Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Des Leaving.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    That wasn’t the issue. In fact Des’ family was insisting that he play PG, to better set him up for the pros. That wasn’t happening at X and Des will find out that it *probably* won’t happen at any other competitive high major school. If he insists on doing that, welcome to a level below.
    Now X can take the $500k set aside for him and bring in multiple talents.
    Sean knows exactly what he’s doing. The addition of Conwell, Foster and Maddox is no accident.
    Yes SIR!

Sophomore
    I am actually looking forward to next season. It will be exciting and i buy into Sean's firmness about pledging to never again have a lack of depth and talent as last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat View Post
    I wish we could skip forward to the inevitable end-game of all this and have universities just sign players to 4 year contracts -- so at least you can avoid this yearly bullshit of players getting better and then immediately chasing more money or players not being good enough and immediately chasing more PT.

It's made the sport impossible to follow and every year feels like a fantasy re-draft.
    I agree that more will have to be done soon to allow for some kind of greater stability. While it is impressive to see Sean quickly rebuild a team in this new crazy world of NIL, I think he would be the first to point how things got out of hand. Part of the problem (in addition to not know if your players will be around the following year) is that a really good coaching staff can help make a player better and their reward is for that player to take off for another school for their own benefit. While I am not crying coaches that make millions, it’s not fair to those coaches at mid major programs who might. It make a ton of money.

You hear it being said that this NIL situation is making college sports more like professional sports. Well, no, it’s creating much more chaos than we see in professional sports. In the NBA, you’re working with players who have contracts lasting 3+ years so you pretty much know they’ll be on the roster for a number of years. There is much less concern that the team’s best “core” players that the coaches are counting on and the fans are excited about watching most might not be there next year.

This NIL thing is more like parents deciding that maybe their grade school and high school kids deserve a some allowance for doing chores in addition to the free stuff their parents are already giving them and then somehow their kids are instantly given the power to dictate how much they get for their new allowance with the option of leaving home for another family who is willing to give them a bigger allowance because they washing dishes a little bit better.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    I agree that more will have to be done soon to allow for some kind of greater stability. While it is impressive to see Sean quickly rebuild a team in this new crazy world of NIL, I think he would be the first to point how things got out of hand. Part of the problem (in addition to not know if your players will be around the following year) is that a really good coaching staff can help make a player better and their reward is for that player to take off for another school for their own benefit. While I am not crying coaches that make millions, it’s not fair to those coaches at mid major programs who might. It make a ton of money.

You hear it being said that this NIL situation is making college sports more like professional sports. Well, no, it’s creating much more chaos than we see in professional sports. In the NBA, you’re working with players who have contracts lasting 3+ years so you pretty much know they’ll be on the roster for a number of years. There is much less concern that the team’s best “core” players that the coaches are counting on and the fans are excited about watching most might not be there next year.

This NIL thing is more like parents deciding that maybe their grade school and high school kids deserve a some allowance for doing chores in addition to the free stuff their parents are already giving them and then somehow their kids are instantly given the power to dictate how much they get for their new allowance with the option of leaving home for another family who is willing to give them a bigger allowance because they washing dishes a little bit better.
    Yep, it’s bonkers. I don’t like it, but for now, Sean and X are showing that we can navigate this weird world. I’m not going to complain about that.
    Bjork Vanishes After Fan Tricks Her Into Saying Name Backwards ~ TheHardTimes.netb

Quote Originally Posted by Olsingledigit View Post
    I am actually looking forward to next season. It will be exciting and i buy into Sean's firmness about pledging to never again have a lack of depth and talent as last year.
    I haven’t always bought into every coach’s way at X, but with Sean you have a very sincere, caring, transparent coach who has incredible talent and pride in living up to the reputation of being one of the best. When you have a coach who is is a good person and who gets the most out of his players and has high expectations that he feels he needs to meet- you know you are in good hands.

I love the way Mark Few, Jay Wright and Sean Miller coach. Class + Kick Ass.

Sorry to see des go. From the outside he seems likable, hard working and that he did everything right at X. He had very good production considering he was only a soph. I definitely think he has a chance to get to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    Sorry to see des go. From the outside he seems likable, hard working and that he did everything right at X. He had very good production considering he was only a soph. I definitely think he has a chance to get to the next level.
    Will certainly be interesting to see where he lands and how he plays.

I personally think he’ll land at a top program and not play PG.

But if he did get a shot to play Point somewhere, I wonder how his game will be impacted. He will be expected to distribute and run the offense. That’s different than what he was doing at XU. Here he played a lot of 1 on 1 and was obviously great at getting to the rim. But as a PG he will probably be guarded by a smaller quicker guy. Will that matter? Maybe.

Similarly, on defense he will be the on ball defender and will need to keep opposing g PGs in front of him. Not sure if that’s his strength.

In the end, if he does get that PG chance and it means he needs to drop down to a lower level what would it prove if he can drive on and defend against a mid major level Point Guard?

I still think his key to the NBA is his deep shooting. If he figures it out and can hit 37% +, then he’s in the league. If he can’t hit that percentage then he’s likely a G League or overseas guy.

I don’t see how this fascination with playing PG will be the best path to the NBA. We shall see. I’ll be watching him next year