Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    As per the metrics, one of the strongest regular season performances of any conference in history was the 2019-2020 Big East. Now it's impossible to know how things would have played out in the NCAA Tournament, but 7 out of 10 teams appeared to be inside the bubble, it was #1 overall in the NET, they had played one of the strongest overall OOC SOSs and won 80 percent of their OOC games, and 9 of the 10 teams were in the top 65 of the NET making nearly every conference game a quad 1 game.

That was the last year the BE was in a ten team format, and I remember thinking that the metrics would never allow it to be that high again with 11. The Big 12, as good as it was this year, wasn't as good from top to bottom as they were in a ten team format. Not even close. While they were never as strong overall as the Big East, it was oftentimes the #1 overall conference, they oftentimes collectively played a strong overall OOC schedule, and they once sent as many as 8 teams to the NCAA Tournament.

The ACC was never as good and never sent a higher percentage of teams to the NCAA Tournament as they did when they were a 9 team league. Not even close, actually.

The 18 game schedule with 11 teams is better than the 20 game schedule, but not as good as the 18 game schedule with 10 teams because each individual team doesn't get the double boost from every team as they go through conference play.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    As per the metrics, one of the strongest regular season performances of any conference in history was the 2019-2020 Big East. Now it's impossible to know how things would have played out in the NCAA Tournament, but 7 out of 10 teams appeared to be inside the bubble, it was #1 overall in the NET, they had played one of the strongest overall OOC SOSs and won 80 percent of their OOC games, and 9 of the 10 teams were in the top 65 of the NET making nearly every conference game a quad 1 game.

That was the last year the BE was in a ten team format, and I remember thinking that the metrics would never allow it to be that high again with 11. The Big 12, as good as it was this year, wasn't as good from top to bottom as they were in a ten team format. Not even close. While they were never as strong overall as the Big East, it was oftentimes the #1 overall conference, they oftentimes collectively played a strong overall OOC schedule, and they once sent as many as 8 teams to the NCAA Tournament.

The ACC was never as good and never sent a higher percentage of teams to the NCAA Tournament as they did when they were a 9 team league. Not even close, actually.

The 18 game schedule with 11 teams is better than the 20 game schedule, but not as good as the 18 game schedule with 10 teams because each individual team doesn't get the double boost from every team as they go through conference play.
    Wow! The SEARCH feature is much easier to use than I tought!!!

http://www.xavierhoops.com/showthrea...ht=xubrew+east
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Personally I don’t think sos is the issue. I think the committee did a shitty job.

Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    Personally I don’t think sos is the issue. I think the committee did a shitty job.
    The committee didnt make our schedules for us. They didnt decide that we should play 20 conference games which resulted in 120 losses for Big East teams (including the BET). The committee didnt create the secret sauce that is the NET.

The committee just applied its judgement. The Big East put itself in this position. I think the only obvious inclusion in the tourney that was clearly wrong was Virginia. But I'm not sure who was next in line to make it.

either way, even if you DO conclude that the committee just did a "shitty job", we do still recognize that we're stuck with the committee going forward, right?

So why give them a chance to do such a crap job? If we dialed back the non-con just a bit this year, and played 18 games (meaning 2 additional non-con wins per team), our NET rankings would have SOARED and we'd have had 6-7 teams in. There were sub .500 (conference record) teams in the field this year. But SHU, at 13-7, good for 4th place behind a 1,2, & 3 seed in the BE Rankings didnt get in. Too many losses weighted down the NET.