Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BE NCAA Money

Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    I think it was maybe the Atlantic that had the breakdown a couple years ago. I bet Dash would know where to find it.

It’s interesting because what I’m wondering is wouldn’t the American have kept all the past credits?
    In addition to X, Futler and Creighton not sharing in the so-called C7 monies that came over from the old Big East, distributions of NCAAT Unit monies are not distributed equally amongst BE members, but are distributed with higher amounts to those schools that earned the actual units:

We don’t have an exact explanation for why each team gets the exact payout it does, but using DePaul as a baseline (0 NCAA Tournament appearances) and Villanova as a topline (6 appearances) we can deduce that there isn’t an equal distribution of NCAA units/payments.

https://painttouches.com/2022/07/28/...payouts-cover/

Now imagine still being stuck in the A10 with its terrible unit acquisition potential AND the fact that whatever they garner gets spread over 14 teams.

BTW, if you read the article to the end, the author brings up a comparison of Marquette to Wisconsin, and comes to certain conclusions about football schools - more specifically "media-rich" B1G schools versus Big East schools. We own our place - we don't rent, so I'm not seeing an apples to apples comparison here for the most part.

But his ending point is what I have been preaching about for a while now: how important it will be to secure a nice, fat, new media agreement.

Otherwise, you can field a high level football program and have all the overhead and Title IX stuff that comes along with it - SO LONG AS YOU ARE A MEMBER OF THE B1G AND SEC. Everyone else strapping themselves to the mast over football had better watch their numbers.
    X A V I E R

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    In addition to X, Futler and Creighton not sharing in the so-called C7 monies that came over from the old Big East, distributions of NCAAT Unit monies are not distributed equally amongst BE members, but are distributed with higher amounts to those schools that earned the actual units:
    Brew just said the Big East didn't retain those units, the AAC did. Anyone know which is really the case? I thought the BE did until brew said otherwise. Now I have no idea.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Brew just said the Big East didn't retain those units, the AAC did. Anyone know which is really the case? I thought the BE did until brew said otherwise. Now I have no idea.
    It’s my understanding that the C7 retained about $10 million out of a fund that was comprised of entry fees, exit fees, and NCAA tournament units. In other words, they kept a little of the pool in exchange for being able to purchase the BE name and secure MSG, etc.
    X A V I E R

A little detail here, but this was before it was finalized:

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/09/s...versities.html
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    A little detail here, but this was before it was finalized:

Oh, it looks like that article is behind a pay wall. Does it mention anything about the funding? I’m fairly certain the C7 came over with some cash in order to fund their working capital requirements to set up the new conference, higher Val and staff, etc. Granted, they started out in borrowed offices from their law firm, but I do not think they were solely reliant on the Fox media money out of the gate.
    X A V I E R

Ack, I don't subscribe but am able to read it.
    Here are a couple pieces cut out:
    The sale of the Big East name is not an exchange of cash. Instead, the so-called Catholic 7 will pay primarily by leaving behind much, if not all, of the money they would have received from the exit fees of other departing universities and the entry fees from new members, according to two people who have been briefed on the negotiations. The Catholic universities will not pay departure fee
    The document contemplates letting the seven universities retain millions of dollars from their appearances in the N.C.A.A. men’s basketball tournament because they are leaving as a group. Other universities that have departed, or will depart, like West Virginia, Syracuse and Pittsburgh, have left about $50 million with the conference

The sale of the Big East name is not an exchange of cash. Instead, the so-called Catholic 7 will pay primarily by leaving behind much, if not all, of the money they would have received from the exit fees of other departing universities and the entry fees from new members, according to two people who have been briefed on the negotiations. The Catholic universities will not pay departure fee
    The document contemplates letting the seven universities retain millions of dollars from their appearances in the N.C.A.A. men’s basketball tournament because they are leaving as a group. Other universities that have departed, or will depart, like West Virginia, Syracuse and Pittsburgh, have left about $50 million with the conference

Put this into google and when the article comes up, see if you can get into it:

big east ncaa money catholic seven

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post

Put this into google and when the article comes up, see if you can get into it:

big east ncaa money catholic seven
    It's what I recalled:

The basketball schools will receive $10 million, the Big East name and the right to play their conference tournament at Madison Square Garden.

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news...100m-in-split/

They had to break off receiving some cash in order to crank up the new conference. The foresight was extraordinary. The football schools were desperate even then to gobble up as much cash as they could, so they walked off with about $100mm.

The C7? They only walked off with one of the most valuable brands in college hoops and a home address of MSG for the BET moving forward. Then they took $10mm, brought in Val Ackerman, borrowed some law offices while intergalactic headquarters were being established and set up some new email addresses to crank it up.

It could not have gone much better than it did, and we're even better positioned now (assuming UCONN doesn't get uppity about football again) than we were in 2013, even with all of the NIL and portal disruption
    X A V I E R