Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    All-Conference
    Agree I'm feeling pretty good about next year. Seems we should have a team very capable of making the tournament, which is honestly all I care about. We should be getting there 8-9 times over a decade from a realistic perspective.

But does anyone else worry about the toll it takes on these "not quite ready for retirement" coaches that are very good (like Miller)? How many years can they truly take on building a completely new roster? Seems it will take its toll for these tenured guys.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    Agree I'm feeling pretty good about next year. Seems we should have a team very capable of making the tournament, which is honestly all I care about. We should be getting there 8-9 times over a decade from a realistic perspective.

But does anyone else worry about the toll it takes on these "not quite ready for retirement" coaches that are very good (like Miller)? How many years can they truly take on building a completely new roster? Seems it will take its toll for these tenured guys.
    Or does it make it easier because the coach can identify exactly what he needs and find it amongst college players instead of gambling on a HS kid that may or may not be able to perform at this level?
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    Or does it make it easier because the coach can identify exactly what he needs and find it amongst college players instead of gambling on a HS kid that may or may not be able to perform at this level?
    3-4 guys a year is normal - but this will almost be a complete roster re-construction 2 years in a row. That has to get old sooner rather than later.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    3-4 guys a year is normal - but this will almost be a complete roster re-construction 2 years in a row. That has to get old sooner rather than later.
    I'd agree with you if X was losing players they didn't want to lose. Miller had to be thrilled with this offseason and the ability to so easily overturn a roster he called out as being terrible during the season.

I am sure Miller wanted to keep Claude, other than that, he basically told the others to take a hike.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

This should be teh time of year when you unplug for a few weeks and reset your mind after a grueling season. And instead they have to work the portal (either to bring guys in, or keep his own guys out) for 45 days and if they arent successfull then the next season is potentially;y down the tubes.

there is no better example of the phrase "the season will be won during the off-season" than what we have going on right now.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    This should be teh time of year when you unplug for a few weeks and reset your mind after a grueling season. And instead they have to work the portal (either to bring guys in, or keep his own guys out) for 45 days and if they arent successfull then the next season is potentially;y down the tubes.

there is no better example of the phrase "the season will be won during the off-season" than what we have going on right now.
    Wish I could "not unplug" on vacation in Aruba (or wherever Miller was when people were complaining) for millions a year. These coaches have it rough!
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Junior
    When was high school recruiting done? I thought it was mostly after season where they went hard core into that. Sean has said a lot of times that it’s different but you have to adjust to the times, and that it’s easy as ever to fix problems with teams.

I don’t foresee him getting worn out by it. Honestly seems a little easier than flying around looking at high school kids. You have much better idea on portal guys, I assume a lot more zoom calls and visits. Sounds easier than going and watching AAU games. But it’s obviously a different era, won’t be for all coaches

This nicely fits the theme of this thread

https://www.barttorvik.com/trankpre.php

Miller has us positioned to be top 20 preseason. Well done!
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club