• ACC

0 0%
  • Mountain West

0 0%
  • A-10

1 7.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best conference top to bottom

The BEAST was ranked 5th best conference but once again they won the NC. But top to bottom are they the best or is 5th a reasonable ranking?
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    This year? Probably Big 12.

I don't subscribe to KenPom but Bart Torvick has 9 BE teams in the Top 61. Big 12 had 10. Those were the top 2.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    The BEAST was ranked 5th best conference but once again they won the NC. But top to bottom are they the best or is 5th a reasonable ranking?
    The big east plays too many conference games. We dished out 110 losses to our own teams. Strength of schedule formulas take winning percentage into account. It become inbreeding when the calculations also include your opponents opponents.

Think about that. If we go 10-10, then our conference opponents have gone a combined 100-100. And they all play 10 different opponents that have a combined record of 1000-1000. The math just makes us approach .500 collectively.

I think it may have cost us 1 or 2 bids this year.

We aren’t #5.

But back to the question, we had a strong top group this year and a pretty decent middle. The bottom, however, was atrocious.

Supporting Member
    What ranking are you looking at for #5? I know kenpom the big East was second

If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    Gotcha. Thanks. I voted for the big East—-I just choose to forget that DePaul and gtown are in the conference :)

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Gotcha. Thanks. I voted for the big East—-I just choose to forget that DePaul and gtown are in the conference :)
    Relegation?
    Bjork Vanishes After Fan Tricks Her Into Saying Name Backwards ~ TheHardTimes.netb

Was putting the A10 in the poll done to illicit a chuckle?
    X A V I E R

Junior
    Outside the top 3 in the BE I didn’t think a team separated themselves. I really wasn’t impressed with anyone else in the conference. Providence would’ve been solid without the injury though. Frankly Outside maybe the top 7 or 8 teams in the country I thought there was a lot of average bball teams. Anyone could beat anyone. I don’t even think the big 12 was that great. I thought the SEC was the best conference all year top to bottom.

I love the round robin format the big east has, even if it skews the data and we lose out on a tournament team here and there. It’s the best way to determine a champion. Even Bill Self agreed. If you miss the tournament, you have no one to blame but yourself. Pretty simple
    Last edited by Xavier; 04-09-2024 at 09:09 PM.

I’d put the B12 as the best top-to-bottom for this past season, with the BE in 2nd and the SEC in third. But it’s really only in the eye of the beholder. I’m sure that many B10 and Mt.West fans would vote differently. All conferences have their bottom feeders, but DePaul and Gtown are among the worst offenders. I do think that Holtman will make a big difference at DePaul and Gtown will come back sooner rather than later. The vote might change week to week, let alone year to year.