Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Supporting Member

Big East Scheduling

This has been a topic of discussion for all of us since Selection Sunday. Now, it has been announced that the Big 12-Big East battle will conclude after next season. This on the heels of the Gavitt Games being cancelled as well.

So, what's the end game here and can someone tell me what Val's plan actually is going forward? I see this as quite an issue.
    Last edited by Xville; 04-10-2024 at 09:28 AM.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    This has been a topic of discussion for all of us since Selection Sunday. Now, it has been announced that the Big 12-Big East battle will conclude after next season. This on the heels of the Gavitt Games being cancelled as well.

So, what's the end game here and can someone tell me what Val's plan actually is going forward? I see this as quite an issue.
    From a fan perspective, it sucks because they are typically fun games. However, from a strategy point, it might actually be a net positive. This allows Mario, and the rest of the BE teams, the freedom to schedule in a way to game the NET system to ensure we do not have a repeat of this season with the middle of our conference being left out in the cold.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Junior
    I’ve seen the expanded conferences need to make room for conference games. But also the committee seemed to be impressed with the numbers game and I won’t be surprised to see a push with the Big East to manipulate the numbers in the OOC scheduling. Stinks, but unfortunately rewarded.

Supporting Member
    Gaming the net system seems to make sense, but Val's comments and feedback were that "Gavitt said to just keep scheduling the way we are scheduling."

So, what's really up?

Is it hey X can now go play @ whatever mid to lower tier P6 school so that if they win, that props up the net?

And/Or the Big 12/Big 10 schools cancelling these series' to make it harder on the Big East?
    Last edited by Xville; 04-10-2024 at 09:52 AM.

Sophomore
    Sounds like a grand conspiracy.... geez.

Supporting Member
    Going back to this since Miller just mentioned it on the podcast. He stated that he saw the end of the Gavitt Games and the Big 12-Big East challenge as a positive for X and the Big east challenge. He stated that it gives X flexibility, and that he knows the team better than anyone and what a particular team can handle year to year so let him, Greg and Mario set the schedule accordingly. Long story short, he sees it as a big postive that they are ending. Said that when the Big East was reformed, it made a lot of sense to have these type of arrangements, but now it just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Fair enough Sean!

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Going back to this since Miller just mentioned it on the podcast. He stated that he saw the end of the Gavitt Games and the Big 12-Big East challenge as a positive for X and the Big east challenge. He stated that it gives X flexibility, and that he knows the team better than anyone and what a particular team can handle year to year so let him, Greg and Mario set the schedule accordingly. Long story short, he sees it as a big postive that they are ending. Said that when the Big East was reformed, it made a lot of sense to have these type of arrangements, but now it just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Fair enough Sean!
    I am not surprised at all that a coach would prefer the flexibility to set their own schedule and not leave it in someone else's hands. Miller clearly hated the schedule this year (despite fans liking it bc of the big games).

It isn't like X will struggle to find quality opponents. I like the idea of Sean and Mario and co deciding who to schedule for each Xavier team.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I am not surprised at all that a coach would prefer the flexibility to set their own schedule and not leave it in someone else's hands. Miller clearly hated the schedule this year (despite fans liking it bc of the big games).

It isn't like X will struggle to find quality opponents. I like the idea of Sean and Mario and co deciding who to schedule for each Xavier team.
    Right. Xavier won't have an issue scheduling home and homes with good opponents. The challenges are fun, but Xavier got screwed in them this year haha. The additional flexibility is probably a positive so you can work the schedule the way that's best each year.

Supporting Member
    The only thing I thought was weird was that the Senior Associate of the Commissioners' office tweeted out that they would love to continue both of these series'. I wonder if the other coaches feel the way Sean does.

Junior
    I don't blame Sean for feeling screwed this year. He had a middling, at best team, due to summertime injuries and was dealt the top team in the B1G and the Big12. I think due to the composition of the ACC, that would be a decent matchup with the Big East. As for scheduling, I don't see alot of Power5 schools signing up for Xavier+Miller+Cintas.