literally all of it, is because of the courts. If the NCAA tried to implement either one of these, then someone would sue and they would probably win.

The problem is while the old system didn't allow for this kind of craziness and made it feel as though college football and basketball were more tangible than pro sports to a lot of people, it was also illegal.

I wonder what's coming next? Will someone sue on the grounds that they are only allowed to play four seasons?? Will they try and claim that violates anti-trust laws?? And if that does end up in the courts, do they have a case??
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Everything that is happening, literally all of it, is because of the courts. If the NCAA tried to implement either one of these, then someone would sue and they would probably win.

The problem is while the old system didn't allow for this kind of craziness and made it feel as though college football and basketball were more tangible than pro sports to a lot of people, it was also illegal.

I wonder what's coming next? Will someone sue on the grounds that they are only allowed to play four seasons?? Will they try and claim that violates anti-trust laws?? And if that does end up in the courts, do they have a case??
    That's already happened....kind of. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...-s/ar-AA1nJUd4

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    That's already happened....kind of. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...-s/ar-AA1nJUd4
    yeah, but not really. They are suing for a single additonal year of eligibility becasue they came from the IVY League which cancelled it's 2021 season all togetgher due to Covid. So they are saying they never got their "fifth year" This is VERY specific.

I think the broader question is why cant someone just keep playing in college indefinitely? Whatever reasoning can be used fro clear up some of the other issues could be used to justify letting players play more than 4 years. Why is that restricted?

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    yeah, but not really. They are suing for a single additonal year of eligibility becasue they came from the IVY League which cancelled it's 2021 season all togetgher due to Covid. So they are saying they never got their "fifth year" This is VERY specific.

I think the broader question is why cant someone just keep playing in college indefinitely? Whatever reasoning can be used fro clear up some of the other issues could be used to justify letting players play more than 4 years. Why is that restricted?
    I'm placing the over/under at 2027 before something like this makes its way into the courts. I'm also taking the under.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White