Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BE NCAA Money

Sophomore
    Anyone know how payouts are allocated between Mens BB, overall Athletic Dept. and the university itself?

Quote Originally Posted by XU_Lou View Post
    Anyone know how payouts are allocated between Mens BB, overall Athletic Dept. and the university itself?
    From what I understand after meeting with athletic department, basketball revenue always helps subsidizing other departments. Of course, not really surprising. To answer your question specifically, how much for “other” is what keeps our university moving forward and funds are moved accordingly.

What really irked me was that the Big East buy-in resulted in monies to UC and the AAAAAC. Someone might remember better the details. Also, my understanding is that the Big East doesn't make public its distribution. Finally, there is no extra payout for winning the championship ... units stop at the semi-finals.

On the Big East becoming the AAC and the "new Big East," the (wikipedia) article gives a good overview and links to different references.
    Last edited by WCWIII; 04-11-2024 at 05:12 AM.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    I think it was maybe the Atlantic that had the breakdown a couple years ago. I bet Dash would know where to find it.

It’s interesting because what I’m wondering is wouldn’t the American have kept all the past credits?
    The American was the new conference. The Big East was the existing conference. It kept the name, MSG, and (unless I am mistaken) the NCAA credits.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    The American was the new conference. The Big East was the existing conference. It kept the name, MSG, and (unless I am mistaken) the NCAA credits.
    Not exactly...

TECHNICALLY the current American is the Old/Classic Big East. The New Big East was a new conference starting from scratch. It was a Baltimore Ravens/Cleveland Browns sort of deal.

NCAA units are paid out over a period of six years. Of all the money the Big East earned from this year's tournament, they will get 1/6th of it this year. They are also still getting money from the previous five tournaments. So, Seton Hall's appearance against Wofford in 2019 is still included in the money that the conference will get this year.

The current Big East was a new conference. It had not existed for the previous five years, so depending on how you want to look at that the shares were initially smaller. As far as Xavier, Butler, and Creighton still getting even less...I really don't know, but...PROBABLY?? It seems like that would be fair. In order to keep the Big East name, branding, and logo one of the things those other seven schools agreed to do was let the American keep all previous NCAA Tournamnet earnings. So, perhaps they should have gotten a little more.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Not exactly...

TECHNICALLY the current American is the Old/Classic Big East. The New Big East was a new conference starting from scratch. It was a Baltimore Ravens/Cleveland Browns sort of deal.

NCAA units are paid out over a period of six years. Of all the money the Big East earned from this year's tournament, they will get 1/6th of it this year. They are also still getting money from the previous five tournaments. So, Seton Hall's appearance against Wofford in 2019 is still included in the money that the conference will get this year.

The current Big East was a new conference. It had not existed for the previous five years, so depending on how you want to look at that the shares were initially smaller. As far as Xavier, Butler, and Creighton still getting even less...I really don't know, but...PROBABLY?? It seems like that would be fair. In order to keep the Big East name, branding, and logo one of the things those other seven schools agreed to do was let the American keep all previous NCAA Tournamnet earnings. So, perhaps they should have gotten a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Not exactly...

Oh interesting, I had this all wrong then. I thought the Big East kept the NCAA credits. I guess maybe that was the trade off for keeping the BE name and MSG?

So no team in the BE was getting any NCAA credits for the tourney years 2010-2014? So if X/Crieghton/Butler were getting smaller shares it was truly a situation where they were getting reduced shares of the current conferences tourney units. So if that is true, I wonder how long that lasted for?
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Oh interesting, I had this all wrong then. I thought the Big East kept the NCAA credits. I guess maybe that was the trade off for keeping the BE name and MSG?

So no team in the BE was getting any NCAA credits for the tourney years 2010-2014? So if X/Crieghton/Butler were getting smaller shares it was truly a situation where they were getting reduced shares of the current conferences tourney units. So if that is true, I wonder how long that lasted for?
    I have no idea. I've heard that X, Butler, and Creighton got less, but I don't know how much less or if that's even true. It just seems to me like that would have been a fair arrangement. The other seven schools were walking away from a lot more than X, BU, and CREI, so it seems fair to me that for a few years they should get a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I have no idea. I've heard that X, Butler, and Creighton got less, but I don't know how much less or if that's even true. It just seems to me like that would have been a fair arrangement. The other seven schools were walking away from a lot more than X, BU, and CREI, so it seems fair to me that for a few years they should get a little more.
    They were walking away either way but yeah, they certainly had the leverage to make that happen if they wanted to.

Getting UCONN when we did was massive to be honest, and they've done their share to help give us some revenue back. The Big East did well this year in the tournament, and hopefully next year we can contribute to that, and maybe get 6-7 teams in.